R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 More mini blues!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 11:11 AM
miniblues
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
....after have replaced a supercharger, a rearhatch latch, an air compressor, a defective runflat and now hearing that my defective seat frames are finally in at the dealer after a three week wait (must have come on a boat from Britain)....I get ready to drive out to the mini dealership for the one day fix on the new seat frames...well I notice the rattle from the sunroof is getting worse and worse, rattle goes away if I open the sunroof or with it closed I press hard on the plastic case with the opener in it. fortunately while at the dealer for the seat fix, they discover the parts inside the case to the sunroof have worked loose and need replacement. They fixed both the seats and sunroof in a day...but I'm now wondering about the build quality...is everthing in the interior made out of plastic....after looking inside the seats and seeing plastic parts, a little discouraging...now have 7K miles and seems something is breaking every 1K miles...was an early build mini or it could just be the infamous lemon...but first year models are always risky....I do have a friend that has a new Z and he is having nick pick problems as well....I just hope the drive train and transmission hold up....a little worried now about having a Chrysler engine now and making it to 50K......he did let me drive his Z and wow, that baby is fast!...but not as much fun as the mini in my opinion....

Old 10-04-2002, 11:37 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My sunroof switch was defective... about a month after I got my MINI, the switch stopped working when pushed forward (and wouldn't close the sunroof completely). I had to use the key in the door lock to close it.

My Service dept was able to replace it (under warranty) with one they had in stock.

I don't think that I caused the problem, but I DO recommend that you be gentle with the sunroof switch.