R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Who is Obsessed? Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003 | 03:03 PM
OctaneGuy
|
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
I've had my MC (Lil'Octane) for 25 days now. In that time I've driven 5200+ miles. In all my life, I have never cared, nor pampered a car (of course he's not JUST a car) so much. Lil'Octane gets a dusting (amazing how much dust settles in my garage at night) every morning before heading out to work, and he gets a quick rub down on all exterior chrome. He's got 8 coats of Zaino, in the past week, and I sponge off the brake dust off his white alloy wheels every other day, sometimes twice in the same day. I keep two 100% cotton cloths in with me at all times. One for wiping off bug guts or bird poo off the exterior, and one for wiping down the windows and chrome. Seems everytime I close the boot hatch, fingerprints are everywhere on the chrome.

I thoroughly enjoy driving a car that looks and feels new. At my office, I have the fortune of being able to look out my window, and see Lil'Octane resting peacefully just 100 feet away.

When I have to park in a parking lot, I look for islands that I can park against, so nobody can park next to Lil'Octane and swing a door into him (atleast one side is safe from harm). I'll be the first to tell you that he is NOT scratch free. He has suffered some traumatic rock chips and major bug splatters on his way home from Memphis, TN to Los Angeles, CA, so I've done my best to maintain him as best as possible.

Today the gardner was here, so I parked Lil'Octane several blocks away to make sure he wouldn't get attacked by a leaf blower! Then I moved him in front of my office when it was safe.

He and I have so much fun together. My wife doesn't quite understand our relationship. She just thinks he's a car.

To read more about our first 2 weeks of bonding read my hiplogs, and be sure to click on the September link on the far right to see everything!

MINI Obsession Hiplogs

Old 09-30-2003 | 03:12 PM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
Obsessed??? Obsessed???

No way! I've only put about 22k miles on my car in 7 months.
I don't wash the car since I'm always driving, no time to wash!

Help I can't stop motoring!
Someone take my keys away, help, HELP!!!!!!

Old 09-30-2003 | 03:15 PM
OctaneGuy
|
Ha ha!!! I love it. I hope it never ends.

Old 09-30-2003 | 03:18 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Octane Guy,
Nope, you just like your MINI and we are ALL the same around here.
So if you are a MINI enthusiast, you are in the right place when you are not out there motoring.

So outdoors- go to your MINI- Motor around. Take a break and go indoors.
Sit down and log in to MCO. Get tired of typing or lurking. Drink some water, use the restroom and go out and motor around.

Repeat until bedtime. Go to sleep and wake up to repeat the process.
It's pretty simple yet quite good. Enough said now get out there and put more miles on your Lil'Octane.

And scratches and dings give him more character.

I was just like you when I got my MINI. Now after 7200 miles I can go a WHOLE day without washing my car! I'm cured! I just like the looks of it when it is clean and shiny. Sorry but it is true. I also get tons of compliments.

Cheers.

Old 09-30-2003 | 03:26 PM
OctaneGuy
|

>>I was just like you when I got my MINI. Now after 7200 miles I can go a WHOLE day without washing my car! I'm cured! I just like the looks of it when it is clean and shiny. Sorry but it is true. I also get tons of compliments.
>>
>>Cheers.

Well, back to dreaming! I'm impressed that you can last a day without washing! I agree 100% about the compliments. Wahoo!!!!!

Richard

Old 09-30-2003 | 05:51 PM
D.J.
6th Gear
Hi Richard, Yeah, we all got the sickness.

Old 09-30-2003 | 11:22 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is characterized by uncontrollable obsessions and compulsions which the sufferer usually recognizes as being excessive or unreasonable. Compulsions are repetitive behaviors or rituals performed by the OCD sufferer, performance of these rituals neutralize the anxiety caused by obsessive thoughts, relief is only temporary. Compulsions are incorporated into the person's daily routine and are not always directly related to the obsessive thought, for example, a person who has aggressive thoughts may repeatedly and needlessly polish their Mini Cooper in an effort to control the thought.

Old 09-30-2003 | 11:33 PM
minihune
>>Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is characterized by uncontrollable obsessions and compulsions which the sufferer usually recognizes as being excessive or unreasonable. Compulsions are repetitive behaviors or rituals performed by the OCD sufferer, performance of these rituals neutralize the anxiety caused by obsessive thoughts, relief is only temporary. Compulsions are incorporated into the person's daily routine and are not always directly related to the obsessive thought, for example, a person who has aggressive thoughts may repeatedly and needlessly polish their Mini Cooper in an effort to control the thought.

OCD in a mild form is not so bad for people in professional school. The ones that don't have OCD may be at higher risk for dropping out. This is because (depending on the school/program), nobody in the sane right mind would go through what some people have to go through to complete professional school (namely Medical education but it does applied to other professional schools).

And yes I do pick out the bugs and their various parts from the radiator with a fine toothpick and tweezers. And no it is not some disorder to do this as it helps to keep the radiator clean and efficient. If you do it on a regular basis then there is less work to do each time.

DJ,
go show your wife all the bugs that are stuck in her 5 series radiator- gross! Now who's crazy.

Old 09-30-2003 | 11:35 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
I drove my current (and second) MINI, Wicked Wanda, an All-Jet Black S, more than 10,000 miles on my 6-week spring roadtrip in April and May. I came home for about 15 hours, unloaded, did laundry, showered, went to sleep, woke up, re-packed, and motored from my home in L.A. up to a friend's Folk Rock Festival in Ferndale (NorCal), then back home about a week later, adding another 2,000 miles! I took delivery April 4, 2003, and now have about 17,200+ miles on the odometer. Yeah....I slowed down the past month, but only because of a death in the family. I get TOTALLY antsy if I don't get out of town in Wanda at least once a week!! I guess I, too, am obsessed...and I've never been happier! Tee hee!

Cheers!
Clover

Old 09-30-2003 | 11:47 PM
minihune
A little OCD never hurt a MINI.
Plus it helps to keep our MINIs so clean!!!

Old 10-01-2003 | 12:04 AM
XAlfa
Banned
>>OCD in a mild form is not so bad for people in professional school. The ones that don't have OCD may be at higher risk for dropping out. This is because (depending on the school/program), nobody in the sane right mind would go through what some people have to go through to complete professional school (namely Medical education but it does applied to other professional schools).

as a would-be california gubernatorial candidate once said...

wachoo talkin bout, willis? :smile:

Old 10-01-2003 | 12:41 AM
OctaneGuy
|
>>Hi Richard, Yeah, we all got the sickness.

I was going to get my license plate OBSSSSD (would be even more suitable for an MCS) or IM OBSSD. Been keeping that quiet for the past few months! I've been wondering the best tool for picking the bugs out. I tried needle nose pliers but they were too big. I love the look of the radiators when they are sparkling clean!

Glad to know we're all normal, or all insane---however you prefer to look at it!

Old 10-01-2003 | 03:57 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
OGuy-- Just between you and me... no one else needs to read this, right... SOME Mini owners have allowed their obssesion to get into their wallets... I'm talkin' major outlays for the slightest performance enhancements, house payments for interior mods and retirement packages for exterior changes... can ya hear me? Do ya know what I'm talkin' about? Have ya got it... that... bad?

Me, I'm at least as crazy as you are, and I'm startin' to get loose with the wallet too... I'm pretty OK for now, hope you are too. Maybe some time with Dr. Phil will straighten us out...

God speed.

Old 10-01-2003 | 04:29 AM
Redleg13
3rd Gear
obsessed?! Heck, I went out and bought a truck I didn't need so that I wouldn't have to drive Mini to the commuter lot and risk door dings (or worse). I've washed her with a bucket of warm water when it was 25 degrees outside. I only drive her when the weather is good and never too close to big trucks that throw stones.. obsessed? no way...

Old 10-01-2003 | 04:46 AM
minihune
>>OGuy-- Just between you and me... no one else needs to read this, right... SOME Mini owners have allowed their obssesion to get into their wallets... I'm talkin' major outlays for the slightest performance enhancements, house payments for interior mods and retirement packages for exterior changes... can ya hear me? Do ya know what I'm talkin' about? Have ya got it... that... bad?

Yes, We have a thread about the $10K club. That is to be superceeded by the $20K club shortly.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp;topic=11936

But before you pass judgement, at work yesterday I was helping to settle a dispute between several persons (female) about the value and weight of several pieces of gold bracelets. 62 grams in four pieces for over $1000 etc. I had my chemistry scale handy to end the dispute about which was heavier- one single piece vs these four.

I'm sorry I don't buy gold (yet). Do they make gold pieces for the MINI???? Just got a new idea! Oh Oh!

>>Me, I'm at least as crazy as you are, and I'm startin' to get loose with the wallet too... I'm pretty OK for now, hope you are too. Maybe some time with Dr. Phil will straighten us out...
My wallet is not loose. It is tight. I have a rubberband around it. Mostly it is empty with receipts. Know what I mean and the credit card is not melted from heavy use- nudge nudge.

Old 10-01-2003 | 04:49 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Sounds like we belong in another subgroup Glad to hear that there are others out there like me

Old 10-01-2003 | 05:29 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Sounds like another typical owner. Situation Normal All Motor On!

Old 10-01-2003 | 05:49 AM
inioway
6th Gear
Of course, there are many of us. I consder Mrs. Peel to not be an ordinary "car". To me she is the special vehicle I plan to keep as long as I can: like that great classic Brit sport car kept until a prized antique. I had never liked cleaning a car but enjoy those time together: 7 coats of zaino in the first 1 1/2 weeks. I also have all sorts of cloths for inside and out. If at all possible I to not park her head in next to others' doors. When unavoidable I also find end spots, try to park in such a way those huge doors beside can't reach her, and put on some magnetic doorguards sold by BMW for just such situations. Yes, things will happen but I already have a dent doctor identified (about 3 hours away but I won't mind the drive).

Knowing bras have their ill effects, but not wanting rock chips, I have one I strap on (the car not me; I am a person of the male persuasion not that overweight to need one) for long drives but only when not raining. Emma goes bra-less when back in town. Yes, she is a libertine and a bit of a hussy, but I respect that.

Oh, I go on too long and others have stated similar behaviors. It is good to read this thread so I know my MOD (Mini Obsessive Disorder) is shared by others.

Old 10-01-2003 | 05:53 AM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
Hey inioway,

How did you make out with the eyes or haven't you gotten around to them yet?

Old 10-01-2003 | 06:15 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
TRUE CONFESSION: Yes, friends... I got it bad. Only my Mini friends will understand this little story.

Yesterday, I went to the bank... I went to the bank to purchase a money order for a small Mini enhancement. Credit card? Check book, you say? Yeah, could've used 'em... but... they would leave a paper trail. She-who-can-not-understand needs not know how much I spent on the gorgeous shift **** I just ordered. I'll not mention my affliction by brand... but it cost $150.00... you know the one. And then, I paid $12.75 to overnight the order, so that I can get it soon!

I'm not a smart man... I'm not a rich man... I'm not an evil man, and I'm not a selfish man. But I'm a bit of a crazy man when it come to my Mini.

God speed.

Old 10-01-2003 | 06:23 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Yes,

The dreaded Money Order and shipping address of the office. CoopDawg, you've got it BAD. Still, the Whalen Shift Machine is probably worth the effort to conceal your tracks. Once you become very proficient at it, your marriage will last a long time.

p.s. We males are clueless when it comes to covering up our purchases, Women really know how to do it. I should know, my house has been remodeled twice already without me ever seeing where the funds came from.

Old 10-01-2003 | 06:31 AM
gobsmaked
3rd Gear
This is normal behavior for a MINI owner. I have over 25k on my MINI and I don’t use it to commute to work all the time, maybe two times a week. If you want to make sure that you are normal and not obsessed look for a similar thread on this site about a year ago. You will find that we are normal in the realm of MINI owners, now from the outside, it might be viewed a little <tick> dif <tick> erent. We are not OBSESSED! Well maybe just a little.

Old 10-01-2003 | 07:10 AM
OctaneGuy
|
>>TRUE CONFESSION: Yes, friends... I got it bad. Only my Mini friends will understand this little story.
>>
>>Yesterday, I went to the bank... I went to the bank to purchase a money order for a small Mini enhancement. Credit card? Check book, you say? Yeah, could've used 'em... but... they would leave a paper trail. She-who-can-not-understand needs not know how much I spent on the gorgeous shift **** I just ordered. I'll not mention my affliction by brand... but it cost $150.00... you know the one. And then, I paid $12.75 to overnight the order, so that I can get it soon!
>>
>>I'm not a smart man... I'm not a rich man... I'm not an evil man, and I'm not a selfish man. But I'm a bit of a crazy man when it come to my Mini.
>>
>>God speed.

I hear you completely!!!! I've done the very same thing at the Post Office. I've had to collect spare cash over the weeks so that it was not traceable! Of course she will eventually find out when she sees that new toy, and I feel like a kid just waiting to get in trouble. But hey, it's worth it!

You'll love the Whalen ****. I got mine months before picking up my car, and it was something I admired all the time. It weighs about twice as much over the stock ****, and makes shifting quicker and easier. Please post a pic when you can, since I assume you got a custom one!

Take care!

Btw, I wanted to say thanks to everyone for responding to this thread. There are way too many to say thanks too, so a big GROUP SHAKE, THANKS!

Old 10-01-2003 | 07:29 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
>>>>TRUE CONFESSION: Yes, friends... I got it bad. Only my Mini friends will understand this little story.
>>>>
>>>>Yesterday, I went to the bank... I went to the bank to purchase a money order for a small Mini enhancement. Credit card? Check book, you say? Yeah, could've used 'em... but... they would leave a paper trail. She-who-can-not-understand needs not know how much I spent on the gorgeous shift **** I just ordered. I'll not mention my affliction by brand... but it cost $150.00... you know the one. And then, I paid $12.75 to overnight the order, so that I can get it soon!
>>>>
>>>>I'm not a smart man... I'm not a rich man... I'm not an evil man, and I'm not a selfish man. But I'm a bit of a crazy man when it come to my Mini.
>>>>
>>>>God speed.
>>

DITTOS DITTOS DITTOS
>>
>>I hear you completely!!!! I've done the very same thing at the Post Office. I've had to collect spare cash over the weeks so that it was not traceable! Of course she will eventually find out when she sees that new toy, and I feel like a kid just waiting to get in trouble. But hey, it's worth it!
>>
>>You'll love the Whalen ****. I got mine months before picking up my car, and it was something I admired all the time. It weighs about twice as much over the stock ****, and makes shifting quicker and easier. Please post a pic when you can, since I assume you got a custom one!
>>
>>Take care!
>>
>>Btw, I wanted to say thanks to everyone for responding to this thread. There are way too many to say thanks too, so a big GROUP SHAKE, THANKS!
>>

Old 10-01-2003 | 07:59 AM
minihune
>>TRUE CONFESSION: Yes, friends... I got it bad. Only my Mini friends will understand this little story.
You need to check out the $10K club thread- On second thought-maybe not. Stay away- you'd be badly influenced to turn to the "dark side"!

>>Yesterday, I went to the bank... I went to the bank to purchase a money order for a small Mini enhancement. Credit card? Check book, you say? Yeah, could've used 'em... but... they would leave a paper trail. She-who-can-not-understand needs not know how much I spent on the gorgeous shift **** I just ordered. I'll not mention my affliction by brand... but it cost $150.00... you know the one. And then, I paid $12.75 to overnight the order, so that I can get it soon!

This is good. Who said you aren't smart?

>>I'm not a smart man... I'm not a rich man... I'm not an evil man, and I'm not a selfish man. But I'm a bit of a crazy man when it come to my Mini.
Bit of a crazy? Is that an english term? Might be.
Here's two schemes- buy stuff for a (male) friend like computer software if he likes games or the like and call it a gift for whatever occassion but he actually provides you the funds. Then in return on your special dates you get a MINI gift from him- Oh how thoughtful. Good male friends are precious aren't they. And of course you pick out the gift and make sure it's paid for- you can reuse the wrap to lower the box charges. Hopefully nobody notices- make it generic like a red box for a red MINI or some such.

Second scheme- set a budget for MINI maintenance and other stuff (upgrades). Make it good for lasting a year. Keep records and if you are within budget then save up for and purchase anything you want. Since there is clearly a budget and records that allow for inspection then all is up front and some additional funds can be saved by not having to purchase those god awful money orders. Plus -no more sneaking around like a CIA agent (you are an agent?0)

Just a thought. It's up to you.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Who is Obsessed? Is this normal?