R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MY BUILD UP, continued...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 03:26 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh wow... that hood looks DOPE! any plans to paint the Hood scoops?

Old 05-09-2011, 03:36 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I really like the look of the factory mesh coul vents, the only thing I think I would replace them with (If M7 would get GrilleCraft to make them) would be a real wire mesh. I thought the coul scoops where cool at first but after seing the video of a yarn test showing how they sit in a dead zone they lost their apeal to me. Now the new Voltage scoops on LB's car do look like they are big enough to be functional, but the giant scoop look isnt for me, I am more for the streemlined low profile look. (Well except that kick *** M7 C wing!)
The NACA ducts in the location they are in (a verified high pressure area) will supply as much or more air into the airbox, and over the header' than the Voltage scoops. And they only stick up an eighth of an inch.

Since the cat is out of the bag that I am doing my carbon hood next, I will post some more pic's and maby even mock up a yarn test (to show the holes in action) later on. I just want to say that even though measuring everything out and cutting the holes took an entire day, that was the easy part! All the edges are crappy the hood has the texture of the carbon weave showing in the clear coat, the grille does not fit' who knows how far off the bolt holes are, I almost ended up not using it. But I am willing to tackel the project and it shuld be good in the end.

Well I might be back on with some more pics later, but for now I need to call Rick at BoosTec, my money just got to me, and tomorrow is SPRINTEX day!

Old 05-09-2011, 04:43 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Yep, Boostec just confirmed it tomorrow is SPRINTEX day.

Looks like I am going to need to spontaniously come down with an illness to leave work early. Cough Cough...

Old 05-11-2011, 06:14 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Ok so I was really buissy yesterday. Got off work at 10:00am drove down to the springs, found BoosTec hidden right where the map said it was, and got into a 4 hour conversation about everything from the rock on up. It was great talking with Rick and the guys in the shop, lots of good news to come from Sprintex, and BoosTec.
Long story short, I became the FIRST private owner (that we know of)to take delivery of the new S/C kit. The entire kit is beautiful in every way, too bad 90% of it will be covered up. The S/C itself is one serious pice, by turning the pulley by hand, you can see the protective tape over the ports move quite a bit, so this thing will produce some major compression. The castings would feel more at home in an art museaum than a dirty engine bay, and the tensioner looks like it could take a nucliear blast. The stock tensioner has some wiggle to the spring if you try to compress it by hand, NOT this sucker it feels like trying to squeeze a diamond out of a rock.
I also went up to PEAK EUROSPORT in Denver, as a favor to Rick at BoosTec, to see if they would like to be an install/retail shop for the Kits. I didn't even get done talking and got a big YES out of Ernie the owner of the place. So as of right now they are on board for us Colorado folks, if anyone is intrested. Look for an add in MC2 magazine for more details.
Anyhow I got back home and it was just about time to head down to my monthly MINI5280 club meeting, so no chance to post pic's.
But here they are, starting with the hood and the airflow testing I did in my garage. (Hey I promised!)

The airflow testing was done with the hood as close to the angle the car sits as I can get, and I was using a high volume low pressure fan to simulate about a 30 MPH wind.

It looks like I would get more air into the NACA's if they where moved further to the outer edges, but they still will catch a good deal of air where they are. (right into the ALTA airbox, and over the header)
With the other strings removed, you can easily see that even an inch or so above the scoop, the air wants to dive right in.

And now for the main event #1, NUMERO UNO, THE FIRST of the independantly owned Sprintex S/C's.

Install is coming up NEXT WEEKEND!

Old 05-11-2011, 06:34 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That kit looks soooo good!!!!

Can't wait to see the bonnet on the car

The build is coming together man.... some real good stuff.....

Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
The hood is still a ways from going on the car, I am going to install it at hhe same time as the rest of the body mods. (JCW AREO front and rear bumpers, R50 COOPER side skirts, paint, and a couple tweaks here and there.)

Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53

It looks like I would get more air into the NACA's if they where moved further to the outer edges, but they still will catch a good deal of air where they are. (right into the ALTA airbox, and over the header)
With the other strings removed, you can easily see that even an inch or so above the scoop, the air wants to dive right in.
Looks good! When it's on the car, with the windscreen behind it, there should be a steeper pressure gradient across the duct when the car's moving through laminar air, which should make the air want to dive in there even more....

Anything you can do to get air moving under the bonnet is going to help cool thing down under there.

Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
And now for the main event #1, NUMERO UNO, THE FIRST of the independantly owned Sprintex S/C's.

Install is coming up NEXT WEEKEND!
Wow, that's a pretty piece of kit! I can't wait to see the install pics and commentary!

C ya,
Dutch

Old 05-11-2011, 11:07 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Hey Joe glad your still tuned in.
Rick at Boostec claims that even after a 45 minute drive in a 300HP Sprintex powered JEEP XJ (SAME S5-210 S/C SAME 70mm PULLEY) you can reach down and grab the S/C and not burn your hand!

Needless to say it shuld be cooler than average in my engine bay without the holes. The DFIC exit scoop is pretty well blocked off to the back of the I/C just to let the air out and boost the efficiency of the I/C. The NACA duct on the driver (PASSANGER in D-MAN's case) side drops right into the airbox that I am pretty much going to seal. So that only leaves the passanger side NACA to circulate the air in the bay, but it sits right above and to the left of the header, so it shuld be affective at blowing the heat from the exhaust right out the bottom of the car.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:30 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Rick, congrats. The Sprintex, with all the components, is a thing of beauty & function.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:37 AM
bmacneal
1st Gear
rick,

if you would like some help putting the sprintex on this weekend let me know. I'm up in fort collins. my schedule is pretty much open. it's not that I have a job or anything. I just got a 2005 mcs and am in learning mode. I can hold the beer better than anyone I know.

let me know

bob

Old 05-12-2011, 06:14 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Thanks for the offer Bob, I'm always willing to help people learn so I will keep you in mind. However this weekend I have a 3day army thing going on up in wyoming, so that is why the install is hapening next weekend.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Eclipse11S
3rd Gear
MY First time looking at your build thread and I had to PicKup my jaw from the floor.
Amazing work

Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Thanks ECLIPSE, You can ask some of the people here, that where around when I started posting, that it has been a year's worth of research, parts selection + aquiring, direction changes, new ideas, and some WAY outside of the box thinking that has gotten me this far. Sure knowing a wrench has helped, but its all just nuts and bolts when you tear into it, all you realy need is a good overall guideline of a plan to make it all work out.

Well I have a whole 4 hours to get some sleep, before the government gets me again, so I better get some sleep. Hear from you guys again Sunday night.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Rich, the build looks great.
Nice to see someone do a great job.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Mini for life!
3rd Gear
Old 05-15-2011, 09:01 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Just got back to Denver, the install starts tomorrow.

WAY, I need overnight parts again...

Old 05-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Mini for life!
3rd Gear
what i would do for that hood!!!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:16 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
The CF hood is a little more trouble to go through than I would normally suggest. In all actuality you can mod your stock hood to look like mine and wouldnt have as many issues. Ya CF is lighter, but the quality sucks if you want perfect.

Well its time to start tearing the front end apart to make some room.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Mini for life!
3rd Gear
i just started to check this thread and MAN i gotta say i WISH my mini can even come close to looking like yours!!!!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:32 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Crank pulley is broke too! It looks like it just seperated from the high heat when the S/C locked up. Ordered the parts I needed from Way (New A/C delete and OEM size ATI crank damper), they will be here tomorrow. (thanks Katrina, and Way. )

Everything is disassembled and ready to install, I will put pic's up (lots of carnage) in a little while.

Oh I haven't even looked at the instructions yet, so I might need to do that.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:24 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Ok Ok so here comes the pic's. I could of got the entire swap done today if I had all the parts that where broken, and I was working at a faster pace.

First up is the broken stuff. GOODBYE M45, I will miss your noises.

A/C delete pulley. (This is why you don't make pulley's out of plastic! BMW TAKE NOTE! )

The M45 next to its twinscrew replacment (all the green sludge isn't supposed to be there.)

Scratched M45 rotors.

Melted belt.

More S/C sludge in the outlet.

Even nasty green goo in the inlet.

An inlet comparison, what one do you think pulls more air?

Close up of the Sprintex inlet

Tensioner comparison, no more springs.

Inlet pipes, plastic sucks!

I wasn't too crazy about theese CNC marks and the little ridges on the new one.

So I did a little touch up.

Down the hole BEFORE

AFTER

Oh and in case you where wondering, heres stock.

So today I went from this:

To this:

And it was all done in HERE: (AKA A home garage with normal tools, NOT a SHOP. )

It shuld be runing again by the weekend.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Minian
5th Gear
D's Garage R53 - #@%&*!!! Now I really want one!

The first Sprintex Kit in Sin City has been delivered. It will be ready for AMVIV8, and I can't wait to see how it performs. Now I can follow D's thread and bump it against what's happening locally. I think I know what my Christmas present will be. Instead of buying a new Mini, I thinks I'll get a "WAY Performance Engine" with a Sprintex bolted on.

BTW - What was used to remove the CNC marks on the kit?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Haseo461x
2nd Gear
is the sprintex straight bolt on?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:55 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Minian, Glad to hear someone will have a Sprintex at AMVIV! I am pretty limmited to just local events, because of work and whatnot, or there would be two. The only major event I will make this year is MITM, the mountain roads here in CO. is my main focus for this build, and I can't wait for that 4 days of twisties.

As for the touch up on the new inlet pipe, it just takes a light hand with a Dremmel, the right bits, and a lot of oil. Just dont dive in and try to go too deep! If you really want to be picky with it touch up your Dremmel work with sand paper an oil, first with a 250 then a 400 and 1000 is good for a final. Wash out the oil and residue and its done.

HASIO461X , Yes it is, everything has fit perfect so far, and needs to. There is barely enough room in there for this S/C, sometimes it's even a little tricky geting the tools in to tighten the bolts.

Last edited by DICKS GARAGE R53; 05-16-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:19 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Watching! And, yup, wanting........................

Wow, that pulley got hot.

Quick Reply: R50/53 MY BUILD UP, continued...