R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 sunroof or not --- need your feedback

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 11:08 AM
rrmixn
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an '03 "S" with a sunroof and like the option of letting in some fresh air without opening the windows. The only problem is that it rattles at the rear in the pop-up position. The dealer says that since I have aftermarket springs there is nothing they can do about it. I haven't given up yet.

Old 12-17-2003, 11:22 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
I believe there is a known fix for the sunroof rattle. Mine does it too and I have stock springs, so I wonder what excuse your dealer would give me ? Try a search.

As much as I like my sunroof, My late 03 has a-pillars that are flexing so much that they creak, sometimes even when I am standing still !!!

The additional 60 or so pounds the sunroof adds to the roof, can't be helping this situation much at all, imo.

Old 12-17-2003, 06:54 PM
NWEuropean
1st Gear
A tough call. I spent 48 hours in an MCS with a roof, and really liked it. However, I said all along that I would not get a sunroof if I bought one. Now I am not sure what to do. Looking forward to my new car decision in the spring, and who knows which way I will go. It truly does end up being a personal decision, and if this is the hardest decision you make this year, that is a pretty good year.

Old 12-18-2003, 05:33 AM
mcs22004
5th Gear
>>I believe there is a known fix for the sunroof rattle. Mine does it too and I have stock springs, so I wonder what excuse your dealer would give me ? Try a search.
>>
>>As much as I like my sunroof, My late 03 has a-pillars that are flexing so much that they creak, sometimes even when I am standing still !!!
>>
>>The additional 60 or so pounds the sunroof adds to the roof, can't be helping this situation much at all, imo.

If your a-pillars are flexing that much, you probably have a much more serious problem than the sunroof. The chassis is supposed to be fairly rigid. Check for rust.

Old 12-18-2003, 11:45 PM
Newkevin
2nd Gear
Well, for me, I have one on my 03 MCS and I really like it! Weight, cost were not really a factor. It does leave something to be desired as far as glare, (the shade cloth is too thin and direct overhead sun can be annoying) summer heat on the shift **** and at fully open position at freeway speeds, it is LOUD!!!! But then again, that what a really good stereo is for, right?
My .02.

Old 12-19-2003, 12:05 AM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
As a 13 year convertible owner, I'd say get the sunroof.

It was more important to me to have a Union Jack than a sunroof and it almost kept me from getting a MINII (I know, I'm strange).
Once I found out I could have both, with the sunroof perforated, I ordered the car.
I'm very pleased so far.

If you're as into the unique roof as I am, AND you might want to race consider the solid roof. Nothing looks better than a painted union jack roof IMO. It's the ultiimate retro MINI look.

I'm going all retro outside (lots of chrome, UJ, etc., modern inside (NAV, heated seats, DVD, etc.).

Old 12-19-2003, 01:21 AM
aokdoug
3rd Gear
hi
just GET THE ROOF. you will not have regets.all the faults talked about here
are minor fixes.you will not be sorry.
regards, doug

Old 12-20-2003, 12:15 AM
Scoutd
3rd Gear
i got the sunroof without the sports combo ( didnt want the super heavy S wheels) I had a sunroof in my old car for 12yrs. and wouldn't be without one. Its easier to vent your car in the summer, I'd rather have fresh air than conditioned. Less noise and buffeting as when you run with your windows down.
I havent had a single problem with mine, but I don't have many miles yet. I drove this week in the sunshine on a trip on the freeway. It was wonderful with the roof totally open Santana CD playing and running the normal 77 mph. The front air dam mechanism keeps all the air from blowing your hair to heck and back. I think its better than a convertible.
To each his own, I was all worried after ordering a sunroof when I heard the complains on NAM/MCO about the noise from the buffering winds. With you stereo on you can't hear it at MCS speeds.
Tonight it was raining outside Its enjoyable to not only be able to listen to the rain but see it too. THe sunroof lends itself to a more High Definition motoring ride. you know one with nature...etc

My personal justification as per the weigh was going with the lighter 16 " wheels , knowing I will get ligher 17's in the future when my run flats need to go. Sure I road race, but I'm not planning on anything more than SCCA with my street car.

Ultimately get the car you want. The wait is definitely worth IT. We all made it through that madness, those of us with our MINI's and its a time to let your mind spin in the webs of indecision.
The only 2 things I'd change on my car would be to get the driving lights to fill the gap where the xenons drop off and spend the extra $$ for the Nav. With the digital speed indicator on the tach, I think I look at the center speedo maybe once a day if that. Waste of space, well except for keeping your passengers well informed on just how close you are getting to the speed of light.... that red light, blue light of the leather gods ( motorcycle cops)

Old 12-20-2003, 01:20 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sunroof is really, really, really, really worth it! I can't imagine my car without it. The car's heating is good enough that you can have the sunroof fully open down to around 40F, and still be comfortable. I love it! And your backseat passengers will really appreciate it, too! Mine started rattling recently, but the fix is an easy one, and the rattle doesn't even begin to make me regret getting the sunroof.

Old 12-20-2003, 03:35 AM
MiniMax15
2nd Gear
I have the glass roof and love it, I don't plan on autocrossing it, don't feel any top heavy effects and just love the car. If you want a flag on the roof, they are made for you, just a different type of vinyl, but available. The only thing I don't like about the sunroof is that it is a tad noisy when open all the way.

Old 12-20-2003, 09:09 AM
ecl3x
3rd Gear
it depends where you live and how intense the sunlight is. i live in the washington dc area and sun is pretty intense in the summer and winter. all my previous cars have sunroof except for the minivan and was readied to order my mini with a sunroof but after test driving the mini with the sunroof i decided not to order one with it. first i don't like the mesh shade since light still filters in and would produce too much glare from my sunglass rim. all my other cars have solid shade so this was not a factor. secondly, the mesh is black so it seems more claustrophobic when the shade is pulled. i didn't test drive it at night so can't comment on how nice is would be but am sure it's nice to see the open sky.

the extra weight would not have bother me since i don't plan to autocross it. as to leakage concern, none of my previous car had the leakage problem and i am sure it won't be a problem with the mini's roof.

good luck..if you're already thinking about getting the sunroof, i say go ahead otherwise you'd regret it later... i am sure it cannot be retrofitted.

Old 12-22-2003, 09:28 AM
mbur1024
2nd Gear
The large sunroof is great, get it. For that matter get the Sport package (love the HID lights), and the Premium package. Also consider the auto wipers that are nice, and you get the dimming mirror included (a must have).

Good Luck

Old 12-30-2003, 06:16 PM
HAIGHTD
1st Gear
I drove both before I bought my '04 MCS. I opted for no sunroof. It's quieter overall and I never used the sunroof on my other cars much anyway. I still do hear a rattle up in my headliner--even sans sunroof--that I suspect is the derelict electrical harness for the sunroof. My personal feeling is that no sunroof offers a bit more head protection in the unfortunate and unthinkable event of a roll-over. Come to think of it...can a Mini roll-over???? I can't get the car to even roll slightly in a hard turn.

Cheers...