R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Do you still wave...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 09:33 PM
Capn_Panic
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe there are just too many Minis in San Francisco for people to be friendly about it. I have yet to see anyone wave or even acknowledge each other in the two weeks I've had mine. In fact I parked between two other MCS's at the supermarket (I should have taken a photo on my way home today and while I was all smiles, seeing the three Mini's lined up, I found a note under my wiper when i came out that just said "Sucka" and had a little frowny face on it :\
I'm not sure if it was a friendly note or not, but it left me with a wierd feeling. I guess there are so many Minis in the Bay Area, (they really are everywhere) that it's not a big thing here.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
I exchanged waves with a fellow owner today. Pretty cool

Old 12-30-2005, 03:52 PM
MR ECON
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here in Northern Nevada, we are still a rather friendly bunch and Minis are still relatively rare, so we tend to smile and wave at each other every chance we get. It gives me warm fuzzies.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:54 PM
jerjer
4th Gear
i'm scared to do it in vancouver, BC. too many chinese drivers (i'm one of them), they just think you want to race or sth. so it's not worth it to be friendly ~ haha, maybe waving at a MC is better (no offense~ haha)

Old 12-30-2005, 04:10 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I still wave when I see chili reds, or when someone waves to me!

Old 12-30-2005, 04:40 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a waver & proud of it. The other day in the space of just 3 city blocks I was waved at & returned the wave 3 times. These were the first MINI's I've seen while driving my new MCS. Usually I don't see many MINI's around here. It left me all warm & fuzzy feeling.

Chuck

Old 12-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't always get a wave back but its worth a try. I give a thumbs up when we take different roads. I get more response when I wave through the sunroof. I'm afraid to honk cause I don't want to scare the traffic around me. Happy motoring

Old 12-30-2005, 05:39 PM
chex4me
1st Gear
A few days into MINI ownership, I got a friendly honk and wave from a fellow owner here in B'more--couldn't stop smiling that night. Ever since, I've been an avid waver. My track record for responses is about 30% (no matter how obnoxiously or frantically I wave), but I figured better to spread the love than not!

Old 12-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
It's been so long since I have seen another MINI(or Mini), that I don't remember if I still wave or not.

Actually, I still wave when I see another MINI. To me that is just part of having a MINI.

My big problem is the car I drive the most isn't my MINI. So I'm driving this other car, see a MINI and wave and/or honk, and the MINI owners seem to look at me like I've lost my mind.

Now that I think about it, I have lost my mind, but that's a whole other discussion.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:02 PM
TheOldMan
4th Gear
Always wave, almost always get a wave back. It always makes me feel great.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:08 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
I am sure this has already been covered several times. I haven't yet reviewed the whole thread in it's entirety (I might still if I can't sleep and the husband can), but in Birmingham, Alabama ( ), MINIS are just are not that common!!!!!!!!!!! (actually I love living here, but that is another discussion)

We still get asked "if those are one of those little electric type cars" I wish I was kidding (maybe I do..Maybe I don't.)...The best response was when we stopped at a Barbecue joint with his vacu-cams mounted to the hood!

We WAVE with happy enthusiasm!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2005, 07:32 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hang my head in the utmost shame, despair, and torment because I, in fact, have cut back on waving. It breaks my heart. How many unrequited waves have gone ignored as if I were a mere phantom wafting about upon the public roads. Oh I wave at MINIs I recognize....the few, the bold, the early owners....who with me braved constant stares and the pointing fingers of children. Occasionally I wave at others, too...you can see the eager, wild look of MINI madness in their eye....oh, yes, it is that apparent. But for many others.....no. I trust, deep within the preoccupied heart of the more average owner beats a heart that truly loves their MINI. I do not judge them. Perhaps it was all destined to come to this at some point.

But although the light has dimmed, it is yet not extinguished. For the 50th anniversary of the MINI is on the distant horizon...and as long as there are motorers, as long as there are Minis, the glowing embers of waving will last, come what may. Yes, you who are strong...continue your public display of solidarity. Be proud in spite of apparent apathy....or model upgrades, or discontinued colors, or the loss of bumper strips, or local dealers who are dispensing MINIs as fast as they come off the truck!!

After all...we are MINI owners...if we motor, do we not wave???

Old 12-30-2005, 07:38 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PurplePeopleEater
... in Birmingham, Alabama ( ), MINIS are just are not that common!!!!!!!!!!!
Interesting. We were out and about today and saw at least 8 without even looking for them. Many parked in store lots. Most were MC, very few MCS.

They are just too common now. Although we have had several workmen to the house this week and everyone has made some kind of comment.

Since I don't get to drive it that often (another story) I had to take it out today to "blow the gunk out of the engine"
It's too funny because my wife doesn't get to listen to her favorite XM station when I drive

Old 12-30-2005, 07:39 PM
bumble's angel
6th Gear
I thought it was a rule to wave. I always wave. Sometimes I wave in the Kia if I forget what car I am in.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:58 PM
TheOldMan
4th Gear
gokartride, wow, nicely said!

Let me try!

To wave, or not to wave: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler to wave and suffer
The slings and arrows of ignoring MINIs,
Or to take arms and wave from the sunroof,
And by opposing them scare them? To flash: to honk;
No more; Should I buy a Chevy and end
The heart-ache of a thousand unanswered thumbs up?

Old 12-30-2005, 08:03 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
It is clearly a mixed blessing to live in a town ALMOST devoid of other MINIs. The last MINI I saw was a VERY ENTHUSIASTIC MINI OWNER (pure silver) who was at least as happy to see me as I was to see her!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2005, 08:04 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
gokartride, wow, nicely said!

Let me try!

I love the creativity and feel the heart break!

Old 12-30-2005, 08:04 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Dood I am using that in a book I am making....writing...er ok...so...yeah...you'll get credit...LOL...the people you spoke of are "original motorers"

I just got me a set of F355 horns...they are loud as hell and I honk and wave...not to mention as I pull up next to them and let off the throttle they are prevy to the 8billion decible PTIEESHHHH from my BOV along with along with the exhaust...and prolly some back fire...so they have to look...I never wait anymore to see if they wave back though...I just wave and step on it...

Originally Posted by gokartride
I hang my head in the utmost shame, despair, and torment because I, in fact, have cut back on waving. It breaks my heart. How many unrequited waves have gone ignored as if I were a mere phantom wafting about upon the public roads. Oh I wave at MINIs I recognize....the few, the bold, the early owners....who with me braved constant stares and the pointing fingers of children. Occasionally I wave at others, too...you can see the eager, wild look of MINI madness in their eye....oh, yes, it is that apparent. But for many others.....no. I know, deep within the preoccupied heart of the more average owner beats a heart that truly loves their MINI. I do not judge them. Perhaps it was all destined to come to this at some point.

But although the light has dimmed, it is yet not extinguished. For the 50th anniversary of the MINI is on the distant horizon...and as long as there are motorers, as long as there are Minis, the glowing embers of waving will last, come what may. Yes, you who are strong...continue your public display of solidarity. Be proud in spite of apparent apathy....or model upgrades, or discontinued colors, or the loss of bumper strips, or local dealers who are dispensing MINIs as fast as they come off the truck!!

After all...we are MINI owners...if we motor, do we not wave???

Old 12-30-2005, 08:06 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
i stopped waving, before i do get alot of enthusiastic owners, now though not so much, whic his real sad, im not gonna apologize for it because ive never ever gotten a response... the few odd times i do get a response... i wave back though if people wave to me...

Old 12-30-2005, 08:07 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
I can barely choke back the tears...bravo, sir!!

Old 12-30-2005, 09:59 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
i always wave

Old 12-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bumble78
I thought it was a rule to wave. I always wave. Sometimes I wave in the Kia if I forget what car I am in.
I was waving in a rental last week, got a couple of wierd looks.

Old 12-30-2005, 10:07 PM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
I wave and flash every chance I get

Old 12-30-2005, 10:08 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
It's really tough to talk on the cell phone and wave at the same time. Good thing I hate talking on the phone!

Old 12-31-2005, 08:05 AM
jdmarino
4th Gear
Lack of wave is not always bad

Originally Posted by gokartride
I hang my head in the utmost shame, despair, and torment because I, in fact, have cut back on waving. It breaks my heart. How many unrequited waves have gone ignored as if I were a mere phantom wafting about upon the public roads.
I give the V-peace-sign.

I know that I've whizzed past many MINIs (going in opposite directions) to respond to waves in time, so I assume that the lack o' response to my "peace" is the same -- slow reflexes. Moreover, in the few situations where there was enough time to respond, the response is unually preceded by an "aha!" sort of look. This suggests to me I've surprised my counterparty.

SO quit despairing -- you're transmitting and maybe the others are tuned to a different frequency -- not your fault!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Do you still wave...