R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 New to MINI... need preventative maintenance info =)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009 | 07:53 AM
Dizzee Rasca1
|
2nd Gear
New to MINI... need preventative maintenance info =)

Hey guys,

i'm about to jump into a 03 Mini Cooper S in a week or so.

what items should i stock to prevent having the car being completely SOL

i'm guessing....

ps bearing listed in another recent post?
clutch/flywheel?
supercharger/crank belts?
strut tower defenders/anti-mushroom plates? both?

i'm just freaking out since i keep reading all the ps failures/fires and things breaking here and there

Thanks
Ricky

Edit: also can you guys show me a pic of where the PS pump is? so i know what i'm looking for?

Old 03-06-2009 | 08:16 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Very important.... Don't forget to check the front suspension bushings and lower engine control arm support/bushing. These typically require replacement by 50K as the OEM bushings are made of soft crappy rubber.

I replaced mine 2 months ago with Powerflex Polyurethane bushings and I could not be happier. Better steering feel/feedback, better tire wear, more controlled braking.

Old 03-06-2009 | 08:44 AM
Dizzee Rasca1
|
2nd Gear
that's good considering the R53 i'm buying is at 52K miles

could i get that replaced under warranty?

Old 03-06-2009 | 08:47 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dizzee Rasca1
that's good considering the R53 i'm buying is at 52K miles

could i get that replaced under warranty?
Well, your car maybe well out of warranty because it is an '03 (Remember the warranty is 4 years or 50K miles, whichever occurs first).

You could try persuading the dealer (Are you buying used from a MINI dealer?) as a condition to purchase the vehicle, but since bushings are wear and tear items don't keep your hopes up too high.

If you decide to install the Powerflex Bushings, you are looking at a $700 repair, including parts and labor (The car needs to be re-aligned after the new bushings go in).

Old 03-06-2009 | 09:29 AM
Dizzee Rasca1
|
2nd Gear
i'm purchasing from a toyota dealer
they said it's covered for at least another year bumper to bumper etc you know
so i'm gonna call again to verify

how much do the powerflex bushings cost?

Old 03-06-2009 | 09:48 AM
Burn Rubber
1st Gear
Also check for a tow hook in the hatch area ..and pay close attention to the tire wear . just my 0.02.

Old 03-06-2009 | 09:50 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
i'm purchasing from a toyota dealer
they said it's covered for at least another year bumper to bumper etc you know
so i'm gonna call again to verify

how much do the powerflex bushings cost?

To give you an idea..... I ordered my Powerflex Bushings from www.waymotorworks.com a NAM sponsor

I got the following kits:

set of bushings for lower front control arms

bushing and insert for gearbox to engine bushing connection

new lower engine control arm plus bushing and urethane insert

The whole cost was $200, including next day overnight delivery to my independent MINI shop.

To get them installed was $500. That amount includes 3-4 hours labor as the subframe needs to be dropped (Read: a PITA) and then the car needs to be re-aligned after they go in.

Old 03-06-2009 | 10:01 AM
Dizzee Rasca1
|
2nd Gear
^
thanks a lot man!!
great site!

got anymore sites?
thanks
-Ricky

Old 03-06-2009 | 10:02 AM
Dizzee Rasca1
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Burn Rubber
Also check for a tow hook in the hatch area ..and pay close attention to the tire wear . just my 0.02.
thanks for the tip man

Old 03-06-2009 | 10:17 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
^
thanks a lot man!!
great site!

got anymore sites?
thanks
-Ricky

Check the NAM sponsor section.

Old 03-06-2009 | 10:40 AM
Dizzee Rasca1
|
2nd Gear
thanks!

sorry about the noobness

new forum/new car

i've been strictly a Honda head for the past 6 years :D

Old 03-06-2009 | 10:51 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Haha. At one point in time, long ago, I was also an Acura/Honda head. Owned nothing but Hondas for 12 years. Been there, done that, I am glad I moved on.

Old 03-06-2009 | 11:41 AM
Dizzee Rasca1
|
2nd Gear
haha cool man that's reassuring

how many times have you had to worry about the power steering and clutch and suspension during the time you had your R53?

i'm just super worried about dumping 5 grand in repairs within the first 6 months

thanks
-Ricky

Old 03-06-2009 | 11:55 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Well, my clutch has been replaced twice in 50K miles under warranty, no questions asked. Last time was back in December when my dual mass flywheel started to squeal (Look up: Chewbacca noise) in the mornings and the "farting" clutch pedal noise that was due to uneven wear of the clutch plate springs.

My power steering pump is fine (knocking sheetmetal) and the rest of the car has been very solid. It is my hard working daily driver so I am really on top of its maintenance and servicing.

Now I am out of warranty (Almost at 55K miles) but I did purchase the MINI Extended service plan that covers basic maintenance items but also includes the engine belts, brake pads/rotors and of course the OEM clutch assembly. My coverage runs until 100K miles.

So far, the new clutch and flywheel are much, much better than the previous 2 (Original factory clutch and replacement #1) so I am hoping this clutch lasts me a long time. But if it doesn't and bails out on me before 100K miles, MINI will have to replace it again on their dime

Other than that I still think the MINI, generally speaking, is a very high quality product and with proper care and maintenance it should last a long time. I am lucky to have a friend of mine who happens to be a 3 time MINI owner and owns an independent repair shop, so that adds to the peace of mind, if you will, in case the car needs prompt attention.

I would say that before you commit to this '03 MCS make sure you can get as many details as possible on its service and repair history. That will give you a road map as to how the car has been cared for and what problems it has experienced. With the VIN number, you can call your nearest MINI dealer and they should be able to give you a print out with the build sheet and warranty/maintenance history of the car since new. Obviously you need to tell them that the car is sitting at a Toyota dealership and you are seriously thinking about buying it.

I think you will be fine.

Old 03-06-2009 | 12:18 PM
Dizzee Rasca1
|
2nd Gear
i just got off the phone with them

the car has been traded from dealer to dealer according to the carfax and serviced every 2k miles
so he said it's in tip top shape as far as maintanance
carfax shows one official owner

they offer a 3 month/36k warranty bumper to bumper/powertrain
so
i think i'm going to get the extended Service plan to cover tranny/brake issues and keep and forget about the extended warranty. (i'll keep my eyes on the power steering pump and mihgt buy a replacement in the meantime just for backup)

thanks for all the info it's helping out a lot!!

Old 03-06-2009 | 06:00 PM
yyzyyz
Neutral
No Problems with 03 MCS

Just wated to note that I purchased an 03 MCS last year and have had no problems....until today. The airbag warning light has come on. I did some research here and it seems likely that it just needs to be reset, we'll see. Anyway, few people post when they have no problems with their car so keep the issues listed here in perspective. Don't expect Honday or Toyota quality, but then Honda and Toyota cannot match the fun factor this car has. Just drive it.

Old 03-07-2009 | 05:01 AM
thecigarman
4th Gear
Read the various threads about the Power Steering problems. Make certain that they check to see that the fan for the PS turns freely and runs when the AC is on.

I bought an extended warranty--it was a life saver when the PS went out. Make sure the PS is covered on your warranty.

The runflats are very noisy and the car rides better with non-runflats. Since there is no storage place for a spare you will either have to get a donut (Jetta and small Chevy donuts fit, just check the bolt spacing) or a slime kit in case of a flat.

I love my '03, make sure you post pics and tell us it's name. Best of luck with it.