R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Leather Disappointment...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 06:21 AM
amagnetta
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Black/White Cooper with Cordoba Beige Leather - which is BEAUTIFUL to look at and silky soft to the touch. My disappointment lies in how it seems to be wearing in only a few months! I really do not like seat covers, they irritate me - but I am really WORRIED about long term wear.

Drivers side has gotten dirty (where my lower back hits the seat) and I can't get it clean (yet!) - I've tried Zymol cleaner so far...

Yesterday I noticed a "chip" in the passenger seat - teeny tiny little scratch, where the seemingly DELICATE top layer of leather came off. Underneath looks like white fabric? No one sits in the passenger seat, so the chip had to be caused by a grocery bag (?) or something hitting it as I put it on the floor...

I thought leather would wear the best - that why I shelled out the extra bucks for it!
Well... actually I think my final decision was based on the fact that I did not like any of the vinyl colors - and since the color of the seats effects to color of the door panels...!

Feeling like I should have gone with Tartan Red cloth now... Oh Well, live and learn I guess.

Anyone have advice or a better experience with their leather?

Old 09-18-2002, 07:01 AM
scoobs
3rd Gear
That should be covered under warranty. I've seen another post indicating premature wear. I love the leather but have opted for the leatherette. Sorry! But, don't be shy with your dealer. Good luck! :???:

Old 09-18-2002, 07:43 AM
C4
Banned
The MINI/BMW Leatherette appears to be of very high quality and more durable than the real cowhide option. We saved $1,250 going with the standard Leatherette seats and couldn't be happier.

However, if more seat leather material choices/texttures/colors are desired, then real leather is the only way to go. I wonder how owners of Profile and Lapis Leather are doing in terms of long term wear. To me profile leather appears to be tough looking but I could be wrong.

In Canada, MINI offers Silver Gray Kalaeido cloth seats, which are not available in the US.

Old 09-26-2002, 01:59 PM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
I'm with MINI Division. I've passed this message on to a MINI National Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon, or if you prefer, you can call us at (866) ASK MINI.

MINI Division Customer Relations

Old 09-26-2002, 05:03 PM
bigmini
2nd Gear
You're scaring me. I've ordered the lapis blue leather, but I do hear a lot of leather bashing here. I'm sure leather will increase the resale value of your mini, but occasionally I wonder if it's worth the extra 1250. Wish leatherette came in more colors.

Old 09-26-2002, 05:55 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
Profile leather (with the little round bumps) is much firmer and more durable than the cordoba. No wear problems yet with mine and it's holding up well. I clean and condition it regularly though (every week when I wash it). It will soften up a little I think, but it's not as delicate as the originally softer leather choices which is a plus. I use Zaino Brothers products on it for now, but am looking for something better. Try Lexol I guess?

Yes, your problem with the abnormal wear is definetly under warranty. I hope they take care of it for you! :smile:

Old 09-26-2002, 06:45 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
way to jump in there MINIdivision hope you folks stay this tuned into your customers.