R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Do you still wave...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:46 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've also discovered that a LOT of people just don't pay attention -- they may WANT to wave, but they're not paying attention to anyone around them. I'm self-admittedly a NUT, but I've discovered that unless I REALLY make myself known, I don't even get a glance in my direction. I'll drive parallel to a fellow MINIst on the highway until they see me and I'll wave, or the WHOLE arm goes out the window for a wave, or lights, etc.

Kinda scary - nobody paying attention?

Old 08-10-2008, 06:52 AM
exposition
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, everyone is in their own little world. I saw at least 4 MINIs the other day while I was running errands. I waved at all of them and didn't get even a glance. It's becoming all too common.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by exposition
Yep, everyone is in their own little world. I saw at least 4 MINIs the other day while I was running errands. I waved at all of them and didn't get even a glance. It's becoming all too common.
Yep, same here. But oh, I wasn't driving the Mini at the time.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:55 AM
suspencer
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it's funny how there are only a few certain vehicles whose drivers can wave to one another without feeling silly. I know there's a Jeep wave. But what about an Oldsmobile wave? Or could you imagine a Honda Civic wave?! Oh god, that would be deadly. I know it's legal for a just-a-cooper and a cooper S to wave, but what about an S and a Clubman? There should be a handbook on this stuff.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:58 AM
irieman
5th Gear
I still wave! BTW *I* got a wave the other day- from a Smart car?! I think it wasn't a hey-nice-MINI wave, but a save-the-planet wave. (go figure!)

Old 08-11-2008, 07:00 AM
irieman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMusician
I'll keep on waving and winking, regardless of what others do. I place little cards on the windshield that says Nice Mini, too. We must educate these people that Mini's are more than gas efficient cars... they are family, and the people that drive them are family too (kinda - sorta).. ha ha

^^ yes, what he said!

exposition
5th Gear
Originally Posted by suspencer
I know it's legal for a just-a-cooper and a cooper S to wave, but what about an S and a Clubman? There should be a handbook on this stuff.
Pretty sure it applies to ALL minis. Old, new, MC, MCS, Cabrio, Clubman. We all must wave or perish.

x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by suspencer
I think it's funny how there are only a few certain vehicles whose drivers can wave to one another without feeling silly. I know there's a Jeep wave. But what about an Oldsmobile wave? Or could you imagine a Honda Civic wave?! Oh god, that would be deadly. I know it's legal for a just-a-cooper and a cooper S to wave, but what about an S and a Clubman? There should be a handbook on this stuff.
I think there IS a handbook on it. Anyway, if you read through this thread (and other "wave" threads like it) you'll realize: we MINIsts can't be picky -- wave at ALL MINIs!!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:38 AM
suspencer
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
-- wave at ALL MINIs!!
will do

Old 08-12-2008, 11:41 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My new thing is to wave and LOL..
Since the majority of the time once I wave the other mini driver quickly turns their head the other way...

Old 08-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Quesera
5th Gear
Despite the rainy weather, we got two waves today,one from a beautiful Chili Red hardtop and the other from an orange convertible with the rare (love it or hate it) blue top. thanks for sharing the MINI love!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Boxcars
3rd Gear
hi
I still wave, but the return rate is a dismal 25-30%.
Went on a club run the other day and we got lots of waves, thumbs up from other MINIs, bikes and motorcycles, must a been the wow factor of 28 minis.
boxcars

Old 08-13-2008, 08:39 AM
sohllee
1st Gear
After 11 years of driving a Jeep Wrangler, I have been test driving my brother-in-law's 2003 MINI Cooper S that is for sale. I wanted to see if I could adjust to such a low car and if it was truly large enough for my needs. I've been driving it for three weeks now, and get about an 85 percent wave return, which is similar to the percent I get from Wranglers here in the northwest corner of Connecticut (if I drive the Jeep across the border into New York, I get way fewer responses). At least in this area, the MINI wave appears to be alive and well. As far as waving to different models, I know my husband and I have a hard time waving to the new four-door Wrangler, but generally take the higher road. They rarely wave, however, so perhaps the Jeep wave is not included in the newest manual. And on an exciting note, I'm buying the MINI! It's really cool having a car that can corner (although I'm a little overwhelmed by the electric windows, air conditioning, gas mileage and dry boot!).

Old 08-13-2008, 09:03 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sohllee
After 11 years of driving a Jeep Wrangler, I have been test driving my brother-in-law's 2003 MINI Cooper S that is for sale.
Thats funny I thought I was the only one that transitioned from the Jeep world to the MINI world.

Yes the wave is a common thread between Jeeps, Motorcycles and MINI's.
I have always owned a Jeep and thought I always would but after I test drove the MINI for someone
else I sold my Jeep and bought the MCSc that I currently drive and have not missed the Jeep a single bit.
I do believe that the new breed of Jeeps are more Family stationwagons than off road vehicles.
So the Jeep enthusiast is dying off and being replaced by the soccer moms and cubscout dads.

Save the Wave!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:10 AM
planecode
2nd Gear
I also am a convert - albeit after a few years. I drove a Wrangler for nearly 13 years, switched to a Silverado, then to my 03 MINI - couldn't be happier

Old 08-13-2008, 10:36 AM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
How about a salutation like in the military? My wife always comments that I look like an idiot waving when the other drivers don't even look at you.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Blckmorning
2nd Gear
I wave, but when they don't wave back, i make it look like i was just riding the wind with my hand.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:17 PM
soccergolf55
1st Gear
I'm tired of waving at other MINI's and not getting a wave back! I have both a Jeep and a motorcycle and we wave at every Jeep or motorcycle we see. I know we get busy and we are off in our own little world while driving but one thing is for sure, no matter what I am doing in my car another MINI always catches my eye. These cars are getting more and more prevalent by the day here in Dallas, but still I feel that we have our own little club and should be proud to wave at each other in know the simple fact that we drive such similar cars and that everyone else on the road envies us.

So as I do with my other vehicles, if you don't wave then you get a different wave if you catch my drift.

Lets start a revolution...Bring back the wave in a big way.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:21 PM
exposition
5th Gear
Originally Posted by soccergolf55
I'm tired of waving at other MINI's and not getting a wave back! I have both a Jeep and a motorcycle and we wave at every Jeep or motorcycle we see. I know we get busy and we are off in our own little world while driving but one thing is for sure, no matter what I am doing in my car another MINI always catches my eye. These cars are getting more and more prevalent by the day here in Dallas, but still I feel that we have our own little club and should be proud to wave at each other in know the simple fact that we drive such similar cars and that everyone else on the road envies us.

So as I do with my other vehicles, if you don't wave then you get a different wave if you catch my drift.

Lets start a revolution...Bring back the wave in a big way.
I'm with you. At least we can start a revolution in Dallas.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:33 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I've been thinking about it...

For those areas that are saturated with new MINIsts - especially the non-waving kind -- how about you guys organize a really slow run (kinda like a parade) going through the areas you've notice have the most MINIs, or would be the most NOTICED....and just wave your arms off to EVERYBODY. SO...like in San Fran, coordinate a "run" through an area (where a majority of MINIs have been spotted) that's about 35-45 MPH (or less) with at least three or more MINIs and just wave at everybody. Do it once or twice a year, and maybe more folks would pick up on it. YOu might even get some of the MINI dealers to help fund or contribute to it, since it's free advertising.

???

Old 08-14-2008, 06:06 AM
lawmann
Coordinator :: Middle Georgia MINIs
Huh? Did I hear that right?!

Originally Posted by 483FITTER
i dont wave to people I know

Why not?

Old 08-14-2008, 06:15 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
I've been thinking about it...

For those areas that are saturated with new MINIsts - especially the non-waving kind -- how about you guys organize a really slow run (kinda like a parade) going through the areas you've notice have the most MINIs, or would be the most NOTICED....and just wave your arms off to EVERYBODY. SO...like in San Fran, coordinate a "run" through an area (where a majority of MINIs have been spotted) that's about 35-45 MPH (or less) with at least three or more MINIs and just wave at everybody. Do it once or twice a year, and maybe more folks would pick up on it. YOu might even get some of the MINI dealers to help fund or contribute to it, since it's free advertising.

???
That sounds like a good idea!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:18 AM
lawmann
Coordinator :: Middle Georgia MINIs
Recent Wavings

Our club had a "Grub Run" 2 weeks ago as we motored from Warner Robins, GA to Dublin, GA (I put the "GA" in there so no one would come back with a "How was the drive across the Atlantic? Wave to the fishes did we?") and we had a caravan of 10 MINIs. We passed a MINI going the opposite way on I-16 and wow, were they waving like crazy!

We also passed a few MINIs to and from Savannah to participate in the Phil Wicks MINI Driving Academy, and all of the MINIs waved...I think one on the way home on Hwy 80 was Qwkslvr.

I think the word is beginning to spread!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:06 PM
dexskywalker
1st Gear
[quote=cabriopilot;2421921]Thats funny I thought I was the only one that transitioned from the Jeep world to the MINI world.

Yes the wave is a common thread between Jeeps, Motorcycles and MINI's.
I have always owned a Jeep and thought I always would but after I test drove the MINI for someone
else I sold my Jeep and bought the MCSc that I currently drive and have not missed the Jeep a single bit.
I do believe that the new breed of Jeeps are more Family stationwagons than off road vehicles.
So the Jeep enthusiast is dying off and being replaced by the soccer moms and cubscout dads.

Save the Wave!

[I think that having a Jeep wrangler and a Mini at the same time, is perfect!!! There are two iconic cars!!! I have a 2007 Red Rubicon (2 drs) and a 2006 Dark Silver MCS!! The history was that I had previously a 2004 Dark Silver MCS, and since new circumstances (changed of work blah, blah, blah, two new tires in less than a year, blah, blah, blah, one repaired wheel), I decided to change my MCS for the new 2007 Wrangler. So I changed it. To make the history short, I couldnt for what I did, and in less than 7 months I acquired my 2nd MCS Dark Silver BTW, but 2006. And the history is that having both, just complete me.]

Old 08-14-2008, 01:17 PM
roscoenj
2nd Gear
Have had my mini three weeks now. I find its hard to wave when I know I am likely to be ignored in return. I also ride a roadbike and cyclists always return a wave - much less snooty.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Do you still wave...