R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Future MINI owner would like advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003 | 05:08 PM
JLC
|
Neutral
I am planning on getting a regular Cooper sometime in the Spring of 04 and need a little advise.

I am considering either the Sport Package or just the Sport seats and fog lamps (to keep the cost down). I live in Utah and I will encounter ice and snow, and I'm not sure that the 16" wheels w/run-flats would be the best rational choice.

Not sure if I need the DSC in the regular Cooper. If I don't get DSC, would the toggle switch be removed or would there be a "dummy" switch that didn't do anything?

Lastly, anyone know when the Getrag 5-speed tranny will begin to be used in the MC?

Thanks for your input!!

Old 12-04-2003 | 05:32 PM
XAlfa
Banned
As someone with the Sport package (bought a used car with it) I think you'd be better off not getting it (although you can get Blizzaks to fit the 16" wheels). You'll be happy with the (much) lighter 15" wheels and conventional tires. Definitely get the Sport seats, though.

Not sure about the toggle switch, but I'd assume you get a blanking plate.

I believe the Getrag goes into production this summer.

Old 12-04-2003 | 05:53 PM
KiLO
6th Gear
Well, I've got the Sport package as well as the sport suspension plus. I love it. It handles like a dream.

Honestly, it's all personal preference. If you plan to drive it hard on corners, etc, then you may want to get the Sport package, and even consider the SS+. If not, no worries, you may be better off without it.

I don't have any experience driving in snow, so I'm not sure from that perspective what might be better for you. I know we have quite a few snow-bound mini's here, so speak up!

Welcome to NAM and have fun!

Old 12-04-2003 | 06:01 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
JLC,
Aloha and welcome to NAM.

>>I am considering either the Sport Package or just the Sport seats and fog lamps (to keep the cost down). I live in Utah and I will encounter ice and snow, and I'm not sure that the 16" wheels w/run-flats would be the best rational choice.

If there is a fair amount of ice and snow for you then snow tires might be the best bet as the stock 16" wheels and runflats are not up to the task for most owners in similar climates. The 16" runflats are more rough riding. The Sport seats and fog lamps sound fine to me. Sport suspension plus is separate from Sports package. The suspension upgrade helps stiffen the suspension for the MC closer to the MCS.

>>Not sure if I need the DSC in the regular Cooper. If I don't get DSC, would the toggle switch be removed or would there be a "dummy" switch that didn't do anything?

If you don't get DSC there will be a blank toggle switch. It's up to you about DSC which is more of a safety feature for maintaining control of your MINI. For owners that want more performance, they often turn off DSC. Of note- the dealership in my area always recommends DSC esp for MC (the MCS has ASC+T (not avail for MC) as standard and DSC as optional).

>>Lastly, anyone know when the Getrag 5-speed tranny will begin to be used in the MC?
See
http://www.bridger.us/mini/?Y=2003&M...heCooperIn2005
The current MC manual gearbox will end production around June/July 2004 so summer of 2004 is a good guess. The first MINI with the 5 speed getrag will be the April 04 build MINI Cabriolet.

Old 12-04-2003 | 06:02 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Welcome to North American Motoring, JLC!

If you do not get the DSC, you will have a blank where the toggle would have gone.

I had a regular '02 Cooper, which I traded in after 5 months for an '03 MCS this past April. I would recommend the upgraded suspension, which I did not have in my first MINI.

In fact, I would recommend the sports package if you can swing it. The sport seats will hold you much better in the twisties, the suspension is tighter, and with that sport suspension plus, the ride of the 16-inch runflats (I have the Dunlop all-weathers), is just as smooth as was the ride in my non-runflats on the Cooper.

Good luck and let us know your final specs!

Clo/Wanda