R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MY BUILD UP, continued...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:51 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks man, NICE screen name, I love the old Starions, they are just too rare to find one in good condition anymore.

In other news, CRAPPY DAY!!! It started off good than I woke up again. My mind just feels like crap, and nomatter what I did today, I couldn't get some stuff out of my mind.

Even though the day sucked, it was productive!
To start things off, I went on a little drive up Squaw Pass in the MINI. I tell you what, it shows that that is what I am building the car for. In case anyone is interested the Sprintex with a 70mm pulley only puts out 8.5psi of boost at 12-13,000 feet! Dont get me wrong it is still way fast up there, just wishing for a little more, maby the 64mm will do it. My log graphs are a little less than stellar at high altitude, so some work is still needed. It will get there.

When that didn't cheer me up, I went to town puting the ZooK back togeather. It's all done, and I am back to having both of my play toys running again. The Harley carb works well so far, but I need to replace the jets, so I can keep running E85 in it. The distributer is also off by one tooth and I am out of room to adjust the timing. I will get that fixed in the morning, the jets need to wait until Tuesday at the earlyest, I can run regular gas until then.
I just got done in the garage, so I dont have pic's yet, and havent had time to find a way to post the new graphs, in a way they will be presentable, but I'm workin on it. Tomorrow I might take the ZooK out and climb a rock, in an attempt to brighten my mood, so I probably wont be online until late, but I will have pic's if I go.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:37 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 313 Likes on 236 Posts
Happy Memorial Day Richard,

Hope this day starts out well, and stays great.

Dunno 'bout you mate, but when you started posting I prayed that you'd make it back in country in one piece, and I haven't forgotten that.

Kind regards,

Charlie

Old 05-30-2011, 06:36 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Manny thanks Charlie.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Today's the day to say thanks to the you and the others who do what they do for this country...

Hope you are doing something enjoyable today...the three Bs maybe...Beer, BBQ and boosting a Mini (you know what I mean)

Last edited by Eddie07S; 05-30-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: edit
Old 05-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Ok, so I didn't see the end of these posts, but still hope it ended well.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Today's the day to say thanks to the you and the others who do what they do for this country...

Hope you are doing something enjoyable today...the three Bs maybe...Beer, BBQ and boosting a Mini (you know what I mean)
That's 4 Bs,

Thanks for all you have done, rich. Have a good one.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:59 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Thanks, everybody.

I did have a good day for the most part. Still kinda bummed out but, hey what can you do. Evedently I can fix anything BUT women.

So I gave the MINI the day off, and took the ZooK up to do some wheelin. Unfortunately there is still too much snow on my favorite trail, so it was closed. I tried going up another trail in the area, got a half a mile in, and the gate was still shut! So I ended up going back down the mountian and up Lefthand Canyon. I decided to try the new carb out going up the steep side of Fireman's Hill, (which is extreemely steep, quite rutted, and littered with loose rock.) it never once tried to stall out, and had plenty of extra power. Perfect! I didn't get many pic's (due to lack of company) and hardly stoped at all, I just wanted to drive and enjoy my day in the woods.

Anyway here they are,

The old carb setup, Such JUNK!

And the new Harley Davidson setup, it's a little twitchey with the throttle, but I can adjust.

My second attempted trail.

Found a parking space at the top of Fireman's. (notice how the hill just disapears, you have to drive up that, it will scare the $#!@ out of a new guy!)

Well that was my day.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:10 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Thanks, everybody.

I did have a good day for the most part. Still kinda bummed out but, hey what can you do. Evedently I can fix anything BUT women.
Stick to cars they are heaps easier than women

Those Mountains look really cool

Old 05-30-2011, 04:17 PM
old81
M6
Hey it was better than my day, spent from 10 to 4 cleaning my son's apartment. At least he is out of it.

Nice pictures, is that engine really a JD? Or did you fancy up the decals.

Btw, it was up in that area that the 89 Wrangler got messed up 2 times.

Then he flipped it up near Carabou. After #3 it was history.

Don

Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Its a SUZUKI 1.3, bored .020, decked.030, 10:1 flat top pistons, balanced and polished rods, LOTS of head work done by yours truely, and an Isky Torquer cam! Lots of Torque for a 1.3 but has no gutts for the highway.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:04 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Women... FIX???
The deal is...... Man logic is no way the same as women logic END. Our 40th is this year...I speak with much experience. It's kind of like buying a non returnable item that you really want but can never use or never sell, british cars come to mind......

BTW - I like the John Deere treatment, it's about as American as it gets. I'd like to cary the theme right to the exterior... maybe in a wide green stripe with "John Deere" and a model number from the 1950s.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:21 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Nah the paint is scratched off, and beaten up and out yearly, I keep it simple. This year I'm going flat desert tan, its been black for way too long.

Just got home from work, so there's really no time to go test my revisions to the tune in the MINI tonight. Cold start was better yesterday when I loaded it, but the ECU hasn't set adaptations yet, so who knows. Maby I will take it to work tomorrow.

Steve 40 years is a long time, CONGRATS! I just wish that I could find another one that I could see myself with for that long.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:23 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Well, I just sent a copy of my current tune to Mike and Jay, for a review just to make sure all is good. I think that I am ready to start making the switch to E85! I know taking pic's of my computer screen is not the best way to post my logs, but right now it's all I can do.

Here you go:

This is a 3rd gear pull in 80 degree heat.

And this is a "SOFT" launch drag pull through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and most of 4th!

The whole tune was redone, over and over by me, and now I am happy.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:55 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
The tune looks sopt on

when people see how easy the FA Bytetronik software is it might put some tuners out of work

Old 06-01-2011, 06:42 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
There will alway's be a market for tuners D-MAN. Even though BytetroniK and Full Access open the door to people who are willing to learn, it's not a process for everyone. It might however, start an upward trend in people who know what to do.

The car has way more power than it did right after the Sprintex install, judging by the seat of my pants, and will hopefully gain some more after I switch to burning corn.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:12 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
There will alway's be a market for tuners D-MAN. Even though BytetroniK and Full Access open the door to people who are willing to learn, it's not a process for everyone. It might however, start an upward trend in people who know what to do.

The car has way more power than it did right after the Sprintex install, judging by the seat of my pants, and will hopefully gain some more after I switch to burning corn.
Nice to see you sorting it all out . As for other's learning you are correct on that count as there is another tooner checking out your thread as we speak . Keep up the good work .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 06-02-2011, 04:44 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Today was a good day for me, I don't know exactly why because, I DIDN'T DO ****!

Didn't think about taking the car out, or changing anything. Didn't wonder what would happen if I would of done "this" instead of "that", and didn't stress the stuff still left to do by my deadline, and how much more it will all co$t.

I kinda put my mind at ease and just took the day OFF! I guess that every now and then you have to.

It also helped talking about some of the other stuff going on in my life with a good friend.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:20 PM
duvinclunk
5th Gear
Good job. Great read. Interested in the Sprintex now.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:19 AM
firehawk618
2nd Gear
Very very nice detailed build! Thank you.

Imagine when you get itchy for a bumpstick and head.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:33 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Thanks FireHawk, I'm sure that building the longblock is in the cars future, just dont know when. It's a lot of cash for all the parts, plus I would probably send it in to ENDYN for the build. Not that I am uncomfortable with doing it myself, it's just they have better equipment, and more experiance.

Anyhow I take it that the SPRINTEX thread was shut down today, I couldn't even find it with the search button. In all actuallity I am surprised that it lasted this long, and wasn't at all disapointed to see it go. That thread went from information, to an all out brawl, for no reason other than somebody has no faith in product improvement. I think its cool to have your own views on things, but its not always best to voice them, and then try to cover it with unrelated BS to the point that thread did. Hats off to EVERYONE who put up a legitimate fight, no matter who's side you where on, info got out and thats the purpose for technical forums. That's enough on that subject, I am glad to see it go, (I'm sure there will be another) Lets all move on.

I am going to be off the boards, and out of town until 20/JUNE/2011, so please hold any important questions until then. When I get back, it's time to start tuning for E85! I will also be scaling down the W/M system (Going from a 7gph nozzle to a 5gph or a 3gph post I/C WITH a 2gph pre S/C) and ordering some new Brisk silver plugs. I am getting a misfire in CYL#1 again, its not enough to trigger any codes, but its there. Once that is done its going to be rush time to get the paint and body done before my 01/AUGUST/2011 DEADLINE on the compleation of my project, for this year. YES August 1st, thats when I want to have everything done for the year, so all of you going to MINIS IN THE MOUNTAINS wont be disapointed.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:01 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Enjoy your break

Don't inject too much water/meth pre SC as the sprintex is different to the eaton. As the Sprintex is a twin screw compressor, and most liquids are non-compressible. Some liquid pre SC will assist the efficiency, but too much will cause the rotors to seize and then time for a new SC .

And get rid of the brisk plugs (I found they were crap) better off with iridium.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:21 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Well the army calls, I will talk with you all in a couple weeks.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:09 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 313 Likes on 236 Posts
What kind of training??

"Aaaaarrrrrmmmmmyyyyyy training sir!".

- Bill Murray

Peace, and thanks for defending the walls for us mate.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Cavalier Cooper
3rd Gear
Wow, this sounds like a crazy build. What kind of hp/torque are you seeing?

Old 06-17-2011, 07:48 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
E85 tuning starts Monday! Hopefully it will be 100% by Friday.

Quick Reply: R50/53 MY BUILD UP, continued...