R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 What to do, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 07:52 PM
vortsenberrger
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, i just dont know what to do...
I currently have a '95 jetta, I'm 18 and in my first year at community college, besides the fact that i dont know if i should go to an automotive tech school instead of community college(advice on this is also accepted), but i just saw the italian job and now i have to have a MINI!!! I just want advice, maybe im lookin for some people with minis to tell me to get one.
I make 9.50 an hour workin part time and have a good 6,000 dollars to my name (including the 95 jetta).

Maybe i'm just an idiot, but im also new so i guess this is a little info about myself.

Go MINIs

Old 10-10-2003, 07:57 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry I can't tell you to get one. Working part time @ only 9.50 an hr and you want a new 20k car? That's a good way to get into LIFELONG debt. Been there, done that. Don't do it.

Old 10-10-2003, 08:01 PM
nfo
6th Gear
don't do it man...
you'll be eating ramen noodles for the next 5 years! heheheh
seriously!
i have a part time job that pays about that much and a full time job that pays a bit more than that one. i still thought my monthly payments were too much!

Old 10-10-2003, 09:45 PM
vortsenberrger
Neutral
Good advice.
Man, this is the most active forum i've ever been on, and its only for one car!!!!!!
I guess ill just sock away my money for a couple of years and just see how im doing then

But, rest assured, that money will now go into a savings account i will informally name "mini cooper fund"

i hope you guys dont mind me maybe seeing whats the latest with the coops from time to time and maybe joinin' in some conversation, i love these cars just from the looks of 'em, i gotta have my pops come with me to test drive one (so that they take me seriously and 'cause he likes em too).

any other input is welcome, i dont want these words to end the thread

Old 10-10-2003, 09:52 PM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey there Vortsenberrger! At this point you might be able to find a used Mini... there was one for sale by my house for 10k a few weeks back. Have you gone to a dealership and tested one? Seems like a logical next step. Keep the idea alive... you may find a way...

God speed.

Old 10-10-2003, 10:00 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
>>Good advice.
>>Man, this is the most active forum i've ever been on, and its only for one car!!!!!!
>>I guess ill just sock away my money for a couple of years and just see how im doing then
>>
>>But, rest assured, that money will now go into a savings account i will informally name "mini cooper fund"
>>
>>i hope you guys dont mind me maybe seeing whats the latest with the coops from time to time and maybe joinin' in some conversation, i love these cars just from the looks of 'em, i gotta have my pops come with me to test drive one (so that they take me seriously and 'cause he likes em too).
>>
>>any other input is welcome, i dont want these words to end the thread
This past year the MINI has been extremely popular but production might increase a bit and that will help. More MINIs will hit the used market but still have somewhat high prices compared to other cars. That is OK because a used MINI is a good value. New ones are pricey.

Just save up what you can and join us on this site for a lively discussion and maybe go out to a MINI club event in your area if possible- that is a good way to meet owners and see the MINIs up close.

Old 10-10-2003, 10:23 PM
XAlfa
Banned
The Mini is definitely not worth the risk of bankruptcy. You'll be completely over your current infatuation in less than a year.

If you want Mini-like handling on a budget, then look at early 90s Acura Integra, Mazda Miata, Nissan Sentra SER, or Inifiniti G20 (thru 96). All fantastic driver's cars. You can find good ones (albeit with high miles) for under $5k.

Old 10-11-2003, 06:40 AM
KevM
4th Gear
>>Hey, i just dont know what to do...
>>I currently have a '95 jetta, I'm 18 and in my first year at community college, besides the fact that i dont know if i should go to an automotive tech school instead of community college(advice on this is also accepted), but i just saw the italian job and now i have to have a MINI!!! I just want advice, maybe im lookin for some people with minis to tell me to get one.
>>I make 9.50 an hour workin part time and have a good 6,000 dollars to my name (including the 95 jetta).
>>
>>Maybe i'm just an idiot, but im also new so i guess this is a little info about myself.
>>
>>Go MINIs

Hi Vortsenberrger... WELCOME... and stick around whether or not you're drivin' a Mini doesn't matter.

Since no one else wants to tackle the issue, I will.

My advice on college vs. tech school is GET A BA/BS FIRST... then decide if you want to go to tech school.

I've been in the automotive and marine technical industry my whole career (little more than 15 years... well, more if you count the fact that I put myself through college as an automotive tech).

First off, I've seen very few techs that want to remain turning wrenches their whole lives. Many settle for LOWER paying jobs just to get off their feet or because they've become injured (or just plain older and it's harder to do the job).

The better you prepare yourself now, the more options you'll leave yourself later. A tech with a college degree is a sure thing to make service manager in a dealership (or general manager someday). Furthermore, you better prepare yourself to own your own business, if that's your goal.

Additionally, cars/trucks are becoming more and more sophisticated with electronic controls for engines, transmissions, brakes, as well as more and more chassis functions. The techs who really make it are the ones who best understand scan tools, wave forms and electronic intermittent diagnostics.

A degree in science or business would do you well.

Good luck and keep your eyes on the prize!

Kev

Our Baby? - she's an 03 Elect Blue (white roof/wheels) MCS, w/ all the toys (premium, cold, h/k, Nav, xenon, fogs etc) !

Old 10-11-2003, 09:07 AM
Cat
4th Gear
>>Hey, i just dont know what to do...
>>I currently have a '95 jetta, I'm 18 and in my first year at community college, besides the fact that i dont know if i should go to an automotive tech school instead of community college(advice on this is also accepted), but i just saw the italian job and now i have to have a MINI!!! I just want advice, maybe im lookin for some people with minis to tell me to get one.
>>I make 9.50 an hour workin part time and have a good 6,000 dollars to my name (including the 95 jetta).
>>
>>Maybe i'm just an idiot, but im also new so i guess this is a little info about myself.
>>
>>Go MINIs

Hi and welcome to the forum! Feel free to hang out here - it helps with the MINI itch I can tell you!

As an ex-English teacher and currently under-employed possessor of a Master's degree in Software Engineering, I say go to AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICAL SCHOOL.

If you love working on cars and have a talent for both the regular wrench hardware stuff and the computer techie aspect, there is a real need for these kind of knowledgeable car people. You can take your knowledge, if you have any gumption, and really do something with it. If you get tired of working at a garage, you can move on up to Quality Assurance, for instance. The possibilities are endless. Cars are going to get smarter and smarter and the workforce making and repairing them must do the same, and very few people are.

A basic college degree won't do much for you anymore, unless you want to work in an office, which I do not recommend unless you're the type of person who doesn't easily get bored.

You're much better off starting your own business and hiring the people wtih the degrees rather than getting one yourself.

Don't buy a MINI yet. Make it your reward for creating assets. Start asking yourself, "HOW can I afford this?" and see what you can come up with. Maybe you can start investing your pennies in penny stocks, earn money on the side, that kind of thing. In other words, start putting your energy into becoming something other than a wage-slave.

Take control of your life and manage your own business rather than managing your boss's or the bank's, because before you know it you'll be 40 and living in a van down by the river!

Seriously, though, this is what I wish someone had told me when I was your age, but all I ever got was the swill about going to school and getting a good job.

Almost due: '03 EB/W; 1,2,3, R/S, H/K

Old 10-11-2003, 09:37 AM
inioway
6th Gear
By all means stick around. All who are interested in Minis are welcome. Lots of posters don't actually have one.

Also, it does seem like you should wait for ownership until it doesn't force you to take on another job and not have time to enjoy it. Please please please don't fall for those free credit cards that leave you paying off for the rest of your life.

Here's a suggestion. Make friends with Mini owners in your area. Vicarious ownership might help. Some of us even like letting others take our "cute" cars for a spin to show they are more than that. Better yet, date someone with one, of course not only for that reason. I am certain a female with a Mini would have lots and lots of good qualities. At least that's my experience.

Years spin by slower at 18 than my, umm, more advanced age. But in a couple of years there will be lots of used ones on the market.

Best Wishes!

Old 10-11-2003, 09:47 AM
Pebbles
6th Gear
I vote NO! Please do not buy a car, a dog, a anything, based on what you see in a movie! Do not get caught up in a fad and spend your money.

I vote to keep the Jetta. If you are an auto mechanic type, you can fix it any time it breaks. That's the best thing you have going! Owning a car and knowing how to fix it. This allows you to live and spend your money on other things.

Oh, and about what to do - like go to community college or auto tech school. Only you know what gives you the most sense of accomplishment. If finding what's wrong with an engine and seeing it run perfectly is it, then go do it. However, if other parts of your life, working with kids, working with numbers, working with ideas, being creative, etc... make you proud - then go do that!

Old 10-11-2003, 10:08 AM
speltzer
5th Gear
I agree with most postings. DO NOT go into debt at 18 buying a Mini. Get your Bachelors degree while you are still young and life is easy. Have you seen the babes that go to college? Won't find that at a tech school. Get your defree first, then see how things go. It is an investment in your future earning potential and something nobody can take away with you. Good luck. Find a college chick with a Mini who's parents are making the payments!

Old 10-11-2003, 10:24 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
:smile:

I agree that getting into debt to own a car, even a MINI, is not a good idea for a young man. Hang on to your Jetta for a while, and do look for a good used MINI in a year or two. In the meantime, come here and learn all you can about MINIs and have fun with all of us!

Cheers!
Clover

Old 10-11-2003, 10:25 AM
nammerz
4th Gear
at the age of 19, i recommend you going to school. i myself have saved double but it took a loonnnngggg time. and i got myself a mini. do i regret it? well it all depends on how you think of it. just know that you wont have a fun life with your friends since you'll be working like crazy. im a full time student at cal state hayward and a semi full time worker. (semi as in like i can work up to 55 hours a week but work at least 20) it all depends. haha ok ok part time worker. but because i worked so hard to make that money, i ended up losing my gf cuz i was so selfish. but enough of my past life. i recommend you just working your regular schedule and going to school dont worry about getting your mini cuz you already have a car right now. just save up cuz there will be other minis that you can buy in the future... hMmm perhaps used ones in fact. but it all comes down to your decision. remember people may give opinions but the final decision comes all down to you.

Old 10-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Bcooper56
Banned
I say do not buy the car. In essence you should spend about 1/3 of what you make purcashing a car. So in order to comfortably own the mini, you should make at least 60-65K a year, in my opinion. That is the golden rule I always followed, and it has taken me pretty far in life. As to college, go to college, get a degree, will help you in the long run. :smile:

-Barry

Old 10-11-2003, 04:47 PM
zfxr
5th Gear
I'm 25 at the moment, I went to college full-time. For most of the time I was at school, I sported a wonderful 1989 Pontiac Bonneville SE. I wanted a variety of cars, but kept it until my Sr. year (and a job offer was signed, signing bonus check
was cashed). Wasn't fun, but it got me where I had to go and didn't let me down...
A 1995 Jetta is excellent car, my friend has a 1996 Jetta Wolfsburg with 130,000Mi- keeps going. We've both fixed it from time to time, but it's still reliable and drives nice.

Technical cool is indeed good, but a BA/BS (In the long-term), will open more doors. I have an undergrad in MIS and still might go back for an MBA in a few years. Tough job market now, IMHO.

If I were you, I'd wait a year or two, I know it sucks. Mini's have excellent residuals at the moment, and I think they will remain strong. However, I would expect them to soften a bit in the next few years. Not much, but as more used Minis come into the market- the supply/demand equation will become better. At that moment, then you would be able to perhaps pick up a used one a year or two old for perhaps mid teens? From what I've read, a 2002 Mini is a bit risky- as they were still ironing out the bugs then. I'd wait for a 2003.

I'm taking the plunge into a 2004 MCS soon, but am still living at home (for various reasons) and managed to pay off all my remaining student loans + cars. 1/2 is getting financed, the other 1/2 is from selling Olds Intrigue + Corvette leasebuyout & turnaround sale.
I work for Primerica selling a few mortgages on the side. I'm not a huge fan of the program (for those who are in it- my home office is Livonia, MI). They did give one piece of advice that seemed very solid. Don't spend more than 25% of of your income (~20% is more ideal at the higher incomes) on a car+insurance+reg. Working your way out of debt is exceedingly difficult.

After you get your degree or tech school done, you'll be making some nice cash and can then turn all that anticipation into a new ordered MCS :smile:

caio,

-Matt

Old 10-12-2003, 08:40 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
k, here's my 2 cents:

Buying a car right now probably wouldn't be your best option--particularly since you presently have a good, running car and the ability to fix it. So, my advice for saving up for a MINI is as follows:

1. I cannot stress this enough: GET A FINANCIAL PLANNER! It seriously costs about $100 per year for the services (including free lunches--yummy!
And continue to hang out with us--we're very cool people.

Old 10-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Cat
4th Gear
You go girl! Fantastic advice.

My BA degree didn't get me any jobs, my ability to type has saved me more times than my education. But then, I think to do a really good job hunt you have to hire someone who knows how to get at those jobs that aren't advertised, like Allen & Associates. Costs 1500 bucks but it's tax deductible.

How does one go about getting a good financial planner? That's one of my goals for next year. (Oh sorry if this hijacks the thread!)

Old 10-12-2003, 10:14 AM
zfxr
5th Gear
Om- that advice is so right on- just having a degree isn't anything anymore. You have to have something special to market- whatever it is. Certifications are proof that you have the abilities. Volks, I commend you on asking for advice- shows a great deal of maturity!

I know so many people that thought I'll be a programmer, get a comp sci degree. Make it big in the tech industry. I have a friend who was a .com kid, went from $1,000,000 worth, BMW M3, kick azz house in Silicon Valley. Then he lost it all- his company went down. He's selling cars Florida now at a BMW dealer (no, not a Mini BMW dealer- first thing I asked when he started!). Nothing, and I do mean nothing is secure in job markets these days. I saw one of my co-workers at Dow Chemical, 25 years veteran of the company- sharp as a samurai sword- get outsourced to Accenture (Indenture!) then laid off in 2 months. His "role was redundant" the company told him.
Always have a plan B, a financial reserve (and try not to run it with the fuel tank warning light on :smile: when possible. A good book I rather like is "Rich Dad Poor Dad" from David Kyosaki. As Mr. Tyler Durden in Fight Club says- Don't let the things you own end up owning you!

hope this helps (or muddies up?) things :smile:

-Matt

Old 10-12-2003, 10:26 AM
Xanthus
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
Look for used Minis.

There are some on e-bay.

http://dealer.minimania.com/web/id/4109/ClassDetail.cfm

Good Luck