R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Pregnant Wife in a MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 07:13 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone with a pregnant wife has had any fears about her riding in the MINI? My wife is 12 weeks pregnant, and I never thought about it before until a friend rode in the back seat and told me that travelling on the freeway was pretty firm, kinda bumpy. It never bothered me before, and rather enjoying the "road hugging" ride. But now that I got a baby coming, was just wondering if anyone else has had concerns about that?

I've got an 03 MC with sport suspension.

Old 10-26-2003, 07:33 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I've never been pregnant, and I can't think of any pregnant people with whom I've spent extensive amounts time so take this advice as you will.

I think you're being paranoid.

Pregnant women can have sex well into their pregnancy--so long as it's comfortable--and I think that'd be considerably more jostling than a spin in the MINI (I'm assuming the jostling is what you're concerned about?). It's a stiff ride, but it's really not THAT bad. So unless there are mitigating health factors I can't imagine that a car ride would be an issue.

Old 10-26-2003, 07:41 AM
OctaneGuy
Thanks OMToast. It never concerned me before, not until this friend of mine started trying to make me feel guilty--like I wasn't taking proper care of my wife! Yeah, I'm referring to the bit of jostling that occurs when going over freeway expansion joints, or little bumps.

As I said I love the ride, and my wife only moderately complains. Not because of pain or discomfort, but really to let me know she prefers being in her Lexus over my MINI.

re: paranoid
You're probably right. We did suffer a miscarriage with the first baby a few months back, but that was before we had the MINI. So I am a bit more cautious about it now.

Old 10-26-2003, 07:51 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
<<<re: paranoid
You're probably right. We did suffer a miscarriage with the first baby a few months back, but that was before we had the MINI. So I am a bit more cautious about it now.>>>

Well, that's certainly understandable, then.

Ask your wife, ask your doctor... and then boot your guilt-inducing friend outta the MINI permanently!

Old 10-26-2003, 07:58 AM
Meenee.Coopah
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course everyone is different, so this is IMHO...

We are expecting a child next week, and she rides in the MC everytime we go out together. I don't have sports suspension, but the harsher ride you experience should not be anything to stress about. I won't be taking her home from the hospital in the Mini for mearly practical reasons, but motor on my friend. Those expecting mothers are more durable than we fathers think. She'll let you know if it's bothering her.

MC

Old 10-26-2003, 08:22 AM
Deli
6th Gear
Leave it to Toasty to compare two stiff rides!

Old 10-26-2003, 08:37 AM
inioway
6th Gear
My (ex) wife and I once suffered a miscarriage so I can understand the concern. I agree asking the physician sounds like a good safety measure. Beyond that, I agree that women are not only pleasantly but functionally designed: they are tough and imagine all the ways pregnant women traveled in past times and presently in other lands.

Congratulations and best wishes with the new addition to your Mini (and Lexus) family!

Old 10-26-2003, 09:16 AM
Pebbles
6th Gear
20 years ago my sister was 9 months pregnant, and really wanted to go into labor. Her friend drove a very old VW Beetle and said they should go for a rough ride over some rail road tracks to get it all started. Well they rode all over town going over every rail road crossing they could find. They drove fast, took corners, you name it.... but It didn't work. She had to induce the labor a week later.

Old 10-26-2003, 09:24 AM
julianvh
3rd Gear
I just took a long trip with my 9 week pregnant wife, and it was OK.

No complaints at all, we enjoyed a lot. I was more tired for the driving than she was, I know, I know

Old 10-26-2003, 09:31 AM
OctaneGuy
Thanks everyone for those comforting words.

Very much appreciated.

Richard

Old 10-26-2003, 12:01 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
>>20 years ago my sister was 9 months pregnant, and really wanted to go into labor. Her friend drove a very old VW Beetle and said they should go for a rough ride over some rail road tracks to get it all started. Well they rode all over town going over every rail road crossing they could find. They drove fast, took corners, you name it.... but It didn't work. She had to induce the labor a week later.

As you can see if it is not the right time for a baby then it is not the right time and no amount of shaking will overcome the hormonal cues for the onset of labor. I would have you discuss this matter with your obstetrician for several reasons. If you have had a prior miscarriage or anything else going on during the pregnancy that would make strenuous activity less desireable then it might be that very rough driving in a MINI would be not the first thing to do.

However even with all of the heavy mods I have done in my MCS I have no trouble keeping the ride very smooth and even when I have passengers in my car. First my wife likes it that way (she says my 12 year old son is impressionable and is watching how I drive) and she likes having the AC on (reduced power -a little) and doesn't appreciate tight cornering.

You can drive normal (spirited) when you are by yourself. With your wife, you can be smooooooooooth. Pretty safe.

Old 10-26-2003, 04:19 PM
Trippy
Banned
Oh Jeeze.......

I thought you were asking if you could get your Wife pregnant in a MINI
Not could you get your pregnant Wife in the MINI.

Old 10-26-2003, 08:03 PM
Xeon
3rd Gear
My fiance is jsut as uncomfortable spinning around in my MINI as before she was pregnant ahah

now the real trick is finding the right car seat / stroller combination for the MINI THAT is tough!!

Old 10-27-2003, 05:56 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
My wife and I drove 16 hours straight in the MINI with her being 5 and a half months pregnant, we had no ill effects other than some numb butts after 8 and a half hours. At that time she actually prefered to ride in the MINI becuase she found the sport seats more comfortable than the seats in the Jimmy we had at the time. It was also on that trip that she finally figured out how to drive a manual transmission!

While she was pregnant we did 4 MINI group drives. The only one that was a problem was the one we did the first week of June through the DC suburbs. She didn't eat breakfast before we left and we hit almost every red light in DC, so unfortunately she started to get car sick. Somebody fed her at one of the rest stops and that took care of it....

She was still taking the MINI out for a spin at 42 weeks....

Our son was born 5 days late, and will be 3 months old next week....

Old 10-27-2003, 06:02 AM
TimO'Fiji
1st Gear
My $.02 would be not to worry--the human female body was designed to shield the baby against alot more rigorous treatment than the Mini is going to dish out. Now if she still wants to pursue her dream of being the first female champion Bull Rider at the Calgary Stampede, you've got a problem...

Old 10-27-2003, 06:04 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Pregnant wife in MINI ok, but a word to the wise. After she delivers, and you go to bring her and your little bundle of joy home from the hospital, DO NOT PICK THEM UP IN YOUR MINI. She won't be feeling all that well, the baby will be outfitted in layers of clothes and a car seat. You'll be much better served with a large sedan or van. Even if you have to borrow a friends or rent one. Everyone will be much more comfortable and happier.

The voice of experience

Old 10-27-2003, 06:17 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I have to agree, although we didn't try to come home in the MINI. Your wife will want to ride home in a Laz-E-Boy recliner if you can figure out how. The MINI will not make her happy. Plus you don't want to be trying to figure out how to get the kid into the car on it's first ever car ride.... It doesn't look good...

Old 10-27-2003, 06:28 AM
Jims5543
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
It looks like this is covered so I'll add...

I took my wife on a 3 hour road trip each way in my RX-7. It has 400lb. Front springs and 250lb. rear springs. (stockers were 90lbs to give you an idea of how stiff the car is) It also has an open exhaust which proved to be annoying even to me after about 1/2 an hour of listening to its droning and it was very stinky to boot.

She was fine after the trip but vowed never to ride in my car again. LOL! Our healthy boy was borne 9/5 and everyone is healthy.

BTW - The roads in Tampa Florida where we went for a long weekend are brutal. We both got pretty beat up. The car left the ground on numerouse occasions. I will never take her on a road trip in it again. The mini seems like a luxury car after riding in that buck board.

Congrats!! We too endured a mis-carraige and it took us 3 years to concieve again.
Makes this little guy really special to us.

Old 10-27-2003, 12:38 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Assuming she's the passenger, I'd say just make sure her seat is back as far as it will go. The firm ride should be a health issue <insert no MD status disclaimer here> but if the airbag were to go off, I'd want as much room as possible for expansion of that 'explosive pillow'.

Old 10-27-2003, 03:29 PM
OctaneGuy
All excellent posts! Thank you! I will definitely bring the Mommy and baby home in our cushy Lexus. I agree, no need to create any hostility nor for me to be selfish!

Old 10-28-2003, 05:55 AM
Bound4NW
2nd Gear
>>All excellent posts! Thank you! I will definitely bring the Mommy and baby home in our cushy Lexus. I agree, no need to create any hostility nor for me to be selfish!
Richard - if you didn't drive like such a lunatic, you wouldn't have these issues to discuss.
Your memphis friends

Old 10-28-2003, 08:48 AM
minifinn
4th Gear
Being pregnant is a temporary condition. A MINI is forever. Take your other car or rent one if you must!

Quick family story. My mom was pregnant with my brother in 1964 when my parents were shopping for a new car. They passed on a Lotus and an AC Cobra because she couldn't fit behind the wheel. They bought a Corvair. (at least it was aconvertible)

Old 10-28-2003, 01:46 PM
hondacivic
4th Gear
the only thing that i would be worried about is the airbag. But the MINI is one safe car... :smile:

Old 11-06-2003, 01:54 PM
OctaneGuy
>>>>All excellent posts! Thank you! I will definitely bring the Mommy and baby home in our cushy Lexus. I agree, no need to create any hostility nor for me to be selfish!
>>Richard - if you didn't drive like such a lunatic, you wouldn't have these issues to discuss.

Old 11-06-2003, 02:20 PM
bonz
3rd Gear
Sorry for the delayed post but we are expecting our first child 12/25 and depending on the mood of the expectant mother I will or will not drive her in the Mini. The only reason for this is with the sport suspension with 17" rims the ride is a little firm, and the roads are at times not the best in these northern NY towns. So to keep the peace when she is cranky we take any car but the Mini.

We will definately be taking the Exployer home from the hospital after delivery !!!

Peace Out

PS. On another note....has anyone found any cool car seats for the Mini? Will be using Peg Perego Grey Primo Viaggio in our other cars but I have not found the perfect car seat for Greta(My Mini)

Quick Reply: R50/53 Pregnant Wife in a MINI?