R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Help: Heat not working and Coolant gauge acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008 | 01:35 PM
ryubrg
|
1st Gear
Help: Heat not working and Coolant gauge acting funny

Hi guys,

Have a 06 Mini CVT. Randomly this afternoon we noticed that cold air was coming out of our vents despite the fact that we had it turned to the red. Then noticed that the coolant temp gauge was pushing red. At first I get warm air out the vents but then it starts to turn cold, almost like when your shower runs out of hot water?

We turned off the heating all together and the coolant temp gauge came back down to normal, but it was still moving around quite a bit -> when we turned off the car, something (maybe the fan) kept going for about a minute while I dialed Mini of Manhattan (who had no one available and hasn't returned my call in two hours).

Also noticed that my windshield wiper fluid shooter keeps getting frozen and wonder if my heat went out a while ago and I just hadn't noticed because I had it on defrost (its been snowing here).

I know I have to take it into the dealer, but is the car drivable under these conditions if I keep the heat off or should I be worried about doing damage the engine with the coolant temp flying around?

Help is appreciated as my dealer is giving me the silent treatment!

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-20-2008 | 01:56 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Have you checked the coolant reservoir? Is there coolant in it? If there is, is the coolant clean and clear?

--Dan
Mach V

Old 12-20-2008 | 02:03 PM
ryubrg
|
1st Gear
Will do.

Old 12-20-2008 | 02:40 PM
blkkouki
4th Gear
chances are for whatever reason you are low on coolant.

Old 12-20-2008 | 04:57 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Several possible items:

1) Low coolant level (perhaps the most obvious, first place I'd look)
2) Thermostat stuck closed or otherwise malfunctioning: Would cause engine to overheat and maybe no heat inside
3) Pinched/obstructed/collapsed hose (unlikely, but maybe)

Good luck - under warranty and should be taken care of, have them check thermostat housing as this is a know leak point.

Old 12-21-2008 | 10:19 AM
ryubrg
|
1st Gear
Thanks so much for the advice guys, I'm really the least handy person alive and this forum is a godsend.

OK. So I was low on Coolant - though not dry. I filled it back up to Max line, and took it for a drive last night and didn't use the heat or AC.

I found that when idling the temp gauge would fly up to the reds, wobble a bit then come back down, and that it would stay right at the half way point when I had my foot on the gas.

Got stuck in traffic, and so drove for a bit with the needle on red, but it always came back down to normal. When we got home we were now about half way between the min and max coolant lines - so you guys are right and I'm definitely losing coolant somewhere.

I live twenty minutes (about 10 miles) from my dealer, should I drive it in or have them tow me there - assuming I fill the coolant tank before driving? Is this the kind of thing they would tow within the warranty? Also, should I expect them to give me a loaner for this?

Its funny - I've brought the car in for a couple of things (the 10K maintenance, a power steering failure) and they've never offered me a loaner, I don't know the etiquette...

Old 12-21-2008 | 10:26 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
If you are losing coolant, it's a good bet that the thermostat housing/gasket has given up, as it does on (pure guess) 10% of these cars. If that's the problem, you may find drips under the front of the engine, which don't evaporate very fast. If that's it, the dealer will probably have parts in stock, as it's an all-to-common problem.

Old 12-21-2008 | 10:33 AM
ryubrg
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OldRick
If you are losing coolant, it's a good bet that the thermostat housing/gasket has given up, as it does on (pure guess) 10% of these cars. If that's the problem, you may find drips under the front of the engine, which don't evaporate very fast. If that's it, the dealer will probably have parts in stock, as it's an all-to-common problem.
Good to know -> is it safe to drive between now and then if I keep giving it coolant?

Old 12-21-2008 | 12:42 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
As long as you keep adding coolant, it should get you there, but don't put it off...

Old 12-21-2008 | 04:04 PM
VASCoop
2nd Gear
I had the same issue - losing coolant - and called MINI of Sterling. They said don't drive it and sent a tow truck asap. Had it fixed the next day under warranty - including the tow. It was the infamous leaking thermostadt housing.

That said, as long as you make sure the coolant is full, you should not have a problem driving it the 10 miles to your dealer. But if it's under warranty, just have them tow it!