R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MY BUILD UP, continued...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:41 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It still needs more motor!

If you come up this way again, and have a half a day to kill, Ill take you up to the canyon's and really have some fun.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well...

With all the time you've spent tuning and re-tuning by the time you finish you should be an expert.

Have you dyno'ed it to see what you're getting for all your hard work?

LB

Old 07-03-2011, 11:39 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Not yet LB, waiting until September, when all is done and the temps start going down. I think that I will easily pass my 230HP goal with just bolt-ons and a good self tune.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Not yet LB, waiting until September, when all is done and the temps start going down. I think that I will easily pass my 230HP goal with just bolt-ons and a good self tune.
What still needs to be done? I saw you were thinking of adding a remote oil cooler set up to cool the oil in the Sprintex. Did you see the bearings froze up on the twin screw SC used on the Time Attack mini in the UK.

Don't worry about the temp's outside. The day my car pulled 350 it was 102 degrees outside. You seem to have learned a lot about the software your using street tuning imagine what you could do on the dyno now .

One last thing, I just saw your dig you added to your sig. You do get it that stuff like that just adds to the problem .

LB

Last edited by Longboard Mini; 07-03-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:43 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only one guy having a dig in this thread LB and that is you....

I wish you "guys" would leave all the BS stuff out of the threads there is no need to bring up stuff about a twin screw made by a different company from the other side of the planet that decided to seize after some pretty heavy track abuse. You are just trying to muddy the waters and take away from D!cks acheivements in this thread.

I think it is refreshing that he has gone about his build up HIS way and done stuff outsied the box - not just with the sprintex but with his other mods, and he has done it all himself

Keep up the good work ***** and don't listen to the haters cause they just going to hate no matter what

As for his sig it just goes to show that there are rules for some and then rules for others.... looks like money talks around this place

Old 07-03-2011, 03:29 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini

One last thing, I just saw your dig you added to your sig. You do get it that stuff like that just adds to the problem .

LB
LB, in all honestly, your posting in here causes more problems than his sig. Maybe its time you looked at own actions instead of pointing out others. Start a new thread if you wish to debate.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:51 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
OK GUYS, lets please not start an arguement here in my thread. LB if you dont like my sig consider it changed, I'm not really here to fight over such little BS.

Well I did it! I finally decided to get out the Dremmel, and cut the car into little pices! NO just kidding, its only a few holes in the hood. I am mostly done cutting out the main pices of the skin, but still have some framing to get rid of. (AZ you where right, most of it needs to stay) and get all the new little bits to fit. I will post new pic's tomorrow when all is done. But for now it's looking like another late night. (That only makes about 7 of them this week)

Off to HD to get more cut-off wheels, MINI uses some good steel!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AZblackOUT
LB, in all honestly, your posting in here causes more problems than his sig. Maybe its time you looked at own actions instead of pointing out others. Start a new thread if you wish to debate.
I will only post to you once becouse I "will not" ruin ****'s thread

AZ, before you open your maybe you should read more. ****'s and myself talk back and fourth respectfully in each others threads and others and have so for a long time.

****'s,

Thank you for changing your sig

LB

Old 07-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Ok i guess one more on this subject.

D-Man,

I think your way over sesitive here (see my post to AZ). I'm not here to take away anything he is doing. I personally have injoyed reading his thread and applaud him for doing it his way. I think I know a little bit about doing it different

I brought up the "other" twin screw because he talked about adding an oil cooler to his Sprintex. I assume to protect his investment which is what I would do If I was running the Sprintex. My Rotrex uses one for the very same reason.

So again, I am not trying in any way to "muddy the waters" as you said.

As for his sig do you really believe what you said? You really think he paid to get back in . That's the problem, people just make statements with no understanding of the "real story" or with any proof of the statments they make .

Anyway, if you choose to respond please do so via PM as I don't want to "muddy the waters" here or derail this thread .

LB

Originally Posted by D-MAN
Only one guy having a dig in this thread LB and that is you....

I wish you "guys" would leave all the BS stuff out of the threads there is no need to bring up stuff about a twin screw made by a different company from the other side of the planet that decided to seize after some pretty heavy track abuse. You are just trying to muddy the waters and take away from D!cks acheivements in this thread.

I think it is refreshing that he has gone about his build up HIS way and done stuff outsied the box - not just with the sprintex but with his other mods, and he has done it all himself

Keep up the good work ***** and don't listen to the haters cause they just going to hate no matter what

As for his sig it just goes to show that there are rules for some and then rules for others.... looks like money talks around this place

Old 07-03-2011, 11:31 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Well the hood is done! Thanks to my ability to make a good template, all the holes are in the exact spots as the CF hood, and it fits togeather tighter than OJ's glove. Didnt need to trim any plastic off of the firewall, didn't even noticably scratch the paint. Sitting in the garage, it looks ****, it kinda made the front end loose what cuteness it had left, and goes right along with that giant M7 wing. Now if I only broke down and bought my paint so I can get theese JCW bumpers out of the loft.

I will put pic's up in the morning, after I get all the dust off.

On another note LB is right, Honestly he is the reason that I didn't leave this forum last summer, and his criticism is always welcome in my threads. I cant fault the guy based solely on his aquaintances. Hey everybody needs someone to pick on right?

Old 07-04-2011, 10:04 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Picture time!

This is the last pic of the factory hood in one pice.

First thing I needed to do is make a template to copy my work on the CF hood almost exactly, So time to bust out the blue tape.

Then the super strong and stickey orange vinyl tape, just to make sure it stays togeather.

Cut the holes into the tape to use it as the template, it will get you 90% accurate if you do it right.

Then carefully line the whole sheet of tape onto the other hood. This is where it's really easy for things to go south.

Then start cutting the holes. Its best to under cut about 1/16th of an inch.

When the holes are cut test fit everything and trim as nessicary for the best fit. then drill the holes for the hardware.

And heres the finished product.

Heres an under hood shot, to show off the frame work trimming. If you look hard enough, you can see the one spot I needed to take the seal off of the firewall bucket.

Now thats done, I'm taking the day off from the car, git'n in the truck, and heading to the hills to do some shootin'.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:15 AM
old81
M6
Nicely done, what is the overall affect of the 2nd scoop and the NASA ducts?

Will look great when it is all painted pretty.

Don

Old 07-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Nice Job

I've wanted to add some vents on mine and just can't pull the trigger.

Do you have any close ups of the two rear vent?

LB

Old 07-04-2011, 04:31 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Don, I really havent driven it except to the car wash thismorning. (I went and threw some lead around, and got my new toy zeroed to my AR-15.) The DFIC exit scoop lets A LOT of air out of the engine bay, and the NACA's are plumbed right into the airbox, and the firewall bucket (which is still linked to the airbox. I pulled one of the coul vents and set my big exhaust fan about 10 feet in front of the car, and the NACA's get quite a bit of air through them and into the coul.

LB, I will take some closeup's of the ducts, and their beautiful carbon weave, the stainless hardware was extra (I had to go to ACE hardware and get the good stuff) You would think for the price APR would do something better than rivvits for mountimg! The NACA's are perfect thankfully because I'm not painting them, but like all fiberglass the exit scoop needs a little prep.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:08 PM
slickwilly8
Neutral
Very impressive build. You take DIY to a whole nother level my freind, nothing but respect for your can do attitude. Can't wait to see how she turns out!

Old 07-05-2011, 01:11 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
WOW, I was just cleaning up the garage, and found that I'm almost out of parts! Just a box of Wilwoods, and the JCW bumpers and justaCOOPER skirts is all thats left, not really too sure if thats a good or a bad thing. The body and paint can be done in a week, if I can find the cash after paying my tickets, but on the other hand I am going to need a new set of NT-01's before August. Dont know if I shuld start on the body, or wait and see what happens first.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Very nice work. Takes cojones grandes to cut into OEM sheet metal!

Now you just need to install lasers in your gauge array, and it will be perfect!

Old 07-05-2011, 02:17 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
I almost forgot, heres your close up's LB.

OOPS TOO CLOSE!

I also added my JCW grille.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:12 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Looks great, dood!

I wonder if those scoops you can get for the cowl vents would add any airflow on top of the NACA ducts....

C ya,
Dutch

Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
I almost forgot, heres your close up's LB.

OOPS TOO CLOSE!

I also added my JCW grille.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:34 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
In theory yes, the coul vent scoops would add some air. In my case though it wouldn't pay off. I am hammering out some details in my head for modifying my airbox to make better use of what I have.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:44 PM
old81
M6
Nice closeups, excellent work btw. I like the hardware you used to mount the NASA ducts.

I would say, get those new NT01 tires. You don't want to be driving on cords while your up at WP and I don't have a spare set of tires to loan out.

I'm going to mount a set of Kumho XS on my spare 17s if i get the time before I leave but I'm running out of time.

Might have to run the AutoX on old street tires.

Keep at it, paint and finish can take a back seat to driving and tuning.

Don

Old 07-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Scottishdoc
2nd Gear
Just a thought on the airbox, look at the DDMworks box, it looks like you could pretty easily modify it to get one of those NACA ducts right next to the filter. Any thought to venting those Wilwoods? You could run venting from the fogs I believe or modify the bumper a bit! All I can say is great job with the hood, this mini is looking is spot on!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Thanks DG!

So you are using then go get more air under the hood correct. They look great and in CF they are very cool. I've replaced a bunch a nuts and bolts under the hood with SS stuff. It's crazy how expensive they are.

I want to open the hood to let heat out. I've had an idea rolling around in my head (lots of room for that) but just haven't had the sack to pull the trigger. You might have inspired me to go for it.

LB

Old 07-05-2011, 09:27 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
I try my best LB. The NACA's are to bring cooler air in. Driver side drops right into the airbox, and the passanger side goes into the firewall bucket, I will more than likely seal this side off and cut some vents in the bucket to blow away the hot air coming off the header.

Last night before my little run in with the boys in blue, I was testing the new setup.
At a 65 degree ambient temps and a light cruise, the airbox temp was 70 degrees! Thats 5 over ambient, where as before it would be more like 20 degrees differance. Impressive, just wait. The blower temp was 170 degrees (PRE I/C) not too bad, but with the DIFIC exit scoop POST I/C temp was 77 degrees without a diverter for the inlet! 12 whole degrees above ambient! Looks like my fancy holes do their job to me.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:19 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Well if the weather holds out, I will have some 1/4 mile time slips to post late tonight.

Quick Reply: R50/53 MY BUILD UP, continued...