R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Brake pad dragging? Grinding, screaching sound...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:06 AM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Brake pad dragging? Grinding, screaching sound...

I've replaced my brakes this spring myself and have been driving on them w/o problems. I've put about 1000 miles on them since, if that. Today right before I get to work I start hearing what sounds like someone trying to sharpen an axe on a foot-powered grinding wheel. Seems to go away when I make a sharp right turn (but only had one turn like this before I parked)... The sound was coming from the driver's side.

I'm going to try pulling the wheel and look at things before I head home. If for some reason my caliper carrier came loose, would this cause the pad to change angle and rub an edge on the rotor? I would think pressing on the brakes would make it go away, but it doesn't. It also may not even be the brakes... But I can't think of what else would cause such an awful grinding noise...

Thanks,

Tim

Old 11-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be a piece of debris caught between the rotor and the pad. Try backing up with the brakes just barely applied.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:23 PM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for that advice! I'll give it a shot. I had just driven through some new asphalt debris soon before the noise started. Let's hope this is the problem!

Old 11-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Harleigh Quinn
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had that problem once and I am having it again.

It's more than likely an ABS sensor that is the offendor.

$150 at your local mini dealer, or if you can identify the wheel, I would suggest getting the sensor and replacing it yourself, as I plan to do....

Old 11-05-2009, 06:21 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
If it is the sensor....woulden't throw a abs warning light/code? It sounds more like metal on metal grinding...sounds like more than a sensor.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Harleigh Quinn
1st Gear
It could be something trapped in them, but if you can feel it in your pedal, it's more than likely the ABS. I am experiencing the same issue. No warning light, but my right front wheel is covered in brake dust while the rest are clean.

The last time that happened it was due to a faulty ABS sensor, I honestly believe in the same location so I have to check. If it is the same one, I'm having the dealer repair thier previous work and see if it can be at no charge.

The first time it threw a code and a light, due to a tire having a slow leak and the low tire sensor coming on as well. I have just recently learned my car is missing its TPS sensors (suspect the dealership I got them from or the previous owner elected to keep them for themselves....but that's another battle for later...) so I have no idea how it was reading that, but having the dealer replace the sensor fixed it until now.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABS sensor has nothing to do with the mechanical operation of the brakes.

If you have a stuck caliper it would explain the dust on the wheel and the noise, but the sensor has nothing to do with it.

What year MINI do you have HQ?

Old 11-06-2009, 07:12 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
I have a Hum coming out of the left rear wheel, it is not a bearing, when I pull up on the ebrake the HUM goes away. Anyone else have this issue?

Old 11-06-2009, 08:06 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
sometimes you can get a rock stuck between the inside face of the rotor and the backing plate behind it. That can make a heckuva grinding racket.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Harleigh Quinn
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Bigshot
ABS sensor has nothing to do with the mechanical operation of the brakes.

If you have a stuck caliper it would explain the dust on the wheel and the noise, but the sensor has nothing to do with it.

What year MINI do you have HQ?
2005 MCS with TPMS.

That is what the dealer stated was the issue and I still have the receipt.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:36 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
There are no preasure sensors on an '05. The computer system counts tire revolutions to determine if a tire is low on air or going flat.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:38 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmmm.... I dont' quite understand the wheel speed sensor being the issue - it's a non-contact sensor... unless part of it somehow broke off and started contacting something... but having pulled one of mine out for cleaning, I'm not quite sure how that would happen.

I'm not arguing that your dealer didn't diagnose that, or put it on the receipt... just curious what specifically went wrong with the sensor.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Harleigh Quinn
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
There are no preasure sensors on an '05. The computer system counts tire revolutions to determine if a tire is low on air or going flat.
Thank you!!! I was just discussing that with a friend of mine who has worked as a service manager and he stated the same thing. I was going to take my VIN to the dealer and have them check because I was feeling slighted by the dealer.

Thanks! You settled my nerves and that arguement.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Harleigh Quinn
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Hmmm.... I dont' quite understand the wheel speed sensor being the issue - it's a non-contact sensor... unless part of it somehow broke off and started contacting something... but having pulled one of mine out for cleaning, I'm not quite sure how that would happen.

I'm not arguing that your dealer didn't diagnose that, or put it on the receipt... just curious what specifically went wrong with the sensor.
Honestly, I couldn't tell you, as the last time I actually worked with an ABS system it was on a Jaguar and had a recirculating ball

I do know that only that brake was engaging at that time and also that my ABS light was coming on.

Now the ABS light does not come on, but that brakes seems to remain engaged, or slightly engaged, and I can feel the vibration through my pedal that usually signifies ABS engagement....

Old 11-06-2009, 08:52 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Sounds like a sticky caliper...have heard of it happening on the rears.. Possible on the fronts to I suppose.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:54 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The vibration might be from a rotor that has warped from the dragging caliper....hense the lack of a light. Just an educated guess.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Harleigh Quinn
1st Gear
Sounds like a sticky caliper...have heard of it happening on the rears.. Possible on the fronts to I suppose.
If that is the case, and I have no doubt it is, would you suggest I crucify the dealer for not correctly identifying the problem in the first place?

I understand they can pull codes in order to identify the problem and to me this seems as though they performed an unnecessary service.

I know it can be argued I was ingnorant and should have gotten a second opinion, but honestly, at the time, there was only one mini dealer in a hundred mile radius, so my choices were limited. Now there is one closer to my home.

Last edited by Harleigh Quinn; 11-06-2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Possible inflammoatory remarks and questions of legality....
Old 11-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Harleigh Quinn
1st Gear
The vibration might be from a rotor that has warped from the dragging caliper....hense the lack of a light. Just an educated guess.
I speculated as much myself, and have taken the wheel off to check and have seen no evidence of warping, but that just brings it right back to the dealer should have identified this correctly, instead of perpetuating a potentially unsafe condition. Negligence on thier part, if they can be held responsible, has also made this that much more expensive.

I'm beginning to wonder if they even replaced the sensor.....

Old 11-06-2009, 09:51 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Usually if there is no abs/etc light lit, the problem is going to be machancial (no special tools beyond the normal break stuff normaly),rather than electrical (requiring some special skills, tools, etc),which the light would indicate. As long as all the lights on your dashboard lights up when you start your car, the bulbs are three and working..no worries about the dealer removing a bulb.
Either way, your breaking system is something that if you are not 100% working on, it is time to get some professional help. Sounds like you are well on your way togetting it fixed. Usually warping of a rotor is so slight that you needed a special meater to measure it in thousands of an inch....and it is more than enought to give you feedback through you break pedal.
Good Luck.

Also one quick tip.....it sounds like you are out of warrenty...so you might want to check with your local clubs, etc and see if they have a local recomended shop....usually not as fancy as the dealers, but usually much more convient, often cheaper, and very frequently less of a corporate feel...but usually able to do 90% what the dealers do.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Harleigh Quinn
1st Gear
Usually if there is no abs/etc light lit, the problem is going to be machancial (no special tools beyond the normal break stuff normaly),rather than electrical (requiring some special skills, tools, etc),which the light would indicate. As long as all the lights on your dashboard lights up when you start your car, the bulbs are three and working..no worries about the dealer removing a bulb.
Either way, your breaking system is something that if you are not 100% working on, it is time to get some professional help. Sounds like you are well on your way togetting it fixed. Usually warping of a rotor is so slight that you needed a special meater to measure it in thousands of an inch....and it is more than enought to give you feedback through you break pedal.
Good Luck.

Also one quick tip.....it sounds like you are out of warrenty...so you might want to check with your local clubs, etc and see if they have a local recomended shop....usually not as fancy as the dealers, but usually much more convient, often cheaper, and very frequently less of a corporate feel...but usually able to do 90% what the dealers do.
Thanks. You've been a great help. I am looking for a local club now, but haven't had much luck. You would think there'd be a more organized group in the nation's capital, right?

I've been thinking about starting one myself. I will let you know how that works out.

Thanks again.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Harleigh Quinn
Thanks. You've been a great help. I am looking for a local club now, but haven't had much luck. You would think there'd be a more organized group in the nation's capital, right?

I've been thinking about starting one myself. I will let you know how that works out.

Thanks again.
they were one of the first actually......

http://www.dcmetrominis.org/

any decent mechanic or brake place should be able to take a look at the mechanical side of the brakes and tell you if there is something stuck in there or any signs of warping. MINI has a very common brake system and now a days the parts are easy to come by as far as pads and rotors.....