R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Floor mats - Rubber or carpet???

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 07:22 PM
Vincenzo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to order floor mats for my car and I can't decide between the rubber mats or the carpeted ones. The carpet mats seem more plush and comfortable. But I have a feeling they will get really grimy from the snow in the winter and the mud in the spring. Has anyone tried the rubber mats, and if so, how do you like them?

Also, does anyone know where to get the best price on mats and other MINI accessories?

Thanks.

Old 09-15-2002, 07:34 PM
andrew
3rd Gear
>>I want to order floor mats for my car and I can't decide between the rubber mats or the carpeted ones. The carpet mats seem more plush and comfortable. But I have a feeling they will get really grimy from the snow in the winter and the mud in the spring. Has anyone tried the rubber mats, and if so, how do you like them?
>>
>>Also, does anyone know where to get the best price on mats and other MINI accessories?
>>
>>Thanks.

The rubber mats are flat, as are the carpet mats, and probably will not prevent water from snow, rain, etc. from the underlying carpet.

Weathertech, which you find in auto magazines, has not made a rubber mat yet that has the raised edges or "lips" that serve to make the mat a "tray" and keep water in the mat and away from underlying base carpet. So, what I am saying is that with either mat there will be a problem keeping water from base carpet. I have the regular carpet and plan to change it to a new one each year. I may order a Weathertech mat for a 5 series BMW and customize it myself by cutting to MINI size. I did that with my other car and it works to keep water off carpet.
:smile:

Old 09-15-2002, 07:34 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I have the rubber MINI mats and they're great. I would really recommend them. They'll hold up better and are actually less expensive than the carpeted ones.

If MINI had made Lapis Blue carpeted mats, I would have got those instead, but the rubber ones look very nice.

Old 09-15-2002, 07:48 PM
ColumbusDoug
Neutral
About the rubber mats, did you order them through the dealer or can you do it online? Also what was the cost?

Thanks.

Old 09-15-2002, 07:50 PM
C4
Banned
The MINI mats are great. Our dealer threw them in as a perk at time of delivery. they are black and really enhance protect the interior. For snow/mudd, etc I suggest to look into suitable aftermarket MINI compatible heavy duty rubber-ribbed floor mats.

Old 09-15-2002, 08:26 PM
vincent722
2nd Gear
I have replaced my mats with two rubber-backed doormats the industrial kind. The normally come in two sizes, welcome mat size and store front size. I picked them up the welcome mat size at Home Depot for six bucks each though I known that you can get them almost anywhere. The passenger side needed no cutting the edges curve up the sides slightly and on the driver side I just laid the original mat face down on the bottom traced the outline with a pencil and cut to shape with a razor knife. I also finished the cut edge on the driver side with a heat gun to make the cut a little neater.

Color choice is limited – I have only seen black with a gray weave accent color and brown with the same accent.

These mats will hold up forever and they don’t look as bad as you think.

Vincent

Old 09-15-2002, 10:05 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've got the black rubber boot liner on order, too! The full set of rubber mats, front and back, were about $74, and the carpet mats are $95. I read many comments about the carpet mats showing early signs of wear, and I think the rubber ones are sportier!

Old 09-16-2002, 06:01 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
I have the carpet mats and I really like the way they look....I figure if they get dirty I will just wash them...no biggie. I have had my Mini about a month and a half and there have been no signs of wear and tear but then again I work in an office and my feet don't get too terribly grimy during the day. I guess it all just depends on what look you want to go for....the carpet mats perfectly complement the rest of my interior so I am glad I went with them, but to each their own!
The thing that cracks me up is the size of the mats for the back seat.....SO TINY!

Cheers!
L.Mini

Old 09-16-2002, 07:43 AM
Pebble
4th Gear
Heh, it seems you have two answers, those with carpet that love thier carpet, and those with rubber that love thier rubber!

I have the rubber, and guess what, I love them. I cleaned the sand grit off them the other day by just taking them out and sweeping them clean with a broom. :smile:

They do have a lip, especially at the back and should hold a small amount of water without letting it get on the carpet underneeth. and they do have th shiny MINI logo in the corner. :smile:

I also got the rubber boot mat wich has a large lip and fits well, Also has the MINI logo in the middle.

I am glad i did not get carpet.

Pebble
:smile:

Old 09-16-2002, 07:56 PM
zwoman
3rd Gear
L.Mini and Pebble said it all...so I thought I'd say it, too. It seems people are most happy with what they chose...and so am I. I got the carpet mats; my dealer was charging the same price for either - $115. The carpet complements the interior very well and they velcro to the the bottom so that they stay in place - yes! I've never liked the look of rubber mats; I think carpet looks classier. And we don't get much snow in the Southeast, so all I really need to be concerned about is the rain :smile:

Old 09-17-2002, 09:30 AM
smurf
3rd Gear
I have the grey carpet and they are nice. I picked them since they were light. I am seriously considering buying the rubber mats for the winter though and have a seasonal change using both.

Old 09-17-2002, 09:40 AM
sirron
5th Gear
It's kinda like "Paper or Plastic?" Do you live in a dry or wet part of the country?

Old 09-17-2002, 10:30 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
I purchased the coco-mats from a sponsor of this website: TVA Automotive (Got Mini). I'm happy with them and they look great. I've had coco-mats in the past and found them extremely durable. Just thought I'd add an alternative to carpet and rubber. I have heard that the MINI-brand carpet mats are wearing out quickly and the rubber mats would seem to be slippery and squeaky if wet.

Old 09-17-2002, 10:53 AM
wessieball
2nd Gear
a

Last edited by wessieball; 05-17-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:24 AM
Brownielocks
3rd Gear
I prefer carpeted mats for the same reason Wessieball said above.

I also think that the carpet makes a nice comfort to the heel of your foot upon the gas pedal and there is less chance of slipping (esp. with some of these women's dress shoe heels that are well bizarre to say the least!) your foot.

Old 09-17-2002, 04:28 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I bought both the rubber and the carpet. The carpet are gorgous and the rubber are attractive and very practical. The rubber is heavy and does have a rib making it a nice tray to catch water. The rear is a different story. I thought both carpet and rubber were a waste of money (even so I bought them).

Old 10-12-2002, 04:37 AM
My1stMINI
1st Gear
>>I bought both the rubber and the carpet. The carpet are gorgous and the rubber are attractive and very practical. The rubber is heavy and does have a rib making it a nice tray to catch water. The rear is a different story. I thought both carpet and rubber were a waste of money (even so I bought them).

Do both the carpet and rubber OEM floor mats include the MINI logo? I opted to not get any mats when I picked up my MINI, and am now regretting the decision as I didn't realize that the gas pedal was hinged at the bottom! Is it possible to order OEM floor mats online somewhere so I don't have to make the 75 mile trip back to the dealer ....on the other hand, another excuse to drive!

Thanks.

Old 10-12-2002, 08:11 AM
Gidget
3rd Gear
rubber for winter/carpet for summer :smile:

Old 10-13-2002, 03:11 PM
KPiglet
3rd Gear
I went with the black carpet and am very happy that I did! They are not the traditional carpet mats you see in the stores (or in past cars.) The carpet is very tightly woven (I'm sure there's some technical name for this but I don't know-!) and somewhat rough. It seems like this would prevent some stains, etc. you see on regular carpet. My favorite part: They have a velcro spot that sticks them to the floor so they don't slide all around. I love them!

Old 10-13-2002, 09:03 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
I bought a set of black carpet floor mats from Moss Mini and am pretty happy with them, even though it took forever and a year for them to be shipped in, and I still haven't received my chrome side grills ordered at the same time... but they're only $80.