R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Could The OBC Be A Dealer Programmable Option In '04 Minis

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 11:18 AM
jmciver
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I have not taken apart the dash to get to the wires here is what I am thinking....

1. My '04 MCS came with the OBC button on the light stalk (where you turn the head/parking lights on/off). This button allows me to switch between outside temp and speed, which I guess is a new option for '04.

2. After looking at a DIY OBC install, all that was essentially done was to run a wire from the tach to an aftermarket button that this particular individual mounted on the center console (he did not want to buy/use the light stalk with the OBC button). The button is also connected to a 12V power source in order to function properly. Pressing the button cycles through the various OBC functions.

3. The above install method is pretty much identical to the oficial OBC retrofit instructions except he used his own button instead of the ligh switch stalk.

Since I already have the button, I wonder if the wires are already run between the light switch stalk, fuse panel and tach, just like in the official retrofit instructions. That way it would be a matter of programming the car to turn on the other features of the OBC. The dealers don't seem to be up to speed on how to program the '04s yet in everything from the factory alarm to the selective locking system. What do you guys think?

Old 10-26-2003, 02:19 AM
kirstycud
1st Gear
The dealers don't seem to be up to speed on how to program the '04s yet in everything from the factory alarm to the selective locking system. What do you guys think?
I got my MCS about 2 weeks ago, and I asked when I took delivery if I could change some of the settings, (I had read on here somewhere that it was possible) and the dealer didn't know what I was talking about and changed the subject!
I'm quite happy with the settings I've got, but the fact he clearly didn't have a clue what I was on about amused me.

Old 10-26-2003, 03:09 AM
jsun
6th Gear
With all due respect jmciver, what on earth (or on MINI as the case may be) are you talking about?

The "OBC" refers generally to the On Board Computer. On non-nav cars (Coopers and MCSs in the US), there is always a little button on the light stalk that cycles a display of several data readouts...outside temp, avg MPG, avg speed, "range" remaining on the current tank of gas. This has ALWAYS been the case on all non-nav cars (2003, 2003, and apparently 2004)...so it's no novelty that your car does this. This IS NOT a "dealer programmable" option.

Programmable options -- which can only be done by dealers who make modifications to the car's system software to enable these options -- include things such as daytime running lights, what your keyless remote does, speed sensitive wipers, etc. There is a comprensive list of these in one rather old MCO thread.

Perhaps some non-US MINIs are more base than their US counterparts and therefore don't have the computer functions on the stalk ..but this would be pretty rare for US cars. I'd also think that if your car didn't come with the computer stalk, it wouldn't have either the display OR the computer...and hence what would the toggle (installed as DIY) do?? Perhaps you can point to a link to the DIY and that may help lessen the confusion.

Bring Out the Scoops!

Old 10-26-2003, 07:04 AM
jmciver
2nd Gear
jsun,

The On Board Computer (or OBC for short) is a factory installed option on all Minis for 2002 to 2004. If you get the navigation system, you automatically get the the OBC since the OBC is part of the Navigation system. For the purpose of this discussion I am talking about cars without the navigation system.

If you got a 2002-2003 Mini without the OBC as an option, the light switch stalk does not have the little button on it. Conversely, if you have a 2002-2003 Mini with the OBC, you have the little button on the light switch stalk. As I am sure you already know, that little button is what you use to cycle through the various OBC function displays on the tach.

Now for 2004, Mini made a few changes. All 2004 models get the light switch stalk with the little button. For 2004, if you did not get the OBC as a factory option (which I did not get on my 2004 MCS), the little button cycles between outside temperature and speed on the tach (digital speed readout on the tach is also a new feature for 2004). If you got the OBC as an option on your 2004 Mini, the little button does the same thing as it does on the 2002-2003 models.

My thought process is this. All Mini's have the built in capability to calculate and display the data the the OBC gives you. If you take a look at the official OBC Retro-Fit install instructions (for 2002-2003 cars only) you will notice that the only things that are added to the car are some wires that run between the fuse box, speedometer and light switch stalk with the little OBC button. The kit also includes wires to install a temperature sensor, but if your car comes with A/C, which all US-spec cars have, your car aready has the necessary temperature sensor and wires. Now for 2004, the cars are "supposedly" prewired for just about everthing (to what extent I don't know yet). I know for a fact that my car came prewired for the CD changer and the factory alarm. For example, 2002 cars were not prewired for the factory alarm but were starteing in 2003.

Since the 2004 models already have the light switch stalk with the little button, it is quite possible that the wires for the OBC are already run in the car and it is a simple matter of turning the OBC on via programming from the dealer. That is what I am trying to find out.

Old 10-26-2003, 08:07 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi jmciver,

I can't help with your question but you did a great job of clarifying what your're wanting to do.

Good Luck :smile: :smile:

R.E.

Old 10-26-2003, 06:20 PM
KatanaPilot
4th Gear
If you search on mini2 you will find instructions to get your tach display into "test" mode and display a whole bunch of interesting information. On every car, including non-OBC equippped ones, it is possible to display things like actual fuel in each tank in liters, instantaneous speed, instantaneous fuel consumption, etc. Since it is possible to display all this info even on non-OBC equipped cars, it leads me to believe it is possible for the dealer to activate OBC. All that info is available, the only difference between OBC-equippped and non-OBC equipped cars is software.

The question then, is, whether the software MINI supplies US dealers is capable of activating OBC, and most importantly, whether your dealer is competent enough to perform such. You might want to print out the OBC installation instructions and bring it to your dealer, because I believe it tells them how to activate OBC.

Old 10-26-2003, 08:38 PM
jmciver
2nd Gear
>>The question then, is, whether the software MINI supplies US dealers is capable of activating OBC, and most importantly, whether your dealer is competent enough to perform such. You might want to print out the OBC installation instructions and bring it to your dealer, because I believe it tells them how to activate OBC.

I saw and played with the tach display info. It is a little different on the 04s but most of the values are the same. I just took a look at the official instructions for retro-fitting the OBC and noticed there are instructions on how to code it after the install. The question now I guess is if the wires are already run. Unfortunately, the 04's are wired differently than the 02-03s, at least in some areas (for example, my car is prewired for an alarm but it is not pre-wired the same as the 03 models).

Hmmm....I wonder if the dealer would mind conducting an experiment for me
!!