R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 sunroof or not --- need your feedback

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 09:12 PM
cokes
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put deposit for MC 2004 (6 mo waiting). I am debating whether to get sunroof or not. Anyone who got sunroof or premium package, can you tell me how much you like your MC/MCS with sunroof? Does it make a whole a lot of difference? Or, if you decided against having sunroof, are you happy with your decision? Thanks for your input in advance....

Old 11-02-2003, 09:21 PM
Bk_MCS
5th Gear
Welcome to MCO (NAM).

I was originally against the Sunroof since it adds something like 54 pounds to the top of the car, but in the end I went with it since I'm not a racer or anything like that. How could you pass up such a unique (read big) sunroof that isnt found on any other car (pretty much). It's so nice to throw down the windows and open the sunroof and cruise without the AC.

So if you're going to race it then dont get it, but if you're just buying it for a daily driver then get it! Plus I've heard of previous model years having rattle problems and what not with their sunroofs, but not so on my 2004 which was built mid september.

So get it!

Old 11-02-2003, 09:29 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I love not having the sunroof, but then again, I'm a solid-roof kinda guy (all about performance). I've driven MINI's with the sunroof, and it rocks too! Two major considerations, IMO, do you care that it adds 64 pounds to the car, and what color roof are you getting? If you're getting a black roof, then the sunroof blends right in, and looks clean.

Hopefully you can test drive a MINI with the sunroof and one without, and see which you fall in love with more :smile:

Good luck on your wait, it's all worth it!
Cheers,
Ryan

Old 11-02-2003, 09:35 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
Pretty much the same situation as Bk_MCS here, was originally against it but got it anyway. My current car has a giant sunroof (Isuzu Trooper) and the MIni has a giant sunroof, so you can say I'm kind of an airhead . All joking aside though, living in CA I can't imagine not having a sunroof, gotta enjoy the beautiful weather we have here and I've driven cars with and without the roof and couldn't tell a difference in normal street driving so I got it.

Old 11-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Thrilhouse
5th Gear
I chose to go without the sunroof, mainly because I wanted the Union Jack roof decal (before I realized I could go elsewhere to get a perforated decal....but, now that I think of it, I prefer the look of the solid UJ decal), and I stand by my decision. :smile:

Old 11-02-2003, 09:37 PM
sirron
5th Gear
Anything with a hole in it is inherently weaker than something without a hole in it!!

Old 11-02-2003, 09:50 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 2, one with and one without. The sunroof gives a real nice open feeling to the car, even if it's not open. It lets in light, it just feels nice!

Old 11-02-2003, 09:56 PM
bruceink
2nd Gear
I got the sunroof because I like sunroofs....had a Bug with the cloth one once, loved it. The weight isn't significant unless yoou're racing, IMO, and I love the convertible-with-a-rollcage feeling I get with the sunroof open and the windows down. It is too loud for the freeway, though, so it's not perfect, but when it's right, it's really cool....Bruce in Santa Monica

Old 11-02-2003, 10:07 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
In a sunny climate the sunroof is large and lets in alot of heat. So the interior gets hotter and the people get hotter. The built in shade is 50% so there is much light that passes. You can tint the sunroof really dark like 5% to cut some light.

The sunroof adds to cost as well as complexity of the MINI and more to go wrong in the long run. A leak or failure out of warranty period is going to be very expensive. I've had that happen to me in another car.

If you autocross or race then the extra weight on the roof section makes for a higher center of gravity and also added weight which is not helpful.

I have no sunroof and the car is much cooler with the white top and tinted windows. I'm happy and I like going to the track and having fun with a relatively light MINI.

Old 11-02-2003, 10:14 PM
lounytoon
3rd Gear
My last car didn't have one...so I swore to get one in the Mini....and if you get a white roof, you can always get a decal for the sunroof, white or otherwise.

Old 11-02-2003, 10:58 PM
supersulli
2nd Gear
I didn't get the sunroof, mainly because of the cost factor, as well as the weight issues. I was also not wanting to deal with any rattles that might magically appear somewhere down the road.

Old 11-02-2003, 11:17 PM
tigger
2nd Gear
I did get the sunroof because honestly, you wont feel the weight unless (as said many times) racing... hardcore racing...

I think it adds character to the car and again lets light in. When they see my Mini, the first thing they say is:"Damn thats a massive sunroof, does it open all the way?". Seems like the whole roof is made of glass. No regrets..

Old 11-02-2003, 11:59 PM
kbseto
5th Gear
had a mc without moonroof. sold it recently so i could p/u a mcs. most people were interested in the moonroof. i wished i had one on that car.

recently p/u my mcs with moonroof. love it. can get hot. but i plan to cooperflag it, which is basically like tinting it. together with the interior mesh, it should be cool enuff while still allowing me to enjoy the open airy feeling it provides to the interior, as well as allowing me look up at the blue sky at day or stars at night.

weight is not an issue. 64 lbs more to a 2600 lb car? if that is a big deal, make sure you change your wheels/tires first. i believe alex@tirerack said that every lb of weight saved in the wheels is worth 3-4x that above the wheels when dealing with accelerating from a dead stop.

Old 11-03-2003, 03:16 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Over the years I’ve owned a number of cars that had sunroofs. Each has had its own problem. Whether it’s been to heavy, noisy, leaky or in most cases just not used, I decided not to get the sunroof and will never buy another car with one.

Old 11-03-2003, 03:20 AM
erik808
6th Gear
Your dilemma is not a bad one to have . Welcome, cokes!!

Old 11-03-2003, 04:02 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
:smile: Some love it and some don't.........

Chow!

Donna
donna@dcmetrominis.org

Old 11-03-2003, 04:13 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome Cokes!!! Yes, get the sunroof!!! Why car about a few extra pounds? I'm getting 34 mpg in my MCS w/sunroof. I've autcrossed and the weight is not a factor, (unless you are an extremely skilled, I mean proffessional, driver).

Are you all about excitement? Isn't that why you are buying this car? Get the sunroof!

I've had mine for 15 months and 32k miles with zero problems. Check all the threads, and you will see almost no problems with these sunroofs. (Some have gotten a rattle with the window open, but it was an easy fix for them at the dealer.)

In your climate, (Washington State) this sunroof is a MUST! Get the sunroof!

Or... not. It's your choice. :smile: :smile:

God speed.

Old 11-03-2003, 04:33 AM
resmini
6th Gear
My original order didn't have a sunroof but the more I looked at MINI's, the more I thought they were just made for a sunroof. Changed my order in the nick of time. A small fun car like a MINI is, in my opinion, made even more fun by the open air feeling of the sunroof. Not to mention the uniqueness of the massive MINI sunroof. Any potentual problems are outweighted by the "fun factor" of the sunroof......get it.

R.E.

Old 11-03-2003, 04:50 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
I say...YES!
My last (4) cars...(prior to my MCS)...all had sunroofs :smile:
I enjoy the open feel of a sunroof, the fresh air (or as fresh as you can get in NY :smile:..... and look as well.

I bought the MCS as a econo-sport vehicle...not a racing/auto-x'n/drag-race'n ride.

You must personally decide what the car is to you...then....get the "things" on it...that make sence for U!!!!!

Peace,
D

Old 11-03-2003, 05:02 AM
MaxaMini
4th Gear
Like all things MINI..the choice is yours. I have an Electric Blue with White Roof. Really accents the size of the sunroof.

I enjoy the air and spaciousness. Also I am a fisherman and can often be seen with an array of rods sticking out the top.

At speed it can be noisy inside but then again I don't want to be isolated from the motoring experience.

I'm in New England where the days are beginning to frost around the edged. I like opening the windows and cranking up the heat.

I sometimes wish the rear windows popped open to limit the buffetting.

All in all after my first summer and heading into the dead of winter with 8000 miles.

I'm a happy motorer.

Happy Motoring!

Old 11-03-2003, 05:19 AM
Darxar
4th Gear
I like mine, vote Yes.

Old 11-03-2003, 05:25 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
I love the contrast that the sunroof makes on my white roof. I love being able to open it up. I love being able to have it at the first position...I call this vent mode when I leave my car outside in the hot AZ sun as it really keeps the interior cooler than with a solid roof. Conversely, I hate the sunroof for the additional heat it brings into the car when driving in the hot AZ sun. Would I buy one again? If I wanted to race, then I would not get it. If I did not plan to race it I would get it.

Old 11-03-2003, 05:52 AM
inioway
6th Gear
I stewed over this one too. I ended up getting the sunroof (as well as the whole premo mack which I highly recommend too). I took delivery on September 3rd so she's a late '03. I've had NO problems and really look forward to the added light during the cold dark months here in the Northlands. For me it was the right thing. For you? Either way you will be happy with it.

Old 11-03-2003, 05:58 AM
C4
Banned
Have 2 Coopers, a '02 CVT and a '04 MCS. Neither one has a sunroof. Reasons? Cost, weight and above all lack of a true solid sunshade. Living in hot South Florida and based on past experiences with other cars with sunroofs, I decided that the money would be better put to use elsewhere.

If you live in a colder climate or less humid one, then by all means the sunroof will be very enjoyable. We personally don't miss it (Car does not feel claustrophobic) and have grown to like the look of the solid roof.

I am still pondering what decal to put on my '04 CR/W MCS.

Neither car has the Premium Package. The automatic A/C is an oxymoron because it still requires manual inputs to adjust it properly. The manual A/C controls are straightforward and work wonderfully all the time. The only Items we have from the Premium Package are the MFSW and the Trip Computer which I find to be of more utility.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:01 AM
Driving_Hamster
5th Gear
Absolutely love the sunroof. It makes you feel like you are sitting in some sort of convertable at times. It's nice too to vent the car out easily when you are getting ready to drive it and it has been sitting baking in the sun for hours!

FYI: If you plan to autocross the car then you may not want to get the sunroof, Rumor has it that between the glass and the motor/gears it adds something like 60+ lbs. I have autocrossed my mini though, if only just for fun

Motoring since 2-13-03. Peace out, Motor On! 7 sub 21

Quick Reply: R50/53 sunroof or not --- need your feedback