R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MY BUILD UP, continued...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bandemere is closed down tonight, because of the Junior Dragster finals! Timesilps are going to have to wait a week or two.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting.

When I had my DFIC with heat blanket it ran at... 12 degrees over ambient when cruising. I didn't have an exit scoop. I would imagine you are loosing a good bit by not running the diverter. With your skills you could bend one up easy. Do you have a good seal on top of the DFIC? If not I have some great foam I purchased to seal my big top mount. I could send you some free if you need it.

LB

Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
I try my best LB. The NACA's are to bring cooler air in. Driver side drops right into the airbox, and the passanger side goes into the firewall bucket, I will more than likely seal this side off and cut some vents in the bucket to blow away the hot air coming off the header.

Last night before my little run in with the boys in blue, I was testing the new setup.
At a 65 degree ambient temps and a light cruise, the airbox temp was 70 degrees! Thats 5 over ambient, where as before it would be more like 20 degrees differance. Impressive, just wait. The blower temp was 170 degrees (PRE I/C) not too bad, but with the DIFIC exit scoop POST I/C temp was 77 degrees without a diverter for the inlet! 12 whole degrees above ambient! Looks like my fancy holes do their job to me.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
I've been thinking up designs for a good diverter, top, botom, and sides, I may even borrow an idea from an old NAM'er (Dr. Phill G) and make the tubes a little more aerodynamic at the same time.

As of right now, I dont have any kind of seal on it. With seeing how much air actually bypasses the core on my current setup, I might want to grt to work on the issue.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Excellent job on the bonnet!

Old 07-07-2011, 12:48 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Todays task is a little secret. I got it all planed out last night after some more thinking, measuring, more thinking, some planing, then more thinking, and ended the night with some more measuring. I woke up and thought, "Well its all measured, I have most of the stuff, why not build this thing?" So I am in the middle of producing another totaly custom DG part, and all is going really well, but you cant see it until its done! I am glad I saved some parts off that old Honda after all!

Old 07-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Longboard110
5th Gear
only thing your plan is missing is beer. Planning, measuring and BEER. Beer always helps me think......clearer.........I think.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:54 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Nope no beer last night LB110, trying to quit that stuff again.

Well my special part is done, it's amasing what you can do with some scrap aluminum and an old carbonfiber hood. Check out the pic's.

A little blurry, but here's the whole engine bay.

The airbox top a little closer up.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:17 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 280 Likes on 206 Posts
SWEET.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:42 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
I figgured out how to add more fuel! I finally got it, I lowered the VE COMPENSATION fuel map by just a little, and walla, it is finally geting enough. Not saying that where it was, was really bad for E85, I just wanted it a little richer for safety's sake.

The new airbox cover lowered the temps by a couple degrees, and gave me a place to finally stick my Sprintex badge that dont look out of place. It really didnt cut down on the S/C noise which is good, and I have enough CF left to do some other things that have been cooking up in this brain of mine. Now if I could only get the box as a whole to seal enough to show an increase in pre S/C pressure.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:47 PM
curv872
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loving your build...with that extra CF you could whip up an Air Plate Diverter

Old 07-08-2011, 04:01 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
For the DFIC diverter I am going to sculpt some foam, and lay some fiberglass. I dont think I have a big enough straight pice of CF to make a bumper diverter, I might just need to get one from Randy and the crew at M7.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:24 PM
03miniac
3rd Gear
bonnet intake

Want to say have been enjoying your build.

Had thoughts of bonnet intake for some time now. Worried about the design with direct elements directed on top filter. Any thoughts?

Old 07-08-2011, 05:45 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Having a scoop sit on top of the filter could cause some problems, letting in water is the big one. If the scoop sits directly on top of the filter there is no stoping water ingestion. Mine actually sits beside the filter, and there is just enough room to cap the scoop if I need to.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:31 PM
03miniac
3rd Gear
Having installed the Craven brand keeps me at ease checking my sock easily for most everything. Mainly holes.. .

Old 07-09-2011, 01:33 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Well I'm off for another wonderful weekend in the army. Hopefully the weather cooperates I am taking the car down. Most of the people who went to Iraq with us last year havent got to see it yet, so it will be interesting to see what they say. Hopefully the gaurds at the gate dont give me too much crap, I can just see geting turned around for driving a racecar.

If I do any posting it will be from my BlackBerry, and that's been hit and miss lately.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:31 PM
5zero4
4th Gear
Nice work! very clean. I'd have mounted the 2 scoops from behind though so it looks a bit less "bolted on". Just my personal taste.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Form follows function. You could mount them on the underside of the hood but, either the bolts will still come up through or, you would need some really strong glue. You would also need to be more precice with the hole cutting to make it look right. Personally I like the look the way it is best. Its like the big wing out back, its not there to be pretty its there to do a job, and that to me makes it beautiful.

Havent done much of anything the last few days, thats why I havent been posting. I did mount the little diverter that mounts to the back of the DFIC for the exit scoop (there are ways to make it better and I will find them!) And I have also been letting the wheels turn on making a proper diverter for the front of the I/C, along with a few other crazy ideas in general.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:28 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
From what I read after your VE compensation post, that makes sense. I know you have some good time and experience tuning, but I thought this post would help a little on that topic: http://forums.haltech.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8716. Here is another forum post where the guy wanted to create a tuning spreadsheet: http://forums.ds-map.net/tuning/ve-t...b92feeeb5be055. There are a few formulas included, which might help in taking out the guesswork on where you need to adjust your mappings in the ECU.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:35 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Short notice I know but, if you are in the Denver area tonight, Bandemere is OPEN. I am headed down there in about half an hour, going early to try and get a run or two in before the rain. If you want to come down and have some fun I will see you there.

If not, I will post pics of the time slips and everything.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Rained out after one crappy run!

Tech made me jump in line right after inspection, so the car was still heatsoaked badly. The wheelspin in first gear was so bad that I evedently lifted for a quick second off the line acording to the log. My tune had some issues, I corrected it a little too much and it was a little richer than I wanted, and I brought the timing up a little too far. Outside of that, it was great.

Oh, I actually gained weight since October! The car now weighs 2660, with me in it a prettymuch full tank of gas, and a full 3 gallons in the W/M tank. (It was actually mostly ICE in the W/M!)

First up: Post I/C temp= YUCK!

Front axle weight

Rear axle weight

The whole car on the scale, I want ALUMINUM body panels! (Hood, Hatch, Doors, Fenders... TOO BAD NOBODY MAKES THEM!)

The data log, its a little blury, check out the temp (yellow) line! W/M WORKS! Boost was only 11.1 psi, and I will fix the knock isues (pink line) The big dips in the (BLUE) line show the wheelspin.

It all amounted to this.

A little closer. The guy in the right lane was a '96 Mustang GT!

I wish I could of made more runs, not bad though if you convert the time to sea level it's a 13 second car with STOCK head and internals!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:49 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rick, you done good............. ^^^

Old 07-15-2011, 01:03 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Thanks Steve, I compared timeslips to Paul Webster's last night and we where only about a half second off on our 60' times! He is also running a 64mm pulley, cam, who knows what all else in a lighter car. He really picked up on the big end of the track though, I might need to fix that.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:12 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Well now I went and done it. My brakes have finally been heated and glased over enough times that stoping is getting more and more difficult. So as it stands now on Sunday the Wilwoods are making their way out of the box and behind my wheels. Hopefully the bleeding nightmares that I have heard about dont hold true.
Since the car will be on stands, and I have the extra time, I might as well add a little more power and switch out the S/C pulleys.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Well now I went and done it. My brakes have finally been heated and glased over enough times that stoping is getting more and more difficult. So as it stands now on Sunday the Wilwoods are making their way out of the box and behind my wheels. Hopefully the bleeding nightmares that I have heard about dont hold true.
Since the car will be on stands, and I have the extra time, I might as well add a little more power and switch out the S/C pulleys.
Done the Wilwoods. No nightmare. Just need to plug the line so the fluid doesn't drain out. You know the nozzle that screws onto the tube of silicon glue and how that bit of silicon hardens in it and comes out as a little dunce cone? That bit of hardened silicon makes a perfect plug for doing just that. Simple and effective. If you don't and you drain the ABS unit, everything I have read says that is a bear to bleed

Old 07-15-2011, 07:15 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Thats what all I gathered out of it too. Good trick with your improvised plug. I shuldnt have much of a problem with it.

Quick Reply: R50/53 MY BUILD UP, continued...