R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MY BUILD UP, continued...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:52 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The tune is not yet perfected but, its good enough to make the run tomorrow.
Things are starting to look up again for me, new girl, new job offer, all thats realy left to do on the car this year is body and paint (I'm debating just using the gallon of flat black I have laying around here somewhere?), and tomorrow... Tomorrow My car becomes the YouTube spokesman for the Sprintex S/C! Thats right BoosTec is coming along on our club run, shooting some vid's and using them for advertisment!
The video's will be up on BoosTec's website, in their YouTube channel, probably in a week or two. (After editing and whatnot) Now if I could only land that EuroTuner cover...

Old 06-24-2011, 11:10 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 280 Likes on 206 Posts
Congrats, def. be looking for those videos.

I'm just hoping my s/c lasts long enough to get my funds together for this, I'm really curious what it would be like with my mod's.

On a side note, Innovative kit finally goes in next month so that I can use my F/A to it's potential, also it kills me that I can't get e85 close enough to me to use it.

Good luck tomorrow.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:51 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
The tune is not yet perfected but, its good enough to make the run tomorrow.
Things are starting to look up again for me, new girl, new job offer, all thats realy left to do on the car this year is body and paint (I'm debating just using the gallon of flat black I have laying around here somewhere?), and tomorrow... Tomorrow My car becomes the YouTube spokesman for the Sprintex S/C! Thats right BoosTec is coming along on our club run, shooting some vid's and using them for advertisment!
The video's will be up on BoosTec's website, in their YouTube channel, probably in a week or two. (After editing and whatnot) Now if I could only land that EuroTuner cover...
Hey Rick, glad to hear your "real" life is improving, job, girl, a big frendly dog???? = it's an important quality of life issue.....

I hope the somewhere you put the flat black is never found. Too many ricer, loud, fast wanabe's around here have flat black........

BE SURE TO POST THE VIDEO!

Old 06-25-2011, 04:48 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
The video's will be coming! They need to edit the hours of recordings, and add music and stuff. Gary from BoosTec said about a week until they are done.

The car ran pretty good all day, and man did I burn my fair share of corn! Even in the 90+ degree heat blower temps before the I/C where around 200 degrees, and droped 100 off of that with the DFIC. The power was good even at high altitude, and I now have the one pice to make the car faster without building the motor. I picked up the 64mm pulley so it will be going on once I feel the tune is completed.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:34 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Here is the first of a few video's from boostec! More are on the way, we shot LOT's of footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5_mdgfHQE

Hopefully the link works.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:49 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Here is the first of a few video's from boostec! More are on the way, we shot LOT's of footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5_mdgfHQE

Hopefully the link works.
That supercharger sounds great, and it's obviously working well....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Thanks Joe, Gary's camera's did do a good job of capturing the sound, but the only thing you cant really tell is how LOUD everything is. The exhaust tone isnt anything close to any other MINI I have ever heard, and I love that but, I have got to find a way to make the volume more livable. I have some ideas its just finding the time and someone who can bend some 1.5 foot loops without kinking the pipe.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Charleston│Mini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, amazing mini i saw that u said you have lots of footage, i get bored alot and im pretty good with sony vegas and video editing feel free to send any raw footage or maybe if you want a sweet intro i could help

Keep up the good work!

Old 06-26-2011, 12:17 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Sweet, BoosTec is handling theese but, if I ever get the lens cover fixd on my GoPro and find the mount, I will keep you in mind.

Just ran another log on my way back from the car wash, and with all the adaptives set, its looking good. The timing retard only kicked in at the start of the run, the AFR line was good it still has a couple waves, but they are real shallow, KNOCK noise is way down most of the time, and KNOCK voltage only jumped up to 1 volt a couple times. I am making a couple adjustments now, and will probably keep this tune loaded for a while to see what it will do. It's almost there, just a tweak here and there ought to do it.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:30 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Success! I havn't driven it yet but the unloaded dead spots in the RPM range are virtually gone!

My intake pressure maps where WAY OFF!!! I changed them a while back on a gas tune I did, and with the M45 they where about 12% higher than my actual recorded values with a 16% pulley! Aint altitude a B!#$#! Since then on my gas tunes, I ran 5% over my recorded values, and it was great. When I switched fuel types, I used a base map where theese two tables where never changed from stock! From the logs I took this morning, the actual recorded values where between 5-10% HIGHER than the stock maps! So with a little time, some paper work, and a calculator, I again corrected the tables for 5% over the recorded values, and BAM the dead spots are gone!

Now to take it out after I get something to eat, and see what it does.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:08 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Success! I havn't driven it yet but the unloaded dead spots in the RPM range are virtually gone!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:25 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Well I QUIT!... My day job that is.

I jumped on that other job opperitunity I mentioned earlyer, ya its the same dirty poo sucking job, and the new office is a little further away, but its a $3.00 an hour raise, and I will get to travel. I will be starting the new one soon.

Last night the couple tweaks I made to the tune resulted in more wheelspin, and still only kicked into LIMP once! Its getting faster and my tires are paying the price, my front two shed quite a bit of tread in the last week.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:18 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
The tune is looking great... The NITTO's not so much! I think I have gained more power in the last two days than last week.

The timing is good, KNOCK noise stays under 60 except for 2 little humps, now the AFR is off a little again.

I have tomorrow to straighten it out, I might even add a little timing back to it, until the programing in the ECU that you cant change starts taking timing away again.

The wheelspin in 1st is getting to be a handfull.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Eclipse11S
3rd Gear

That thing sounds awesome

Old 06-27-2011, 10:41 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
The video, and up coming video's are already out dated, the car is a whole new animal since Saturday! Thank you ByteTroniK and my brain!

Can I get another Pickeltini?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:40 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
The car is a monster! Looks like the spintex is the REAL DEAL!!!!!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Scottishdoc
2nd Gear
Reading this thread is better than watching a movie! haha, and it may have just convinced me to grab a sprintex in the near future :D

Old 06-29-2011, 01:23 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Glad you like it!

I am still having a few isues with the tune but it's geting sorted out. I just had to send an email to MYNES to se if they know whats going on.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Scottishdoc
2nd Gear
Just keep getting those street logs! If/when you get a different head you are just going to have a race car on your hands

Old 06-30-2011, 09:22 AM
CZ Mate
3rd Gear
Love the sound of your supercharger :-) you got a good looking R53

Old 06-30-2011, 04:59 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Scottishdoc
Just keep getting those street logs! If/when you get a different head you are just going to have a race car on your hands
A full motor build is in the plans for this car, it's probably a year or two out though. I'm thinking raised compression, a BIG cam, and head. For now I am just out to see what I can get out of the STOCK internals.

Now for the updates:

Fueling issue= SLOVED! I found the main part of my problem, on the initial setup I had WAY TOO MUCH water in my alcohol! My W/M mix was so strong that the ECU and me thought it was fuel. I refilled the system with mostly water, and it went "I'm gona blow a rod out my pan" lean! Not to mention a 7gph nozzle spraying straight water, was enough to cause some serious ignition problems. So I re-jetted the W/M system back to a 3gph nozzle, and have been adding a farmers spring crop worth of fuel. I think I found the limmits of ByteTroniK's main fuel maps capabilities, no matter how much I raised the values, it just wouldnt give it any more! So I had an idea to load up the global and just give it a good cranking to the rich side. It WORKED! I still have some adjusting to do, but it's finally getting enough. The ECU automaticly scales down the system for idle and low RPM, and all is working great. The W/M is doing an addiquate job with just water, but I'm still thinking of a 1gph nozzle pre S/C.

In other news:
My C/F hood is such a pile, that I almost want to abandon it and cut the vent work into the stock hood! I tried working on it last night, and with 2 hours worth of work, THE GRILLE STILL WONT FIT! I'm thinking is it really worth the work to loose a whoping 7 pounds? It's still up in the air, and I still have the templates from when I cut the carbon one.

Finally, BoosTec is still editing the video's from last week, but they are coming. I might Take the car to the drag strip next week for a little straight line fun aswell, just to see what it can do. I will be sure to suction my GoPro on.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Scottishdoc
2nd Gear
That 1gph nozzle pre-S/C may be a good idea once you get the W/M perfect steady. That C/F hood looks fantastic, but I wouldn't break my back over that mod, it would look great venting the OE hood and I'm sure it would be more forgiving. Good luck!

Old 07-01-2011, 05:10 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
The W/M system is already dialed in, that takes like 5 minutes. I've made up my mind, I am going to cut the same vents in the stock hood, but keep the CF one and slowly get it straightened out. I'm already cutting things real close to MITM, and I want it done already.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Scottishdoc
2nd Gear
Take pictures for sure! I definitely want to see a vented stock hood!

Old 07-03-2011, 10:13 AM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
I just got to butt dyno this monster and all is gotta say is HOLY ***** this thing is quick. As *****'s opened her up, I watch pre-intercooler temps stay in the low 200's at WOT. I said it before, and I'll say it again, congrats on building a beast D!cks, and thanks again for the ride.

Quick Reply: R50/53 MY BUILD UP, continued...