R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Keeping Your MCS for the Long Haul?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:12 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Let's just say that it needs the most work out of the three. I most certainly have a love-hate relationship with it.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Aeromax
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '02 MCS is at 104k and change. I don't have regular service done on it- if it's broken, it gets fixed. It's a bit rough around the edges, and does need some things replaced, but right now everything pretty much works as it should and always has. Anything that's ever really gone wrong with the car is something that was pretty much my fault, because I suck at working on cars. The car has held up really well I have to say. In my opinion, all moderns cars are pretty much in the same ballpark in terms of reliability and any car will make it well past 100k without abuse and with proper care. I don't buy into the whole mindset that once a car reaches 100k it's a piece of crap and must be replaced.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:07 PM
NeilHernandez
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I now have about 88k miles on my MCS and i put about 20k a year and have had ZERO problems. If you keep up with the maintenance and you're good to it, it'll be good to you for a long time. I've had every Honda ever made and got rid of them each with 200k with minimal work, but none of them put a smile on my face like when i get in my Mini it and drive it.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:50 PM
zagadka
4th Gear
I have 72k and the only thing I have had to replace is the rotors and pads. I don't beat on the car, but I do have fun driving it.

Good gas and oil changes every 3k. I don't care what the factory says.

Ultimately, I'd love to have it as a fun project/weekend car and retire it as a daily driver, but we'll see...

Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 313 Likes on 236 Posts
and then there are the borderline nut cases...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-hard-way.html

Old 03-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Blueberry03MC
2nd Gear
I most definitely will be keeping my MINI for the long haul!

Just like everyone said just take care of your car and keep up with the maintenance...Shoot my dad has a 1998 Jeep Cherokee and it just hit the 150k...Yeah he has had to replace a couple things over the years and its still a nice car...

Old 03-09-2010, 07:44 AM
kishg
2nd Gear
you needed a clutch at 23k miles?

Old 03-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Philip Rushing
2nd Gear
My '04 JCW has 96,000+. Bought it used at about 32K. Rotors replaced under warranty at 35,985 miles. Worst money I EVER spent was for the extended warranty, since the only thing replaced between 36 and 65K was a bad universal on one side.
Belt (1), pads (1 set) and THE POS H/K AMPLIFIER. have been the only items needing attention. Oh, and the car is sitting in the garage right now waiting for a new driver's side regulator and motor. Not bad.
That being said, I have a few other vehicles that I use during bad weather, short "utility" trips, and the times the Mini is sitting while I wait for parts or filters or when I can get around to routine maintenance.
I plan on keeping this as a toy for the long haul.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:19 AM
MerchoMini
4th Gear
The problem isnt am i a gonna keep this thing through thick and thin, or how long do i want to keep it, its what in the hell else would i get...... thats my dilemma, nothing else seems justifable to get red if of the mini.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:24 AM
MerchoMini
4th Gear
and the only qualms i have right now is the rattle in the dash and various randomly occuring other rattles, the ticking that comes when the clutch is out in neutral.....?, glazed flywheel(chewbacca), and the fact that im absolutely paranoid about my s/c going and my clutch going. those are my only real problems, cuz anything else that has needed to be replaced has just been upgraded so i enjoy those things more now and none were very big. And wether or not to put my coilovers on or sell them...... I do want a motorcycle....

Old 03-10-2010, 05:55 AM
zagadka
4th Gear
So, your qualms are a rattley dash and replacing the supercharger and clutch? All of those things are inevitable if you drive your car, they're working parts, so just except that its going to happen and upgrade them when the time comes if you want.

When my sunroof or dash rattles...I just turn the music up a little bit. Its going to happen, you'll never find the source of it and fix it, so I just live with it. Its like going on vacation to the beach every year and then being irritated at the wrinkles that develop down the line!

So there, I have debunked all of your worries, now you can keep the car and pay it off if it isn't already, and buy a bike, too.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:35 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MerchoMini
The problem ... its what in the hell else would i get...... thats my dilemma, nothing else seems justifable to get red if of the mini.
Help is on the way. Fiat and Alfa Romeo will give us some viable options soon. Maybe even Aston Martin. Hang in there...

Old 03-10-2010, 09:45 AM
MerchoMini
4th Gear
HAHAHA, ya i mean the rattles are fine, and i love the car, and im just debating do i sell it now and avoid these costs, or does my love for the mini, and the community keep me in it.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:40 AM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
Heh. I can say this. I see myself in a MINI for a long, long time to come. I'm about to pick up an 04 MCS IB/W this week and am so excited! Only 39k miles on the clock, plenty more to come. However, I have to trade in my beloved 02 R50 for it. And, for being an 02, the rattles really aren't that bad, seriously.
the ticking that comes when the clutch is out in neutral.....?
So that's what that ticking is!?

Yeah, when/if the S/C goes, I'm replacing it when the newer JCW one found in 05+. If clutch goes, getting a stage 1 with lightweight flywheel. If tranny goes, I'm getting one from an 05-06 with the closer gear ratios and maybe one that has the factory LSD.

When something breaks or wears out, look at it as an opportunity to upgrade. I mean, the MINI feels more like a pet than a car so take care of it. You wouldn't sell your dog or cat for another just because they get sick would you?

Old 03-10-2010, 10:45 AM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think in the long-term, it's electrical glitches will keep you from wanting to continue to own this car long-term. Mechanical stuff like superchargers and clutches are likely to wear in fairly predictable patterns and you can manage and plan for these costs as well as have lots of options for replacement. But the electrical problems are inherently unpredictable and you're very limited in your options for fixing.

Rattles? If rattles bother you, then you're not a good candidate for long-term car ownership. They're inevitable.

- Mark

Old 03-10-2010, 12:31 PM
MirthScout
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MerchoMini
HAHAHA, ya i mean the rattles are fine, and i love the car, and im just debating do i sell it now and avoid these costs, or does my love for the mini, and the community keep me in it.
You can't avoid those costs. You'll either pay the repairs and continue to enjoy the Mini or you'll pay even more buying another car.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:57 PM
hstanfield
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2002 MC turned "8" two days ago and its odometer hit 387,000 miles.
It doesn't rattle or shake, lean, smoke or smell funny.
Everything works, runs, rides, steers and handles like the day I got it.
I don't know what you mean by 'the long haul',
but I have no reason yet to think of parting with this car.

I'll see you MTTS people in Denver in a couple weeks

Old 07-26-2010, 08:43 PM
36rodder
3rd Gear
Long Haul Reliability

I had some concerns about the reliability of MINI's after reading some of the forums but just had to have one. Bought an '02 MCS 7 monthe ago and have had no real issues to date (<$100 in repairs - more in mods). Took the car to Watkins Glen for some track time in May and met a guy from Toronto who came down to run the Glen with his '02 MCS that had >220,000 miles on it and was out there on the track with everyone else. His motor was untouched including the supercharger and was still running the original clutch. I think being the original owner helped. My '02 had a clutch put in by the previous owner at ~65K, currently has 75K. I plan on running my MCS for many year to come.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 PM
bmwg84
2nd Gear
I've done everything the mini required in service and maintenance AND SOME and love this car. It's not my M3, but is definitely a zippy daily driver. I'm keeping her for the long haul. 69k miles so far

Old 12-19-2010, 09:33 AM
dthurst
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hstanfield

This guy is my hero! I only have 180K miles. I can't wait to double them.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear

That's beyond impossible... it's unpossible!!!

Old 12-19-2010, 05:14 PM
hstanfield
2nd Gear
First 'Cosmetic Surgery'

I spotted a little orange staining and small blisters below the tail lights recently -the first signs that this amazing car is 'normal' after all. Since I'll be driving it over salt covered roads this winter - like all others - I had some work done behind those lights before it gets worse (I've learned that rust does not 'heal' - and you've probably guessed that I want to find out what 'long haul' means to a MINI) )

So, my 2002 MC looked and ran like new for 248 miles this afternoon -
and I watched as the odometer turned over to 411,000 miles about 100 miles ago.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Cadenza
5th Gear
I spotted a little orange staining and small blisters below the tail lights recently -the first signs that this amazing car is 'normal' after all. Since I'll be driving it over salt covered roads this winter - like all others - I had some work done behind those lights before it gets worse (I've learned that rust does not 'heal' - and you've probably guessed that I want to find out what 'long haul' means to a MINI) )

So, my 2002 MC looked and ran like new for 248 miles this afternoon -
and I watched as the odometer turned over to 411,000 miles about 100 miles ago.
Mine (2006) has braved ~36,600 miles.

Your MC's courage gives us hope.

You've got to post a pic!!!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:28 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd love to see pics of that MINI and its current odometer reading. That's just amazing!

I'm at around 45k on my '04...

Old 12-20-2010, 05:23 PM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
I'd love to see pics of that MINI and its current odometer reading. That's just amazing!

I'm at around 45k on my '04...
I'm at 48,8xx in my 04. Perhaps some routine TLC is all they need.

Thanks for the inspiration hstanfield

Quick Reply: R50/53 Keeping Your MCS for the Long Haul?