R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Possible future MINI owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 07:22 PM
ChuckinNC
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,
The other day I went and test drove a Cooper S. I was pretty impressed with it.
I have been looking for a vehcile with a little more room. (I currently own a Miata). Been reading some posts and it seems to me that all in all people are pretty satisfied with the MINI. If anyone has any advice for me as far as options, etc.. I would apreciate it.

Old 09-25-2003, 07:36 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
chuckinNC,
Aloha and welcome to MCO-
If you have not already test drove a cooper then maybe you could do that- it comes as a automatic (CVT) and 5 speed manual. The Cooper S is 6 speed manual.

There are three common packages.
Premium- with the sunroof (which is popular), auto air con, trip computer, multi function steering wheel
Sport- upgraded wheels-larger, xenon headlights, fog lamps, sports seats and spoiler for the MC, stripes for the MCS
Leather upholstery- in black or lapis blue, dark green or cordoba brown.

There is a cold weather package that some people like in cold climates
Navigational system is optional
Harmon Kardon Audio upgrade is option- pretty good audio upgrade for $550.

For the MC any of the stock wheels or sports wheel are OK. Runflats are alittle more harsh riding. For the MCS you might be better with the stock 16" wheels but everything is runflat unless you order all season performance.

Anthracite dash is very dark but durable-doesn't scratch as much
cloth seats are good- for the MCS the space cloth is popular.
Leatherette is easy to clean but sticky when hot.

The sunroof is very airy and lets too much sun in where there is tropical weather. It's also 50 pounds of extra weight

Old 09-25-2003, 11:12 PM
Cat
4th Gear
Great post, Minihune! I was just going to tell him to do a search LOL!

What I did when deciding was to build MINI after MINI on the MINIUSA site. Then I did a search here on the various options I thought I wanted to see what everyone said about them. There's a lot of debate about sunroofs, for instance. It all depends on what you want to use the MINI for, of course. :smile:

What I realized thanks to this site and driving other MINIs is I want more power. So instead of getting a pre-spec MINI with all the options I'm thinking of getting a more pared-down version so I can afford to add aftermarket parts.

These cars are so addictive when it comes to personalizing them, beware, save your money where you can! LOL!

Old 09-26-2003, 07:49 PM
ChuckinNC
Neutral
Thaks for the advice. I do want to get the sport and premium package. I definatly want the sunroof. I do need to think about the tires. I could probally do without the 17" runflats. Any idea what the replacement costs are for the tires? I did test drive a Cooper S. I really enjoyed it. Main thing I need to do first is sell my Miata. :???: Just wish it had a little more room.

Old 09-26-2003, 07:54 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
Welcome to MCO ChuckinNC !

Being a Miata owner, you are going to fit in here great! I bet there are more MINI owners who are previous Miata, or have the MINI as a 2nd car to a Miata, than any other type of car!

and let me guess, your computer is an Apple ?
(in normal life 5% of home computers are Apple, in the MINI world 30% of home computers are Apple)

oh, you asked for advise! ok, I say, read the forum and learn all you can about options etc... then choose exactly what YOU want on your car. Nothing more, Nothing less. MINI is all about personalization! Your MINI is YOUR MINI! What's great for one person may be something you'd never use or wouldn't care about one way or another! What I think is a cool gadget, others think is a waist of money! but beauty is in the eye of the owner! You design the MINI you want and then you love it!

Old 09-26-2003, 08:06 PM
minihune
>>Thaks for the advice. I do want to get the sport and premium package. I definatly want the sunroof. I do need to think about the tires. I could probally do without the 17" runflats. Any idea what the replacement costs are for the tires? I did test drive a Cooper S. I really enjoyed it. Main thing I need to do first is sell my Miata. :???: Just wish it had a little more room.
>>
For 2004 the packages are bundling options together so you cannot order just the sunroof alone anymore
Premium adds the sunroof
Sport adds the upgraded wheels- S-lyte 17" for the MCS with runflats.
Unless you really need the fog lamps and xenon headlghts the sport option for $1250 might be better saved and stick to the stock 16" wheels and maybe swap out the runflats for better 16" tires like Yokohama AVS ES100 in 205/45-16 size.
Rough cost is $400 or less installed- see tirerack.com and ask for alex.
The advantage is the 16" rims are lighter and will work fine, the tires are much better grip in wet or dry, are smoother riding and will last longer than the runflats. The Yokohamas are not snow tires though. The MCS has enough sports suspension built in to do fine. You can lower the springs later if you like or add a rear swaybar set to the softer setting.

Good luck,

Old 09-26-2003, 08:28 PM
CharlesWil
5th Gear
minihune
I just went to MINIUSA and built a MCS with a sunroof, didn't have to select a package. Where did you get the info it wasn't available unless you bought a package?
Charles

Old 09-26-2003, 08:39 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone's giving you great advice.

Definitely get the multi-function steering wheel. The radio volume **** is so small it's a necessity.

I hate the run-flats, many people get nice performance tires and run with a mini-compressor. My initial inclination was to not get the 17" wheels, even though I got the sport package. Should have stuck with that. I ended up getting the stock 16" V-spoke wheels after owning the car for 3 months. The 17" wheels may not be so bad without run-flats, but in any case, the S-lites that come with the sport package are very heavy. The run-flats are over $200 each.

So many people are so pleased with the space cloth that I wish I'd gotten it. I opted for the no care leatherette. It's very good quality, but hot. There are many complaints about the leather, you might not want to consider it.

Good luck.

Old 09-26-2003, 09:00 PM
truckeecollins
3rd Gear
I got the premium and sport packages. The sunroof is great and when I drive in hot weather I put half of a windshield screen in both the front and the back so heat is not a problem. I don't think the runflats are all that harsh but I put higher performance tires on for autocross. I won the street tire class in G stock in the Reno region. The car is faster than the Miatas in autocrossing. I, unlike many on the website, don't think more power is necessary. The one thing I think is the greatest option is the xenon headlights. They are great. You'll love the car. They only problem is taking the smile off your face when you get out and answering questions everytime you park someplace.
Good luck

Old 09-27-2003, 06:10 AM
inioway
6th Gear
I found it really helped to built car after car exploring options on the MINIUSA site. It's fun and informative. Yup, these are all so personalized it is probably impossibly to generalize anyone's choices and being what you should do. Add me to the list of those enjoying the sunroof. I live in the colder North and actually look forward to the light it will give me in Winter but understand those in hot spots may worry more about the heat. In that same vein, the same for leatherette. I am really happy I got it since it is so high grade, takes less TLC than leather, and is pretty functional for those of us with pooches.

More speed is not my need and I only have a regular Cooper. Even with it I am having trouble not getting tickets. The MA told me to be sure not to take it above 95 or 4500 rpms during breakin. I laughed thinking that would be unlikely. But on the way home from Chicago I had to watch carefully because it seemed to want to cruise along at 90. But I have friends who are really glad to have S's too.

Based on others' posts, the one thing I would definitely recommend is anthracite due to scratching issues. Other than that just have fun. You will regardless your choices. Welcome!

Old 09-27-2003, 06:40 AM
minihune
>>minihune
>>I just went to MINIUSA and built a MCS with a sunroof, didn't have to select a package. Where did you get the info it wasn't available unless you bought a package?

I was told by my dealership that for 2004, the packages that bundled the options together were the only way to get the upgraded items like better wheels or sunroof. In 2003 we could order individual items like Xenons alone. You might confirm this with your own dealership- I'm not sure why MINIUSA site would let you order sunroof only unless it is still working with the 2003 criteria. My dealership doesn't get any new 2004 delivered for another month.

Old 09-27-2003, 06:56 AM
minihune
>>Everyone's giving you great advice.
>>
>>Definitely get the multi-function steering wheel. The radio volume **** is so small it's a necessity.
I did not get this option- it comes with the premium package. I think that it is a good option for controling features from the steering wheel. So very useful. Also helpful from a safety standpoint- hands on the wheel is always good.

>>I hate the run-flats, many people get nice performance tires and run with a mini-compressor. My initial inclination was to not get the 17" wheels, even though I got the sport package. Should have stuck with that. I ended up getting the stock 16" V-spoke wheels after owning the car for 3 months. The 17" wheels may not be so bad without run-flats, but in any case, the S-lites that come with the sport package are very heavy. The run-flats are over $200 each.
If you get the runflats and the bigger 17" wheels it isn't as big a problem as some people mention. On smooth roads the ride is slightly rougher- but mostly smooth. If you have rough roads then it isn't pleasant, if you have concrete road grooves for traction then the runflats will tram in them and make alot of noise. In general grip is good with runflats but not as good as with nonflat ultra performance tires. Tread mileage will vary with runflats but figure more than 20,000 miles easy. Runflats are expensive to replace.

>>So many people are so pleased with the space cloth that I wish I'd gotten it. I opted for the no care leatherette. It's very good quality, but hot. There are many complaints about the leather, you might not want to consider it.
Upholstery options are quite good. For the MCS, space cloth is a no cost option- it is comfortable, looks good-doesn't show dirt/wear, is a neutral color, can be covered easily, works in hot or cold weather. If you want to save $1250 then it is a good option-but it is not luxurious like leather. The best leather combo is with the sport seats- more padding/support but costs $1250 for the leather and a little more for the sports package ($1250) for the MC. The MCS already comes with the sports seats. I have the blue lapis leather and I love it. The quality of the leather is not super soft luxury- for that you should go custom leather- aftermarket $1200 on up depends on the grade of leather.
The problem with Lapis leather is wrinkling of the surface (where you butt is) with normal wear. I have seen it and it is unsightly. I have it now after 7 months ever so faintly. I use leather conditioner on my seats each month- Zaino leather in the bottle or Lexol leather cleaner/conditioner. So far it seems to be doing OK. In the hot summer the leather seats do get sweaty against me (or vice versa). Then it is AC time.

Old 09-28-2003, 09:58 PM
ChuckinNC
Neutral
I want to thank everyone for all the advice. I pretty much know what I want to get on the car. My main decision now is do I get the 17" run-flats or stick with the 16's.
I want to check on the replacement costs of the tires to help me make a decision.
Thanks again to everyone!

Old 09-28-2003, 10:21 PM
Dj_ViP3R
1st Gear
As far as the wheels go, the 17"ers are extremely bulky wheels and will make a difference in the performance of your MINI. However I am unsure of just how much of a difference the extra inch will make. I can definately tell a performance difference between 15" and 17" on the standard Cooper but i am unsure about the S.

In related news the 17"ers look amazing anyway.

Old 09-29-2003, 06:20 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome Chuck!!! In your wheel/tire selection, consider how you will use your Mini. Daily driver? Hobby car? Weekend racer? At MCO we have these types of owners and many more. Maybe e-mail Alex at The Tie Rack (an MCO sponsor). He can help you sort out your needs.

God speed.

Old 09-29-2003, 10:36 AM
jstines
4th Gear
>>I want to thank everyone for all the advice. I pretty much know what I want to get on the car. My main decision now is do I get the 17" run-flats or stick with the 16's.
>>I want to check on the replacement costs of the tires to help me make a decision.
>>Thanks again to everyone!

Good luck with your decision, Chuck. The 17's look very nice and I like how grippy the 17" tires are and the safety factor of the runflats. The cons are that the 17's are heavy, can be difficult to find a tire repair facility that can handle them, and they are expensive to replace. It really comes down to what your objectives are for the tire.

If no one has already mentioned it, I'd like to extend a welcome to you from the MINI Motoring Club of the Carolinas. We're over 80 members strong and very active. Coming to one of our events and meeting other owners is a great way to see a lot of different MINIs at one time and discuss your planned mods, get ideas, etc.

We're still working on our website, but keep an eye on the Southeast-Carolinas Forum and the soon to be exclusive MINI Motoring Club of the Carolinas forum. We'll post our event announcements there.

See ya,
John Stines
Treasurer, M2C2.Org

Old 09-29-2003, 11:09 AM
ChuckinNC
Neutral

>>
>>If no one has already mentioned it, I'd like to extend a welcome to you from the MINI Motoring Club of the Carolinas. We're over 80 members strong and very active. Coming to one of our events and meeting other owners is a great way to see a lot of different MINIs at one time and discuss your planned mods, get ideas, etc.
>>
>>We're still working on our website, but keep an eye on the Southeast-Carolinas Forum and the soon to be exclusive MINI Motoring Club of the Carolinas forum. We'll post our event announcements there.
>>
>>See ya,
>>John Stines
>>Treasurer, M2C2.Org

John,
Where are you guys located at and when is your next event? I am in Greensboro, NC.

Chuck

Old 09-29-2003, 01:31 PM
jstines
4th Gear
>John,
> Where are you guys located at and when is your next event? I am in >Greensboro, NC.

Chuck,

We have club officers in NC and in SC. We try to spread the events and activities throughout NC and SC. The next event is Eurofest down in SC at the BMW facility in October. I don't think I will be able to attend that event, but there will be more information posted soon in the MINI Motoring Club of the Carolinas forum (new forum just created, today). We also try to post in the Southeast-Carolinas forum when we have events.

See ya,
JS

Old 09-29-2003, 01:40 PM
LeeL
5th Gear
I am in the same boat. I am getting ready to order an S and am trying to figure out options.

Minihune,

I'm not sure but I had configured a 2003 car using the MINIUSA configurator, saved it and when I opened it after the MY changeover, a message came up about it being converted to an 04, it did the conversion and the prices changed but the individual options are still there. I've also built a couple others from scratch and have the individual options as well.

I was leaning toward the leather but have been a little scared off by the comments. I just wish I had a dealer near me so I could try all 3 options out.

Any thoughts to how the space cloth does with dog hair?

Old 09-29-2003, 06:42 PM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, I'm kinda behind... you can now order the space cloth in dog hair? Wouldn't that shed? Might get all over me and my beagle.