R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MY BUILD UP, continued...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 06:11 PM
old81
M6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking good, I had my 07 out in the rain today after getting the new front rotors and pads put on at Schomp.

I'm just to old to do such fine work like you.

I will have the PL2 on Sunday, if I can move after moving 4 tons of rock, I promise to take a walk around vid and engine bay vid.

Perhaps get it purring and some blower sounds.

Don

Old 05-19-2011, 06:21 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds good Don, I am seting a new tune now, I might need to go out and get a log or two for tonight.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:46 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great build! And great thread! Keep updating You are using the FA for tuning correct?

Old 05-19-2011, 06:57 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You mentioned wheel spin, are you running any kind of LSD? Sorry if you have already mentioned this. Plus, again sorry if you have already said this, but what year is your car? Just wondering what tranny you have. I'm doing a 05 tranny swap on my 03 next week, plus installing a LSD and new clutch and flywheel too. Just want to make sure I'm all ready when I eventually do the Sprintex

Old 05-19-2011, 09:02 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
JIMINNI, Yes I am using full access, The car is an '05, Stock trans+clutch, no LSD. I would like to eventually get the O.S.G Super lock LSD, and maby do a lowered final drive at the same time, but that is way down the road. I almost bought an ACT clutch + flywheel, but have heard some pretty bad things about longevity, and high RPM problems with just about all of the aftermarket units. I have made up my mind to keep with the stock clutch for now, and maby replace it with a new OEM with the ACT flywheel when it craps out.

I was able to get some traction tonight to take a few logs! I loaded a STOCK tune that I modified the Tourque limmiters, and the targeted manifold pressures (based off of an M45 Tune and logs I did) and tried to run it.
Well, in 3rd gear trying to do a pull the AFR went WAY TOO RICH, and it went into limp at 4000RPM. This is with stock fuel mapping scaled for the 550's.

I adjusted the VE fueling map, and was able to get in one full 7200RPM pull! Then LIMP again, it's expected though, you cant really change something this critical and not expect to spend your fair share of time tuning. Anyhow after the adjustment the AFR droped into the 10's (Still RICH) at 4000 and stayed there until the rev limmiter at 7200. That is the cause of the limp mode, I normally only barely dip into the 10's at 6700.

Side by side on the dataviewer software (data loging S/W) I pulled up a log from one of the last M45 tunes I did, and the log from tonight. I noticed the temps where actually about the same, the knock levels where lower (stock timing who woulda thunk it), The air density of the sprintex was much smoother, I actually lost 2 psi of boost, and obviously the AFR was way off. However when you slide the time bar (the line that shows the readings at any point in the graph) across the graph the Sprintex graph finished the run about 1 second quicker than the M45 graph! it's not like they where a whole lot off of eachother either at the start, SO THE CAR IS DEFFINATELY QUICKER!

Old 05-20-2011, 03:25 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the car - limp - what code? Rich or out of range? 10 is a bit fat- it sits on 10 from 4k to the limit? Does the AFR graph look a little choppy?
I know you can see what's going on with the data view software, just wondering what the ECU is thinking.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:13 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
No clue on the code number Steve, I haven't read my DTC's yet just looked at the logs. The only thing that I can find out of spec is the rich condition at 4000RPM, so I'm asuming that's it. Atleast the AFR line is pretty smooth across the board (except a few waves down low) so it shuld be easy to correct. I will be doing quite a bit of tuning tonight into tomorrow, and will post some logs. Just want to know if you guys would like to see the full log which is harder to read and understand (unless you know what you are looking at) or shuld I just post the log graphs like I did earlyer in the thread?

The rain has broken up here, for now so if the roads dry out I might be able to get some better runs, without the wheelspin.

I am going to get the gas tune sorted out with the 70mm pulley, use that tune to switch to E85, get it perfected, switch it back to gas, and swap the 70mm pulley out for the 64mm pulley and repeat the process.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:04 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
First off, DRY roads today!

Second, I cant figgure out how to post log data outside of the graphs. I really want to post all the collected data, rather than what I feel is relevant.

Third, whoever says the Sprintex is a POS that makes nothing but heat, well they are full of it. At 10psi of boost the car is noticeably faster, and the logs on my computer PROOVE it. Untuned and kicking into limp at the end of the run my post I/C temps went up a whoping 13 degrees, in + or - a few 55 degree ambient temps, using a DIFIC (which has gotten a bad rep around here for no good reason, other than it does have minor pressure drop) Oh and I was driving the car for about 45 minutes before the log was taken, so the opperating temp IS CORRECT!

Here is the untuned (yes I say un tuned, due to the horrible AFR's, and whatnot) datalog strait off the dataviewer S/W.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sprintex old TOBZ tune.pdf (459.6 KB, 291 views)
Old 05-20-2011, 11:50 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
OH if you look at page 7, there are some loggs posted, the 2nd log is with the M45, in about the same temp, with the same tune as today flashed into the ECU!

Old 05-21-2011, 04:46 AM
pauhana
Take the high road
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
First off, DRY roads today!

Second, I cant figgure out how to post log data outside of the graphs. I really want to post all the collected data, rather than what I feel is relevant.

Third, whoever says the Sprintex is a POS that makes nothing but heat, well they are full of it. At 10psi of boost the car is noticeably faster, and the logs on my computer PROOVE it. Untuned and kicking into limp at the end of the run my post I/C temps went up a whoping 13 degrees, in + or - a few 55 degree ambient temps, using a DIFIC (which has gotten a bad rep around here for no good reason, other than it does have minor pressure drop) Oh and I was driving the car for about 45 minutes before the log was taken, so the opperating temp IS CORRECT!

Here is the untuned (yes I say un tuned, due to the horrible AFR's, and whatnot) datalog strait off the dataviewer S/W.
Rick,
Your attachment file seems to be an invalid PDF and unreadable by Adobe Reader.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:19 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pauhana
Rick,
Your attachment file seems to be an invalid PDF and unreadable by Adobe Reader.
I am reading it fine with Adobe X... (newest update to adobe reader...)

Old 05-21-2011, 10:02 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Got my fuel curve to an acceptable level, now I need to start reworking Tobz's rediculas timing maps, and hopefully get it to stop going into LIMP.

I launched the car so hard on an onramp that my pitted windshield gave up! Now I have a crack shooting straight up in front of my face. The guy's at Schomp MINI where impressed.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:22 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear

WOW THIS THING IS FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's a lot of smilies.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Professor
5th Gear
I am excited for ya buddy .

Old 05-21-2011, 01:35 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Agarwaen
That's a lot of smilies.
Actually, that's a lot of eeks.

My guess is that it's "scary fast"....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 05-21-2011, 02:00 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
I think I just lost my cooling fan, both speeds are not working! I am going to check the relays now lets hope for the best.

The water temp is at 200 degrees, and no fan. It just started warming up on me gradualy then started throwing a code in FA for it? Any ideas? The coolent temp still wont go over 215 if I drive it hard so I guess thats good.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:42 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Ok the fan works off of a jump wire, so it is good.
The relays are geting power, also good.
every fuse I can find marked for a fan is still good.
Still NO workig fan! I have it set in the ECU to kick the fan on at 110 degrees WTF? I know, replace the relays, problem is I have never seen 2 seperate relays go bad in 15 minutes. Not saying its not the problem, and I am on my way to the local parts store to find some new ones.

I am wondering if it would be worth my time to hardwire a override switch to the high speed fan? It could come in handy if I go to the dragstrip.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:32 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Cooling problem fixed! I wired a bypass switch up, and wouldn't you know the fan started working all on its own again. Maby it was just having of those days.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:16 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cooling problem fixed! I wired a bypass switch up, and wouldn't you know the fan started working all on its own again. Maby it was just having of those days.

Way to stay with it . Perhaps the ghost of Lucas Electronics is still with us ?

Old 05-21-2011, 10:09 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
No clue what it was, but it shure had me poping out some bricks.

I will probably be up all night cleaning the car up, but geting the tune as far as I did today makes it all worth it.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:32 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
No clue what it was, but it shure had me poping out some bricks.

I will probably be up all night cleaning the car up, but geting the tune as far as I did today makes it all worth it.
Thats what makes it all worth it Keep up the good work and us posted as to your progress. Many are watching , you know who you are

Old 05-21-2011, 11:14 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
A gentleman and a scholar? Ithink not! I'm just the guy that spent WAY TOO MUCH time messing $#!T up in the garage as a kid. I have been acused of being too nice, telling the truth when one of my friends will get screwed in the end, and caring more about car's than women. All are true, well maby not the last one. Colledge NO, I prefer learning from experiance, and I've had enough bad ones to sink the Titanic. The car could of been a Lotus Exige (was planing on it, just wanted one more build), I'm glad it's not!

Oh forgot to mention, I contributed to the local economy today, the MAN got me because my stickers on my licance plates are up too high! Ya he just wanted to see the car! It's gonna cost me a whoping $25.00.

In other news: DAMN this New Belgium RANGER IPA is some good stuff, and man does it do the job!

Old 05-21-2011, 11:48 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
A gentleman and a scholar? Ithink not! I'm just the guy that spent WAY TOO MUCH time messing $#!T up in the garage as a kid. I have been acused of being too nice, telling the truth when one of my friends will get screwed in the end, and caring more about car's than women. All are true, well maby not the last one. Colledge NO, I prefer learning from experiance, and I've had enough bad ones to sink the Titanic. The car could of been a Lotus Exige (was planing on it, just wanted one more build), I'm glad it's not!

Oh forgot to mention, I contributed to the local economy today, the MAN got me because my stickers on my licance plates are up too high! Ya he just wanted to see the car! It's gonna cost me a whoping $25.00.

In other news: DAMN this New Belgium RANGER IPA is some good stuff, and man does it do the job!

Ah yes the red light in the mirror heart rate accelerator At least you don't have to worry as much about them asking you to pop your hood like they do down here from time to time . Of course with your setup not much looks different from stock which is an added bonus

Old 05-22-2011, 12:43 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
If you know where to look, and anything about MINI's you can see it. And the idle is a dead give away, good thing I have to shut it down when the red and blue is behind me. (It's too loud to hear if I dont)

Now moving on to the interior, thank god for flat black!

Quick Reply: R50/53 MY BUILD UP, continued...