R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Cooling fan not working...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Cali44redrocket
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooling fan not working...

So about 2 days ago my a/c stopped working, then I noticed that the radiator fan wasn't working either. The p/s fan is still working as I can hear that. And my build date was past the fix, 07/03. Has anybody had the problem of the fan failing? I know there are TONS of threads out there about fans on crack that go like a bat out of hell. I have taken the fan off and by looking at it the electronic components look rather deteriorated. I'm wondering if a new fan unit would solve this problem. Once again....if ANYBODY out there has any insight on this PLEASE help!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 04:52 PM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The fans tend to fail. If you have access to the fan then use a volt meter to measure the connector. There should be battery voltage at the connector when the ECT gets to 105c. There are three wires; one will be ground, the other will be battery voltage all the time (feed to the relay located on the fan shroud) and the smaller wire will have power when the ECM issues a run command; otherwise supply your own power and ground to the connector on the fan side. If it does not run the circuit is likely open.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My cooling fan sounds like it's locked up and making a buzzing noise. My husband noticed it the other day. Now I have no idea how long this as been an issue. I use to hear the fan each time I finished a drive. I haven't noticed it lately. Hubby can says the fan moves freely by hand. Any suggestions before I have to make a appointment at the dealership, which I don't want to do? We have a club run right around the corner that I don't want to miss.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini S Pilot
My cooling fan sounds like it's locked up and making a buzzing noise. My husband noticed it the other day. Now I have no idea how long this as been an issue. I use to hear the fan each time I finished a drive. I haven't noticed it lately. Hubby can says the fan moves freely by hand. Any suggestions before I have to make a appointment at the dealership, which I don't want to do? We have a club run right around the corner that I don't want to miss.
I'm really not sure what kind of fan MINI uses, but if it's a centrifigal clutch, then chances are that is bad. We just had an AC unit go out on a tent here the other day. The fan spun freely when the unit was off, but once you turned it on, it wouldn't move and made the sound where the motor was trying to turn the fan. If yours is doing this, then don't drive it. You can burn the motor up this way. Unfortunately, it sounds like you need to replace the fan.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:43 AM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The fan is electric; no clutch here. If it turns freely the problem is probably elsewhere; use an OBD-II scan tool to monitor the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT). The fan should run at low speed when the temp gets to 105c and turn off at 101c. You will not see high speed till 112c, which should not happen unless you are in extreme ambient heat!.