R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Warrantee Nightmare?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:59 AM
GatorS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warrantee Nightmare?

So, I bought my MINI back in February from a guy in Dania Beach, Florida and its been great ever since. When I bought it, however, it did, and still does, have a spot, about the size of a nickel, of what looks like rust on the left, rear quarter pannel. (The spot is a group of little bubbles that protrude a mm or two but remain under the paint) Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that this is warantee work under the 6-year rust protection plan...

Anyways, I've got a couple of options: go to Braman MINI in Ft. Lauderdale and have a friend who is 21 (I'm not) take out a BMW or a MINI for a while while the work is done. OR, I could go to Furman MINI in St. Petersburg. Both are extremely inconvenient as they are both a 2 hour drive from my home or up to a 5 hour drive from here at college.

Since neither dealership has decided to give me a good answer after half a dozen calls to each one over a 6 month period, I've decided to ask on here to see what the deal really is. I finally found out that some regional supervisor guy has to come and inspect the damage and determine if it is covered by the warantee and that takes about a week IF the guy is already planning on coming to town. THEN, that "highly qualified" MINI guy has to send pictures of the damage somewhere else for somone even more "qualified" than himself to see the damage and approve it. Then, and only then, can work begin and who knows how long that is supposed to take...

I've got until June to get this fixed under warantee and I can't go a month without my car. Does anybody have experience with this kind of warantee isue with MINI and know what I could do to save some of my time and cut the nonsense?

Old 10-24-2008, 03:32 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If a regional engineer is required to inspect the issue, most dealerships will tell you exactly when the engineer will be in town so that you can keep using your MINI until the day beforehand.

If pictures are required to be sent to another engineer, I would think that you'd get to pickup your MINI while waiting for a final determination to be made.

When a decision has been made to do the warranty work, you'll be given a date to bring in your MINI--the work itself shouldn't take but a few days to do.

Good luck!

Old 10-24-2008, 07:05 AM
hunter99
4th Gear
Have you tried Vista in Coconut Creek they are not that far from the one in Ft. Lauderdale. Braman is either new to Ft. Lauderdale (moved a couple of years ago away from there) or you are thinking of the MINI dealer in Miami. Lauderadale Imports used to be the BMW MINI dealer in Ft. Lauderdale.

Also, If I remember right, isn't there now a MINI dealer in Naples or Ft. Myers? There is also the one in Orlando and I think there is now one in Palm Beach Gardens.

Check around, there are more dealerships than what you have indicated and calling around might be a good option. I'd start with Vista. Have heard good things about them and they are easy to go to from turnpike. Take the Sample road exit and head west (left turn) and they are about a mile on the right.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:36 AM
orbitup
2nd Gear
It's possible that the bubbles are from a poor prior repair. Maybe you should take it to a body shop and ask them what they think. They will be able to tell if the panel has been refinished.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:37 AM
Kentiki
5th Gear
I can only offer this advice: AVOID South Motors in Miami at all costs.

Ken

Old 10-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Vista is a great dealer

Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 AM
chpsk8
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How is the warranty terms stated? Is it "rust through" or surface rust? I haven't seen too many folks have any luck getting rust repaired under warranty. Any pictures you can post?
I would be upfront with the dealer and let them know that you can't afford to be without a car for too long. They can tell you when they guy will be there. You might have to hang out all day while they look at it, then take it home and wait for the results. After they say yeah or nay you can make an appointment. Body work in my area usually takes 5 days no matter how big or small the job is. The key is to keep telling people that you need the car so they can help minimize the impact on you.

BTW- I wouldn't call this a warranty "nightmare". I could tell you a warranty nightmare story that would make you cry. Try 230 days without your car...

Last edited by chpsk8; 10-24-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:18 AM
GatorS
2nd Gear
Thanks for the great advice guys! The car was bought from Braman BMW/MINI and the only advantage to goign there is that if I bring a 21 year old friend, we get a free loaner...The downside is that EVERYONE there is the laziest bunch of people I have EVER talked to. Oh, and no matter what the issue, even inquiring about buying a new key, glovebox, and MINI emblem, they dont call back. EVER. They are horible.

Are the dealers in Orlando any good? I'm at UF in Gainesville and they seem like they would be most convenient. Also, I dont want to keep driving back and forth to the dealer because its at least 2 hour each way. Any way to make absolutely sure that the problem will be covered before I drop the car off?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:29 AM
J Marshall
2nd Gear
You're going to have to take it to a dealer before they tell you it's covered or not. They need to see it before they make a decision, they're not going to take a chance telling you it's covered and then when you get there it not being covered. That would **** you off more wouldn't it? From your pic I'd say no it won't be covered, it hasn't rusted through or perforated yet. IMO the dealer is doing nothing wrong here. There's nothing they can do over the phone. You're going to have to bite the bullit and drive to a dealer.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:37 AM
orbitup
2nd Gear
It does look like rust. I would still take it to a body shop and ask for an estimate. Then ask them if they think it is from a prior repair or a factory defect. It might save you a lot of trouble.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:05 PM
GatorS
2nd Gear
My car went into Braman MINI of Miami and they said that this kind of rust spot was very rare but completely covered under warantee. They took the car and even gave a loaner (a Honda...) and now I'm stuck wondering how long until it'll be done.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:02 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I know it's unrelated but... I see swirls!

Old 11-20-2008, 07:13 AM
GatorS
2nd Gear
It'll be done Friday and I am completely surprised that a MINI dealership, or at least Braman, can actually do anything but forgetting to return my phonecalls. Anyways, about those swirls...whats the best way to get rid of those?