R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Do you still wave...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 03:10 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get so darn depressed with the lack of response to my waves that I have to read this thread every now and then just to remind me that there still are people who understand and care. Thanks.

Oh, I truly believe that it all went south about the time Mini sold it's 100,000th unit...

Old 06-10-2008, 04:18 AM
lawmann
Coordinator :: Middle Georgia MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depressed or Not Depressed...that is the Question.

I understand how you feel. Before people were buying MINIs who understood the MINI/Mini culture, but now it is more and more because of the cost of fuel; I think it is those individuals who really do not understand.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:10 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ClintTheMiniOwner
What about the ones where you have already waved to earlier that day or the one that you pass everyday and you just don't know anymore. And what's really scary is when you get the two handed wave

For those you've already waved to, or you pass everyday, work on the "we're so cool" nod of acknowledgment/appreciation....

And don't despair, kids...it's just a matter of training the newbies to the "MINI" side of the force... Just yesterday I was verbally & physically waved at, shoulder pounded, and drawn into appreciative discussion with a new Mini owner in my work parking lot (I had left a note w/my "handle" directing him to this website.) He really appreciated the direction and information, and I made sure I emphasized that since HE appreciated it, he now must wave, or at a minimum, acknowledge other Mini owners. He thought it was one of those required things and had already started to do so. Just makin' our corners of the world a little better....

Old 06-10-2008, 06:13 AM
GP0256
5th Gear
MINI owners in the North Hills of Pittsburgh DO NOT WAVE. I saw an exact replica of my car yesterday 2 miles from my house, another guy driving it, waved and he gave me a dirty look! WAY TO GO PAL. I know there are also a lot of MINIS in PGH that are not even in a club or interested in joining because they are all snobs. This is too bad. When I got my last BRG '05 in August of 2004, everyone looked and waved. Now, Nothing!

Old 06-10-2008, 06:21 AM
atn57
4th Gear
Back when I first got my 04 MCS I got waves about 80% of the time. I now have an 08 MCS and I still wave when people don't. Most of the time the person in the car will speed up look at me funny and speed off. I wave all the time but about 30% of the time people wave back now.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:35 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Yes, I try to wave to other Mini drivers whenever possible. That's inbetween folks cutting in front of me when there's no room, only to go ten miles an hour less than I was presently going. Then there's the drivers moving into MY lane while chatting on their cell phones. Drivers are on a downward spiral in our area. Everything else is more important than them being aware of the road around them. I'm sure it's everywhere. I find that I miss a few Minis in the passing trying to predict the road ahead.

I always try to wave back as well when waved to. I'm sure I miss a few with all the traffic crap happening on our local road system of death.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:59 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
i still try ot wave whenever i see a mini copper... even though most did not wave back..i dun mind.. as long as one person wave back...it make it all worthwhile..

Old 07-25-2008, 05:39 PM
daegerter
2nd Gear
yeah!! only about 1/3 women will wave to me whereas 9/10 men will wave back? what gives, ladies?!

Old 07-25-2008, 06:41 PM
lawmann
Coordinator :: Middle Georgia MINIs
Riding the Wave

I think it is the same everywhere; newbies buying a MINI not understanding the MINI culture. I think the sales people need to do a better job explaining it to the new buyers.

Last edited by lawmann; 08-14-2008 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Peaches611
4th Gear
I'm a new MINI owner and I am trying to stay positive re: save the wave.

I wave like a MINIac at any MINI I see, even if it's parked and nobody's in it. The first time I got an enthusiastic wave-back, it was all worth it--I was ecstatic!

But I'll stand my ground and I won't back down ( in the immortal words of Tom Petty)----I shall keep waving, no matter what shall ensue!!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 07:15 AM
exposition
5th Gear
I was filling up my gas at a Shell the other day and i saw a yellow MINI drive down the road in front of me. I waved like CRAZY as I was standing beside mine, but I'm not sure if they waved back or even saw me. Their windows were very tinted. So if you drive a yellow MINI and were going down NW HWY Thursday afternoon and saw a red MINI waving from that shell station off Midway... that was me!

Old 07-27-2008, 04:17 AM
DOT191
3rd Gear
Old 07-27-2008, 04:35 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Peaches611
I'm a new MINI owner and I am trying to stay positive re: save the wave.

I wave like a MINIac at any MINI I see, even if it's parked and nobody's in it. The first time I got an enthusiastic wave-back, it was all worth it--I was ecstatic!

But I'll stand my ground and I won't back down ( in the immortal words of Tom Petty)----I shall keep waving, no matter what shall ensue!!!!
Originally Posted by exposition
I was filling up my gas at a Shell the other day and i saw a yellow MINI drive down the road in front of me. I waved like CRAZY as I was standing beside mine, but I'm not sure if they waved back or even saw me. Their windows were very tinted. So if you drive a yellow MINI and were going down NW HWY Thursday afternoon and saw a red MINI waving from that shell station off Midway... that was me!
I am glad to see my fellow Texans doing their part to save the wave!

Old 07-27-2008, 05:24 AM
catseye
3rd Gear
I look to see if the other guy/girl is paying any attention, then acknowledge...tired of waving and getting no response....

Old 07-27-2008, 06:21 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by catseye
I look to see if the other guy/girl is paying any attention, then acknowledge...tired of waving and getting no response....
+1, but I always wave anyways!

Old 07-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Posted this in the General forum, too:
For months I have passed a MINI near my work (going to or coming from) and waved at the young lady (early to mid-twenties) consistantly. No response. But I always wave.
Finally, yesterday -beautiful sunny day, windows down, stereo up, Pink Floyd cranked, grin at full extension- I flapped my arm at her again.
Whoa! She flips me the peace sign and grins!! W00T!
Persistance pays off. Hopefully she'll pass that wave on to the next MINI she sees. I figure with the number of MINI's on the road, if I wave at every one I see (and I do try -I've been doing it for the last six years), sooner or later my wave will travel from here on the west coast all the way across America to someone on the east coast.
Whoever gets that wave: Hi! from Skip. Like your car.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Longboard110
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i dont wave to people I know

Old 07-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Peaches611
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner
Posted this in the General forum, too:
For months I have passed a MINI near my work (going to or coming from) and waved at the young lady (early to mid-twenties) consistantly. No response. But I always wave.
Finally, yesterday -beautiful sunny day, windows down, stereo up, Pink Floyd cranked, grin at full extension- I flapped my arm at her again.
Whoa! She flips me the peace sign and grins!! W00T!
Persistance pays off. Hopefully she'll pass that wave on to the next MINI she sees. I figure with the number of MINI's on the road, if I wave at every one I see (and I do try -I've been doing it for the last six years), sooner or later my wave will travel from here on the west coast all the way across America to someone on the east coast.
My feelings exactly! If everybody gives up because folks don't wave back, then we'll eventually become a bunch of 100% "this is just my car, nothing special" non-wavers. It's just one of 1000 things that make the MINI community special. Us wavers/thumbs uppers/peace signers need to keep it going, suffer the ignores/are you crazy looks, etc., and eventually the non-believers will cross over to the light.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Woobn8r
2nd Gear
Do I wave?
......Abso-Freakin-lutely!

When "non-wavers" finally notice, and realize it's THEM that is getting waved at...they will start to wave at others....

If you know about the custom....you're bound to it for life!

Old 07-28-2008, 03:25 PM
ScottLes
2nd Gear
1 for 5 today. I find that the people driving S's have a higher probability of returning the wave.

On a side note, this past weekend I was driving my dad's new Cadillac and was thinking to myself. Although it is an extremely nice car, I'd much rather be driving the MINI instead. That is the first time ever that I have chosen my car over one of my parents. It's just something about the MINI that makes me a MINIac!

Old 07-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Tweeckey
4th Gear
I've begun to think that people here in the OC are either snobs, or are blind. Lol. Because since I got my MINI 2 weeks ago, I haven't had any waves from other MINI owners I've passed, and I tried as heck to get them to. I remember one time when I was in Newport Beach and traffic was slow, there was this lady with a Sidewalk right next to me and we were driving almost side by side for a good 10mins, and she never even bothered to look my way. Wanted to compliment her on her choice of MINI but she was looking ahead all the time even when I got to drive infront of her at one point. Oh well. It went on for awhile, people are just to focused on looking ahead.

One guy redeemed himself though, finally!

I got my first wave the other day from a Laser Blue/White with Bonnet Stripes MINI driving on the other lane on my way home. Already saw him from afar and I instantly knew that it was a MINI. As he drew closer I flashed my headlights at him and he waved at me with a big smile and I returned the favor! OMG that felt so good!! [plus the guy was really cute . Haha]

So I guess try and try until you .. get a wave back!

Old 07-28-2008, 05:24 PM
JimL
1st Gear
For the last couple months I've had the unique opportunity to drive not only my own '05 MCSC, but also my friend's '04 MCS MC40. I am spending the summer house sitting and pet sitting for a couple of friends while they are both deployed to the Middle East. Of course I have to exercise their vehicles in their absence.

One thing I've noticed while switching back & forth between the two MINIs is the difference in the "Wave Factor". Regardless of which one I'm driving, I always have my eye open for other MINIs, and wave whenever possible. My MCSC is British Racing Green with a black top, while the MC40 is (of course) Red with white top. Over the past year & a half that I've had my MINI, I figure that I get a return wave from other MINI drivers about 25-30% of the time. Doesn't seem to matter whether I have the top up or down, the response, or Wave Factor, is about the same. While driving the Red MC40, however, I've noticed that the Wave Factor is significantly higher! Probably on the order of 75% or better. The MC40 number & other magnetic add ons are not on the car, so to the uninitiated, it looks to be just another MCS.

Has anybody else noticed a Wave Factor difference between different colors?

Happy Motoring!
- Jim L

Old 07-28-2008, 06:45 PM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottLes
1 for 5 today. I find that the people driving S's have a higher probability of returning the wave.

On a side note, this past weekend I was driving my dad's new Cadillac and was thinking to myself. Although it is an extremely nice car, I'd much rather be driving the MINI instead. That is the first time ever that I have chosen my car over one of my parents. It's just something about the MINI that makes me a MINIac!
I hate to say this, but its soooo true. S owners are more likely to wave back. I don't know why exactly.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:46 PM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Woobn8r
Do I wave?
......Abso-Freakin-lutely!

When "non-wavers" finally notice, and realize it's THEM that is getting waved at...they will start to wave at others....

If you know about the custom....you're bound to it for life!
Gotta spread the love.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:23 PM
rynegold
2nd Gear
error/15690

Last edited by rynegold; 09-10-2009 at 06:25 AM.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Do you still wave...