R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 A/C Not cooling

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:41 PM
webspider
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Not cooling

My A/C has stopped working when I turn it on the A/C button flashes a few times and then stays on and all I get is hot air fan works great engine temp normal I purchased a new block looking fuse at the BMW dealer to see if that would help. nothing the only thing left is to check the pressure.Has anybody had this problem

Old 09-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by webspider
My A/C has stopped working when I turn it on the A/C button flashes a few times and then stays on and all I get is hot air fan works great engine temp normal I purchased a new block looking fuse at the BMW dealer to see if that would help. nothing the only thing left is to check the pressure.Has anybody had this problem
Check to see if the clutch on the compressor is spinning. Mine went bad this summer to the tune of $1450. The clutch is not available without the compressor. I was not happy. Hopefully yours turns out to be something simple.

Rich

Old 09-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Argh. My light doesn't flash, but it blows just marginally cold air. Guess I should confirm that it's spinning. Trying to decide if it's better to just replace the compressor, or pay someone an arm and a leg to tell me I need to replace the compressor. Not happy about this in a 5 year old car. (R134a is full)

Old 09-29-2009, 08:42 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't jump to expensive conclusions. If you're not confidant about diagnosing your problem, take it to somebody you trust and get the real story.....just because someone here lost a compressor doesn't mean you did too. A/ C systems have a lot of components, there can be a lot of reasons why yours isn't working correctly.

I have an '03 MCS and I've never been impressed with the amount of air coming from the dash vents, but I just thought that's the way it was, since it does cool the car eventually, and the air that does come out of the vents is pretty cold, especially on recirc.

This past weekend I rode in a guys '02 MCS and what a revelation - it blows like crazy! Bottom line, I probably have a vacuum leak somewhere that's not allowing a vent to open or close properly, restricitng the amount of air flow I get out of the vents.

Moral of the story, don't make assumptions!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Don't jump to expensive conclusions.
Always a good idea.

If you're not confidant about diagnosing your problem, take it to somebody you trust and get the real story.....
A/C diagnostics and repair is not rocket science. But it does take the right tools and some experience that are both well worth paying for.

...just because someone here lost a compressor doesn't mean you did too.
That is also true. That said it seems that there are a bunch of A/C clutches from '02s-04s are failing. But it is easy to see that the clutch doesn't engage and there are no fuse or relay problems.

I have an '03 MCS and I've never been impressed with the amount of air coming from the dash vents, but I just thought that's the way it was, since it does cool the car eventually, and the air that does come out of the vents is pretty cold, especially on recirc.
It turns out that a lot of the early Minis came with a light charge. Sometimes just a touch more self-installed works. But to be sure I evacuated and recharged early when I got my '03 and it made a big difference. Again, it was just under the capacity spec and a recharge made a BIG difference. And there were no leaks or other problems. But your could be something more serious like a small hole in the condenser or loose hose. Again someone with experience will know.

Bottom line, I probably have a vacuum leak somewhere that's not allowing a vent to open or close properly, restricitng the amount of air flow I get out of the vents.
Is your heat blowing good? If so the vents are probably working correctly.

Moral of the story, don't make assumptions!
Yup.

///Rich

Old 09-30-2009, 08:10 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
No, mine blows cold, it just doesn't have a lot of airflow into the cabin unlike my buddies '02.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:30 PM
webspider
Neutral
Thanks for all the input one of my co-workers dad is gonna put the gauges to it not sure when this week but I am in no hurry since it is starting to cool down here in South Texas what should the pressure read if it is ok on refridgerant ( R 134a ) and what is recomended if DIY does it that would help so I do not over fill

Old 10-07-2009, 04:29 PM
webspider
Neutral
Ok I got it checked and the pressure was 0.15 added oil and recharged lost a/c again over night had strange oily smell in the cabin the next morning the only thing now is to take the under dashbord apart and check to see if the evap coil is shot or I find some loose fittings

Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Dirkdaddy
1st Gear
Old 05-22-2012, 04:39 PM
TheKingpin
1st Gear
shame... my ac is not working either. :( I bought the car in the winter and didn't think about ac lol. now its hot and the ac is not working... sweet time for a diagnosis.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:23 AM
autoxjohn
2nd Gear
No, mine blows cold, it just doesn't have a lot of airflow into the cabin unlike my buddies '02.
Did you change your cabin air filter recently? That helped mine....

Old 05-24-2012, 12:01 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Failure of the radiator's low speed fan relay can also cause the A/C not to cool properly and can eventually cause premature failure of the A/C compressor due to high temperatures.

R50/53's MINIs suffer from crappy radiator fan relays that need replacement every 3 years. This time around I purchased an aftermarket fan relay from Chad at Detroit Tuned (Forum sponsors) and had my independent install it. works like a charm and saved my self well over $350 replacing the whole fan assembly.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:03 PM
autoxjohn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Failure of the radiator's low speed fan relay can also cause the A/C not to cool properly and can eventually cause premature failure of the A/C compressor due to high temperatures.

R50/53's MINIs suffer from crappy radiator fan relays that need replacement every 3 years. This time around I purchased an aftermarket fan relay from Chad at Detroit Tuned (Forum sponsors) and had my independent install it. works like a charm and saved my self well over $350 replacing the whole fan assembly.
New fan is like $75, and not too bad to install yourself as a note. Since the DT part is almost the same cost, I just went with a new fan on mine.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:44 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by autoxjohn
Did you change your cabin air filter recently? That helped mine....

How easy/difficult is to get to the air cabin filter?

I don't think mine has been changed in a good while....

Old 05-24-2012, 12:47 PM
autoxjohn
2nd Gear
How easy/difficult is to get to the air cabin filter?

I don't think mine has been changed in a good while....
It's a cakewalk - 5 mins start to finish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT-k8nf-OMU

Change that, I bet it helps. Mine was nasty...

Old 05-24-2012, 12:52 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Thanks. I'll do that.

Somehow this simple maintenance item has fell through the cracks in recent time.

Did you notice improved airflow quality after you replaced it? How about the A/C temperature at the vent?

Old 05-24-2012, 12:56 PM
autoxjohn
2nd Gear
Thanks. I'll do that.

Somehow this simple maintenance item has fell through the cracks in recent time.

Did you notice improved airflow quality after you replaced it? How about the A/C temperature at the vent?
You'll probably be appalled at the condition of your filter, just FYI. Mine was disgusting...

I don't know if air temps dropped, but the volume of air increased dramatically after replacing it.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:14 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
My airflow sucks. I had the A/C system checked earlier this week and everything was fine. But I forgot to look over the cabin filter. I live in Miami where is hot and humid year round. The MINI's A/C system is not the best out there, but I don't remember having to keep the fan in speeds 3 and 4 all the time just to cool down the interior.

Per my records, I don't think the filter has been replaced in over 3 years. I suspect I am about to be pleasantly surprised once it gets replaced (Heading out to my independent as I type this).

Old 05-25-2012, 06:45 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
So lo and behold my cabin air filter was beyond filthy when I pulled it out. Getting it replaced later today. The shop did not have any that fits the R53 filter compartment under the glove box. I think it is by miracle that I am getting any airflow coming out from the dash vents.

Moral of the story. Replace the filter at least once a year.