R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Engine doesn't start on first turn of key sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:44 AM
polepino
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine doesn't start on first turn of key sometimes

Hi all,

I've noticed an issue that just crept up recently in the past month or so. Sometimes, when the car hasn't been used all day or so, usually in the mornings, when I first insert the key, depress the clutch, and turn it the engine won't turn at all. The electric components come on but the engine won't turn, no alternator noise or anything. I usually have to turn the key back to the first position and then turn her again and the car turns on like normal. Anyone else encounter this? It doesn't seem too problematic right now, as it occurs maybe once a week, but I don't know if its a sign of a larger problem?

Old 05-03-2009, 06:59 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Long Shot........

Originally Posted by polepino
Hi all,

I've noticed an issue that just crept up recently in the past month or so. Sometimes, when the car hasn't been used all day or so, usually in the mornings, when I first insert the key, depress the clutch, and turn it the engine won't turn at all. The electric components come on but the engine won't turn, no alternator noise or anything. I usually have to turn the key back to the first position and then turn her again and the car turns on like normal. Anyone else encounter this? It doesn't seem too problematic right now, as it occurs maybe once a week, but I don't know if its a sign of a larger problem?
It's a long shot but don't these keys somehow communicate thru the ignition somehow when inserted ? Or maybe it's the anti-theft alarm set up if your mini is so equipped ?

Try using the other key for a while and see what happens. And check any fuses you may have for the anti-theft system.

I have a hard time believing it's the ignition lock and this is the only other thing I can come up with right now. Sorry.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:28 PM
richord
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Problems Starting

I had this problem last year on my 2006. One time I had to try about 10 times. The only other symptom was that the plastic cover over the post under the hood for attaching the jumper cable was melted at the top. The dealer replaced the plastic cover and the problem never occured again. I carry the spare plastic key just in case it happens again. I read that sometimes to sensor does not pick up the security code from the key.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:57 PM
polepino
4th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
It's a long shot but don't these keys somehow communicate thru the ignition somehow when inserted ? Or maybe it's the anti-theft alarm set up if your mini is so equipped ?

Try using the other key for a while and see what happens. And check any fuses you may have for the anti-theft system.

I have a hard time believing it's the ignition lock and this is the only other thing I can come up with right now. Sorry.
I'll try using the other key. I am due to switch back to it since I do it around every six months or so. I don't have the anti-theft system by the way.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:09 PM
slickfast
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
May I suggest a faulty ignition switch? My last car, an Audi A6, had this problem. Identical symptoms, btw. It's a moderately cheap part ($30-40 IIRC), and the labor shouldn't be too bad. Better yet, get a Bentley Manual and do it yourself!

Old 05-04-2009, 10:11 AM
itsminibtch
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
i've noticed that in the morning, or if my car hasnt been started in a while, it takes a little longer to start when i put the key in... i've never had to try multiple times though... goodluck with the fix.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:33 AM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I posted this years ago but my be of help.

when you yurn the key on (not start to engage the starter) the system checks various functions)

If you jump in and turn the key ... (like making a get away) the system will not be able to check all needed functions)
Sometimes it wont start at all, sometimes a window wont work, sometimes the AC wont blow ...you get the picture.

PROOF... get in your car and turn the key to ON ... (not starter engage) look at the lowest indicator of your fuel gauge it will be RED..

when the self test is complete the indicator will turn to the nice orange like the others.
The test to do with fuel ... is the last test in the sequence.

Your then good to go.

You may have an issue but ALL shoud use the test system ...it only takes a moment (sometimes 10 seconds) ... then all of the systems will work.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:04 PM
polepino
4th Gear
Originally Posted by COR BLMY
I posted this years ago but my be of help.

when you yurn the key on (not start to engage the starter) the system checks various functions)

If you jump in and turn the key ... (like making a get away) the system will not be able to check all needed functions)
Sometimes it wont start at all, sometimes a window wont work, sometimes the AC wont blow ...you get the picture.

PROOF... get in your car and turn the key to ON ... (not starter engage) look at the lowest indicator of your fuel gauge it will be RED..

when the self test is complete the indicator will turn to the nice orange like the others.
The test to do with fuel ... is the last test in the sequence.

Your then good to go.

You may have an issue but ALL shoud use the test system ...it only takes a moment (sometimes 10 seconds) ... then all of the systems will work.
Hmm thanks for the information on this. I have noticed that my problem occurs when I just stick the key in and turn it(the 'getaway' method) as opposed to slowing down a bit.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:53 PM
slickfast
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you should NOT, I repeat, should NOT, have to do this. Although you may be able to get the systems running properly, there is still something wrong with the car. You've just found a way to live with it.

I still stand on the ignition switch. Check it out.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:16 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes ...you should have to do this ...
it is the way the system is programed.

Could be other issues going on here .
But ... This could be EXACTLY whats happening

For all this tip will help a bunch.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Mark C.
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is probably nothing wrong with your car. I've had mine for 5 years and every spring this happens when the formulation of gasoline changes (they add ethonol for the summer months). It seems to take the ECU a couple weeks to adjust to the new fuel mixture, then the problem stops.

This is very common.

I just noticed that your car does not turn over at all on the first turn of the key, so I may be incorrect about this, but it's worth noting...

Old 08-10-2011, 09:20 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nothing like reviving a dead thread....

Twice in the last month I've encountered the precise symptoms described by the OP, but with one minor addition:

The SES light goes on and I get an "EP" display on the clock/odo. After about 24 hours, the "EP" display just goes away on its own, and the SES light goes out on the next start or two thereafter.

This isn't really a problem -- I just have to remember to be deliberate and not rush in starting the car -- but just struck me as being odd and I haven't seen anything about it anywhere.

I just hope it's not a symptom of a bad ignition switch, dying battery (I'm still on OEM @ 6+ years/~60k miles), etc....