R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 sunroof or not --- need your feedback

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 06:08 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of the marketing strategies MINI has successfully employed is the ability for each person to choose his/her MINI with a number of customized options. The MINI is all about choice. What one of us says may or may not be the choice that's right for you.

However, from a pragmatic perspective...

I have had three BMWs all with sun/moonroofs. Two of the cars each had close to 200,000 miles on the clock and none of them have had a lick of trouble with the sun/moonroof mechanism or leaking. The MINI's moonroof switch is straight from the BMW parts bin so I am inclined to think that there may be other shared moonroof items (and engineering) as well. Thus, I was not at all inclined toward caution when fitting a moonroof to my MCS.

If the functioning of the moonroof on MINI's had been a historical quality problem, I would have steered away from ordering it. To my knowledge this is not the case. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Go with what you like, not with what anybody else's preference advocates.

...my two pence...

Theo

Old 11-03-2003, 06:12 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Old 11-03-2003, 06:13 AM
C4
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The MINI's sunroof is being manufactured by a German company called Webasto

http://www.webasto.de/home/de/homepage.html

Not sure if they also source all sunroofs for all other BMW products.

the only quality problem I have read about the MINI's moonroof is the rattling front panel glass when it is closed. Seems to be a relative easy fix.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:17 AM
Trippy
Banned
I didn't get the sunroof because I don't like sunroofs.

The sun shining in the top of my glasses is yucky.

And I have had bad luck in the past with sunroofs.
They leak, are noisy and cost a huge bundle of
cash when they need repairs and are stuck 1/4 open.

But the MINI wouldn't do that to you if you really love it, so
get one if you like them.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:21 AM
RaceCarDriver
3rd Gear
Cokes,

I have the sun roof and I love it. I bought my MCS right off the lot from Mini of the Hamptons (no wait) so the car came with all three option packages. I glad I have the sun roof, it's awesome. This is my second car, I have a Z06 Corvette that I race at the track. If I was going to race the MCS then I would skip the sunroof because of the extra weight. If you not going to race the car, I'd go with the sunroof. I usually hate sunroofs, because they don't open much to begin with and I never really use them, in fact, I bought a brand new BMW M3 and purposely did not go with a sunroof because I had planned to Auto X the car.

Before I got the MCS I was thinking of ordering one and I was debating about the sunroof, now that I have it, I am so glad I have the sunroof. I use it almost every day I drive the car, even in the cold weather. Also, I think it looks great even closed with the white roof. To me, the white roof without the sunroof looks too plain.

In the end it's up to you. Congrats on your order.

RaceCarDriver

Old 11-03-2003, 06:23 AM
BoopedrivesmyMINI
2nd Gear
Sunroof= Heavy
if your at all about performance than dont get it!

Old 11-03-2003, 06:23 AM
jsun
6th Gear

>>the only quality problem I have read about the MINI's moonroof is the rattling front panel glass when it is closed. Seems to be a relative easy fix.

Actually, it's not the glass that's rattling, but rather the plastic wind deflectors that rattle against the glass. I've had this worked on on my 2002 MCS about 3 times. The last time the entire sunroof mechanism except the glass and the reflectors was replaced (the so-called sunroof cassette). The rattle went away for about 2 months and then came back. The ONLY thing that stops it is gluing something like felt, velcro, or foam to the deflectors to press them in tighter and stop them from rattling. So, if you consider having to glue (relatively) ugly crap to your car to stop a rattle...yeah, it's an "easy" fix. :evil:

THAT SAID, from what I've read newer MINIs seem to have this rattle remedied at the factory. Perhaps the "Webasto" (yech...what an AWFUL name) folks have been sufficiently punished and have learned how to create a proper product. Maybe the sunroof installer at Oxford has started AA. Who knows. But one thing's for sure, I absolutely couldn't live w/o my sunroof...rattles and all. I've been in non-sunroof MINIs and find them terribly confining and cave-like. I also think that the back seat would be even more terrible w/o the sunroof. Just my opinion.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:38 AM
gocart29
2nd Gear
I am a big fan of the MINI sunroof. I've had my 2003 MCS since February and have had no problems with it. I've had a couple of other cars with sunroofs and generally not liked them. Too small to be useful, to much wind and noise due to no or improper air deflection, etc. But the MINI's sunroof is well-engineered. For me it offers the best compromise between convertible and sedan you can get. One drawback is certainly the added weight. This is less noticeable in a MCS than in a MC, I'm sure, but if you live in a climate that that you can use it in, you'll love it!

BTW, we just went through a very hot summer here in the lower Midwest. The air con never failed to cool down the car and I rarely pull the sunscreens closed.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:45 AM
countrym
6th Gear
I can't believe this thread made it to two pages without anyone saying "Use the search function!"

I went throught this same thing before I placed my order, and I ended up going for the sunroof. And I live in Florida, albeit north Florida.

Does it add weight? Yes, but not enough to really matter. Unless you're a serious racer. (That's racer, not ricer :smile: .)

There have been some rattle issues, but they're easily fixed. And I haven't heard as many complaints about 03 builds, and none so far on 04s.

The lack of a solid shade could be an issue for some, but I prefer to have the open feeling that the extra light offers. And there are a variety of ways to cut donw the light, including tinting and vinyl graphics.

Bottom line, most people that have it think it's the best. And most people who don't are either worried about weight or have had bad sunroof experiences before.

So go ahead and get one!

Old 11-03-2003, 07:21 AM
zfxr
5th Gear
The sunroof is quite nice, although not having a solid sunshade might
get quite warm in the sun... I've had a variety of cars with sunroofs,
no problems to report (thus far :smile: Although they can become prone
to rattles as the car ages, so be aware. If your really concerned about
weight/structural integrity, a sunroof compromises both of these slightly.
But... Having the "open sky" feeling with the two roofs is
priceless!
I would also suggest the premium package.
Whilst the automatic climate control and trip computer (IMHO) aren't
"must haves", the multi-function steering-wheel and cruise control are
two things that are VERY nice to have :smile: Sunroof is cool too..

caio,

-Matt

Old 11-03-2003, 10:42 PM
White_Knuckles
3rd Gear
Cokes,

I ordered a Wt /Chili Red MC from Northwest MINI (Tacoma) in August .
The sunroof is a must have for me. I feel your pain for the wait, the things
have to ship around the Panama Canal and then be trucked from Calif.
I live in Spokane too, we have some of the longest waiting times in the US.

And the longest drive times back to the dealer. But it's worth it!

Old 12-12-2003, 01:46 PM
misemici
1st Gear
>>I chose to go without the sunroof, mainly because I wanted the Union Jack roof decal (before I realized I could go elsewhere to get a perforated decal....but, now that I think of it, I prefer the look of the solid UJ decal), and I stand by my decision. :smile:

I love my sunroof and wouldn't have bought one without. And I have a white top, so it doesn't matter to me that it stands out--people gasp at the size of it

Also, the 04s can come w/ perforated decals, so everyone can have a roof flag if they want one... (at least in Indy they have them at the dealer).

Old 12-12-2003, 07:31 PM
kanaka
Neutral
go for it...just purchased a '04 msc and drove from florida to california...sun roof brightens up car on dark days and gives you mr. moon at night...comes with some tint but you can always add more...i have premium and sports package, hk sound, wiper/mirror option and had a great 3000 mile drive...ive owned four previous cars with factory sun roofs and never had any problems...aloha,paul

Old 12-12-2003, 08:09 PM
SCCA
3rd Gear
Get the roof...you will always wish you would have if you don't, it's a great sunroof. Don't buy into this performance crap about 50 pounds up high...the mini is not a race car and it affects the performance so little it's not even worth mentioning and you certainly would'nt feel a differance...of course some would argue that to death and to them I say why not go cut off your entire roof so you can go even faster Parnelli...lol. Get the roof man...you'll love it.

Old 12-13-2003, 09:54 AM
fms
5th Gear
>>Get the roof...you will always wish you would have if you don't, it's a great sunroof. Don't buy into this performance crap about 50 pounds up high...the mini is not a race car and it affects the performance so little it's not even worth mentioning and you certainly would'nt feel a differance...of course some would argue that to death and to them I say why not go cut off your entire roof so you can go even faster Parnelli...lol. Get the roof man...you'll love it.

Have to agree w/ this. Folks talking about weight issues must be the kind that put their clothes on a scale before getting dressed for a performance run, since the wrong fabric could add a pound or two I think I might have solved that problem, as I'll be getting a JCW kit put on my next MINI. One other thing about the premium package and the ACC: I don't really ever put the ACC on- I override it and run my air, etc. manually. The reason I'd still always opt for the ACC is that the controls for it are 10 times cooler looking than the manual, especially when they're lit up at night. About $.04 worth of opinions here...

Old 12-13-2003, 10:17 AM
jmoser
4th Gear
I really love my sunroof. I was very concerned that letting in the light would cause the car to be hotter (a major issue with the 90++ summers in Sacramento) but it is well designed, and the cloth sunblock that pulls across on the inside does an amazing job, and is surprisingly sturdy.

What I like about the sunroof is that to me it makes the car feel more open inside--by letting in the light, it just feels bigger to me. I've had no problems with my 2002 (since a rattle was repaired) and its working great. Plus on warm days I can open it and put the windows down remotely on my way to the car, which reallly helps cool things down a bit before I get in.

Its the comfort factor that I love--not a racer, and the looks don't detract to me, probably because I'm so fond of it. Besides, I have a white film I can put on if I want to look "all white" ....
I wouldn't buy a Cooper without one, now!

Old 12-13-2003, 11:05 AM
ModiMINI
1st Gear
Of all of the things that I have heard people ask about, if you can afford the package, the sunroof option is a no-brainer.

Resale value, pure driving enjoyment, and a very uniquely designed feature -- the sunroof is to enjoy, it is not an issue of weight.

Cars can get hot on the inside, sunroofs are heavier than no sunroofs, things can break -- but if we were worried about every little detail, then we would never risk enough to have fun, and the MINI is pure fun. The only thing you should fear is missing out and regretting it later. So, go for it, whatever you can afford, get it and just enjoy it. You should not be concerned having or not having it, but if you don't have one then you will never know what you missed out on.

Whatever that is worth, I will stop preaching now.

Old 12-13-2003, 12:41 PM
dgibbphoto
2nd Gear
You want the sunroof

Old 12-13-2003, 01:29 PM
C4
Banned
No sunroof here and no regrets. I re-visited it when I place the order for my '04 MCS, and even test drove a new IB/W MCS with it and could not get myself to spend the extra dough for the sunroof. Very nice open feeling but then after that what? I have had cars with moonroofs before and after the novelty woreout, never used them much anymore. Miami is a very hot and humid city year round and using the sunroof during the day only lets more heat and vapor to make it inside the cabin.

The lack of a solid sunshade was a deal braker too.

Maybe I am weird, maybe I am cheap, but I much prefer the clean look of the solid black or white roof and having not to worry about the possibility of rattles, leaks or failures of the sunroof mechanism. I also like the enclosed feeling of a true 2 door hardtop coupe.

The sunroof is purely personal choice, not certainly required for motoring but for those who have it already enjoy it and swear by it.

This is the beauty of the MINI......CHOICE!

Old 12-15-2003, 03:14 AM
bamamini
1st Gear
I have the sunroof and love it! You will too!!

Old 12-15-2003, 10:15 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had a moonroof on my last four cars and chose to opt out this time. Mostly,
I didn't like the size of this one and felt that it compromised the traditional look of the Mini as well. I did not like that sunlight could not be completely shut out and
also wanted to avoid the potential for mechanical problems. I have no regrets.

Old 12-15-2003, 11:25 AM
mcs22004
5th Gear
I have no regrets about getting the sunroof. By the time I'm willing to ruin the car autoxing, I'll fab a one-piece replacement for the sunroof.

The sunroof lets in a lot of light, and it's nice to be able to open it for driving during the spring and fall and to cool the car off in the summer.

If you don't like the perforated sunshade, get a solid one from badminiparts or whatever.

Old 12-16-2003, 10:38 PM
davehopper
1st Gear
YES!! You have to get the sunroof. Covering 60% of the roof, it is a defining feature of these amazing cars.

Old 12-17-2003, 10:44 AM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
No sunroof for me and i am soooo glad i didn't get it. I've gotten very tired of sunroofs lately, plus there was no way i was going to buy a sunroof without a real cover in Houston. That mesh screen was not going to be enough. So i have plenty of headroom, no hot sun beating down on my bald head, it's nice and quiet....I love it. :smile:

Old 12-17-2003, 10:59 AM
sbgobig
4th Gear
I had my doubts about the sunroof and the lack of solid shade but absolutely love it. It is so big that even when closed you get an awesome view of the sky.

Get It with the prem package so you can get the MFSW.

Quick Reply: R50/53 sunroof or not --- need your feedback