R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 New Mini and old roof tile meet. :O

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009 | 11:30 AM
GraceKeaux
|
Neutral
New Mini and old roof tile meet. :O

Hi everyone! I just bought my first (used '05) Mini S a few weeks ago! I LOVE it. I wave to everyone else I see that has one (cheesy?) and everyone waves back with a big smile.

I woke up this morning to find a huge roof tile had fallen right on the bonnet! (pics to follow) I'm so bummed. Anyway, should I take it to the dealer to get fixed? I heard it's way more expensive but if it's worth it, i will have to deal. Has this happened to anyone? I currently rent my house and am wondering if the landlord is responsible for any of this? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

damn tile...

(it was drizzling this morning, excuse the rest of the mess)

Old 10-13-2009 | 11:49 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
I would definitely contact your landlord. S/he might have insurance for this type of thing, or maybe offer to pay for repairs just out of wanting to do the right thing. If not, your car insurance (or maybe even renter's insurance) should cover it.

Dealer repairs are always the most expensive, but you know they will do a great job. I guess it will come down to who is paying and where they say to go.

Old 10-14-2009 | 05:03 AM
scans007
1st Gear
^ +1, hit the landlord up, faulty property caused the damage - not your responsibility. Keep us posted!

I just picked up an 05 MCS last month as well

Old 10-14-2009 | 06:53 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
The other thing about contacting your insurance company: they will pay to get it repaired but then try to recover their money from your landlord and/or the insurance company they use. So ultimately, it doesn't matter where the money ends up coming from, you get your car repaired.

Old 10-14-2009 | 07:35 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
not many dealers do their body work in house so you really are just paying them a premium to act as your contractor.

You're usually better off to ask around for a recommendation from your fellow car enthusiasts as to who's the recommended shops around town.. They MIGHT tell you the dealer ... but IME that would be rare.

You'll also find you can get two recommendations on how to repair:

some will say respray the entire bonnet and others will tell you they can spot and blend.

I'm a member of the 'entire panel' club....

Old 10-14-2009 | 11:09 AM
GraceKeaux
|
Neutral
Thanks everyone. I called my landlord. She said that she spoke with her attorney and asked if I could take pics (done), keep the tile (done), and get three estimates from body shops. Good news, right? Then she called me again this morning after speaking with the HOA (home owners association) and they are claiming that it was an act of god because it was "windy" outside. I live in Orange County, CA. There was very little wind (I could still ride my bicycle around easily.) I took a ladder to where the tile fell and found that many of the other tiles are loose. Don't know if that matters to the situation... In any case, I'm definitely thinking about getting the entire panel painted. Decided not to go with dealer, thanks to you all. Going to go on Yelp.com and see where the good shops are. Thanks for your input. Love this forum. Will keep you posted. (no pun intended...)