R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Airbag code 06 - anyone know the fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 06:35 AM
Old Smallblock Guy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag code 06 - anyone know the fix?

long story, I swapped out my drivers seat for a different one and the airbag light came on. I pulled the code and it is coming up 06. tried to reset it but it comes right back on. still throwing the same code. tried putting back the original seat that was o.k for months before I swapped it and still throwing the same code 06..when I decipher the code it reads: firing circut, side airbag, front right side.. is this simply a faulty plug under the seat or ???
anyone know where I should start...(and not at the dealer) dealer is the last resort
THanks

Old 11-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Once an airbag code has been set, the only way to remove it is to first remedy the cause of the problem, most likely you turned on the ignition with the seat removed, the system could not find a functioning seat airbag and set the code. Then you must connect an OBD scanner with the airbag module and turn off the code. A regular OBD scanner does not have the airbag or the antilock brake module. Many local shops have this scanner and module. I did exactly the same thing as you and it cost me $50 for a full scan of the entire car, a full printout of everything found and a turn off of the airbag light.

YD

Old 11-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Old Smallblock Guy
1st Gear
I have a handheld scanner capable to de-code and reset the light.. the light keeps coming back on due to "firing circut, side airbag, front right side"..I need to know why this error?. I have tried both airbags from both seats and still get the error. the odds of two bad airbags are slim.. I have cut and spliced a new yellow connector under the seat, so that isnt it either. just wondering if any techs in the house might know what would cause this error. (oh yeah, I checked the fuse first)

Old 11-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Old Smallblock Guy
1st Gear
Lights out!

BLAM!
Don't know how, when or why, but the airbag finally went out. After keeping the battery unplugged for over an hour (maybe the module reset itself) and after monkey-ing around with the connections on the passenger side seat (the opposite side of the side that I was originally flucking with) the light is o-u-t... For how long, we do not know. For we must live for the day! We do not know if when we wake up tomorrow, the airbag light will rear its ugly head..
Thank you for the love, help and support.

O.S.G
(formerly 70 Chevrolet)
Foxboro - Mass