R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Plastic Seat Backing Panel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:09 PM
MiniCarolinaGirl
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plastic Seat Backing Panel Removal

I am very new to the Mini world. So please excuse me if this is a dumb question. I have searched all over and cannot find an answer. I just recently bought a 2005 Mini Cooper S. I love it! However, my daughter needs a DVD system in the back. I looked into having them installed professionally but the price is a little steep. I am looking at purchasing the pre-made 7 inch screen DVD headrests from Amazon and installing them myself. However, how does the plastic panels on the back of the front seats come off or do they come off?? - or is there a better way to install/run wires without removing the back panels. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:16 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PULL IT

Old 10-20-2009, 10:26 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniCarolinaGirl
is there a better way to install/run wires without removing the back panels.
Duct tape is a solution for everything .

See the attached instructions. Completely removing the back panel is more work than you might expect because it is a single piece that includes the trim surrounding the seat tilt controls. The instructions say to first remove the entire seat but I doubt it's necessary.

If you just unclip the top part of the seat panel, it can probably pull away enough that you can run wiring down under the panel.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SeatPanel.pdf (86.6 KB, 611 views)

Last edited by rkw; 10-20-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:17 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not just get a portable one with the straps? And she "needs" one?

Old 10-21-2009, 09:05 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigshot
And she "needs" one?
My thoughts also, but not my child.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:00 PM
MiniCarolinaGirl
1st Gear
COR BLMY - thanks for the attachment. I didn't get an owners/service manual with my used mini so I have to purchase them. Your posting is very helpful. Thanks bunches!

RKW - thanks for the advice. I'm going to try what you suggested before I pull the entire seat back off. I'm pretty sure it'll work that way too.

Bigshot - Well, "need" might be too strong of a word. But long story short, she is a very special baby - 10 years of fertility treatments - and we finally got a little girl. However, she doesn't take things for granted and is well mannered and behaved. So... she asks to watch cartoons in my car and how can I say no to her cute little face. But honestly - I never even thought to get a portable one (not sure why - it just never occurred to me). I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion. I have to say the DVD headrest just looks better - but your right - it's not "needed" -

Old 10-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Bigshot
6th Gear
They do make portable units that attach to the seat back and can be removed for use in the house or anywhere else. I love mine.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:10 PM
MiniCarolinaGirl
1st Gear
Bigshot - thanks so much for the info. I'm researching the portable tablet car DVD player now. There seems to be some good ones out there. I'm still not sure what option I'm going to do...I just have to look at all my options and make a decision...which is the hardest part... 8o)

Old 10-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Not4no1
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't get any money from them, I just buy a lot of electronics from www.chinavasion.com
Their prices have always been lower than local retailers & I have had good expierences with them. They have quite a few car intertainment options available. Even if you don't buy from there, they might give you more ideas/options you have not thought about. Then only drawback I have noticed is the Shipping fees & it usually takes 2 weeks for the product to arrive...to Indiana.

I hope it helps.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Bigshot
6th Gear
I will never buy a Chnese made product unless I absolutely have to. Not a country I want to support.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:58 PM
MiniCarolinaGirl
1st Gear
I'm with you Bigshot - only US made products for me too.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:34 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Are there any DVD players made in the US? Which products were you considering? It is almost a certainty that the product has a player unit sourced from overseas.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:42 PM
humcmcel
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniCarolinaGirl
I'm with you Bigshot - only US made products for me too.
...and that's why we drive MINI's (made in Endland)

The following users liked this post:
KimKat (05-10-2023)
Old 10-23-2009, 09:42 PM
MiniCarolinaGirl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by humcmcel
...and that's why we drive MINI's (made in Endland)
I'm learning that I need to be very specific with my words when posting threads. I guess a better choice of words would have been: I try and refrain from purchasing products "made in China". I realize that even though products are labeled "made in the USA" that some of their parts might be made in other countries. I just don't buy from China.

rkw - I was leaning towards purchasing a Myron and Davis DVD headrest pair and installing them myself but the price is really steep. When web surfing looking for other models that will fit my 2005 MCS, (I want the small 7inch screen) they all seem to be "made in china" - not what I'm after. However, there is a local dvd headrest install guy here in SD that has a good reputation that has given me a quote (for color matching, vehicle specific install, 2 head units, games controllers, wireless headphones, etc.) just under what Myron and Davis' website is asking for the DVD headrests and the same parts/components - but I would still have to install. Soooo, I guess I just need to suck it up and pay the man to install them. Unless you have a suggestion for a website that sells small dvd headrest units for less. Thanks again for all the help.