R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 New R53 - What mods are a must?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011 | 02:55 PM
Skippman
|
2nd Gear
New R53 - What mods are a must?

I just took delivery on a R53 and am looking to do some mods other than just my planned stereo replacement. What mods do people consider essential? For example there's no Homelink option and the cup holders are awful. What have people done about this?

Old 07-01-2011 | 03:37 PM
36rodder
3rd Gear
Homelink

Buy a use Homelink like this one on eBay, make sure its a rolling code unit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Homel...s#ht_540wt_939
Easy to install in the space in front of the clock. Only wiring is power (you can tap into the clock power) and ground.

Old 07-01-2011 | 04:53 PM
Floor-is
2nd Gear
The cupholders are perfect when you are European. I'd say you throw out the run flats, get some Nitto Neo Gen's on, or Toyo T-1R/R1R. Replace the sway bars, front and back.

Clean the seats, clean the interior-filter, use the vacuum and get a boot-box to put some stuff in

Oh and: go drive!

Old 07-01-2011 | 05:25 PM
Skippman
|
2nd Gear
Do you happen to know what that thing on the right side of the sunroof control is? The thing that looks like a vent? If it's just a place holder I might try and fit a mic for my Bluetooth kit there. But thanks for the tip on the homelink! I didn't know they came like that and was considering a gentex replacement mirror.

Old 07-01-2011 | 05:39 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Required mods include glove box organizer; aux-in; shelf in front of left knee; one of the auto-up modules; lite-n-site; engine damper (I prefer the VIP); grill badge holder; non-run-flats if not already installed. Beyond that consider stubby antenna; CAI; Whalen shift ****; powerflex LCA bushings.

Old 07-01-2011 | 06:03 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Skippman
Do you happen to know what that thing on the right side of the sunroof control is? The thing that looks like a vent? If it's just a place holder I might try and fit a mic for my Bluetooth kit there. But thanks for the tip on the homelink! I didn't know they came like that and was considering a gentex replacement mirror.
That "vent" is where the BT mic would go, if you had BT. If/when you add a mic up there, you can easily switch places with the sunroof switch to get the mic closer to you.

The following users liked this post:
freddy garcia (02-17-2021)
Old 07-01-2011 | 06:17 PM
Skippman
|
2nd Gear
Ok, I'll bite. What the hecks a "lite-n-site"?

I'm assuming the engine damper is that shock looking thing that connects to the block?

As for the mic placement, thanks guys! That's kind of what I figured but didn't know if there was a sensor of some kind in there for the temp or something.

Old 07-01-2011 | 06:50 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
LightInSight

With an R53 (first gen), there's no "homelink" function, but if all you want to do is open a garage door, that was an option. There's an optional rearview mirror with three programmable buttons. All of the wiring is there whether or not you originally got the option, so all you have to do is remove your mirror and replace it with the one with the buttons. I'm not sure if it's "rolling code", though, since my garage door opener is from 1997.

Old 07-01-2011 | 07:25 PM
Carmichael
4th Gear
If you plan on autocrossing the car, occasionally, or every weekend, LCA bushings, camber plates, sticky summer tires, and a 22mm rear swaybar are an absolute necessity. If you don't have an LSD, the swaybar does a great job of keeping bodyroll at a minimum, which helps the inside front wheel from spinning on corner exit.

I was able to wail on a completely stripped out (no A/C even) EK Civic Type-R replica at the autocrosses with those additions to the car. Most of the guys I run with think I've spent thousands on my base model S suspension, but nope, it's mostly stock. >:3

Old 07-02-2011 | 06:10 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Must have mods...
Depends on what you are wanting...
Power/performance....a pulley, cai, and a bigger swaybar....
Comfort convience...many want an armrest, i-phone/pod adaptor on the radio (if you are that type of person), light-n-sight (to see traffic lights when you are close if you are kinda tall), downtubube pad (makes turns/long trips better if you rest your leg against it), perhaps a zippy shade if you have a sunroof and live in a hot/sunny area.....

The following users liked this post:
freddy garcia (02-17-2021)
Old 07-02-2011 | 06:56 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
But the best and most needed must have
...the most, best gen1 addon....
The auto up window controler...
was pioneered by ian....taken over in the past couple years by Fes auto...now on v6 or 7 I think....and some add garage door opening......but to avoid the programming hassel, I just keep the remote inthe car....
for extra storage, get the euro parcel shelf....replaces the drivers knee bolster...does not take away space, just adds it....good spot for your phone, wallet, etc....

Old 07-02-2011 | 10:25 AM
bigal99
1st Gear
cai for sure, i can't afford the pulley but that should be on your list. my r53 went from chili red with white wheels and white roof to a carbon fiber roof, silver wheels, black stripes. there are so many mods for the r53. pulley and cai will give a you a good size gain in hp.

Old 07-02-2011 | 04:35 PM
Skippman
|
2nd Gear
Ok. Here's a list of the mods I've been told were already done to the vehicle.

15% reduction pully for the supercharger.
Mini Madness CAI
Mini Madness Suspension
Replacement Polyurethane Bushings on the suspension
Mini Madness STDs
Quicksilver SuperSports Exhaust - Oval Tips

It's been programmed somehow per the previous owner although how it was done I have no idea. I don't know if it was FlashPaq'd or something. I don't even really know what tuners are available for the Mini and to be honest I'm concerned about making further performance changes until I figure this part out.

I also have a set of Koeing wheels and some tires (not sure on make) that came with it in addition to the stocks w/ runflats. I'm hoping that changing these out will dampen the rather jarring ride of the Mini Madness suspension. I may have to replace the factory struts at some point. I've heard good things about the Koni FSD's.

Old 07-03-2011 | 11:14 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Swap out the runflars before spending $$ on a suspension upgrade....
You will be amazed the differance the better tires (both lighter, more compliant, and grippy) make on the ride...the struts help if you want more, but are better suited to a daily driver than a track car.....
if the car has a mini madness flash, a few folks have found it too be a bit lean....so I would be careful doing anything that adds hp or increases airflow....but with an exaust+pulley already installed, not much more too do unless you want a header or cam....then a custom tune is best.

Old 07-03-2011 | 12:49 PM
Skippman
|
2nd Gear
I plan on actually using this as a daily driver. My SCCA days are behind me and I really don't want to toss a roll cage in this thing.

I'm not sure what Flash was done to it honestly. Is there a way to find out? Can an OBDII reader give any clues?

And yeah, the runflats have to be among the most unforgiving tires I've ever ridden on. And I drive a Jeep w/ load D rated 35" tires.

Old 07-06-2011 | 10:07 PM
ericfreeman
3rd Gear
Be sure your low speed fan is working on the radiator: this is critical to getting good life out of your cooling system. Also, make sure that when the low speed fan kicks on, the power steering fan turns on as well.

Eric

Old 07-06-2011 | 11:52 PM
MI_MINI
1st Gear
Get a sway bar. You'll love the change!

Motor On!
Chris

Old 07-26-2011 | 09:07 AM
Xtrackdog
2nd Gear
Big Yes for the Auto-Up Window Controller

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
But the best and most needed must have
...the most, best gen1 addon....
The auto up window controler...
was pioneered by ian....taken over in the past couple years by Fes auto...now on v6 or 7 I think....and some add garage door opening......but to avoid the programming hassel, I just keep the remote inthe car....
for extra storage, get the euro parcel shelf....replaces the drivers knee bolster...does not take away space, just adds it....good spot for your phone, wallet, etc....

Big Yes for the Auto-Up Window Controller. I chose the single click up programming.

Also consider the GromAudio iPod and Bluetooth unit which plugs directly to the Amp in the rear.

Old 07-26-2011 | 06:39 PM
mrjasey
3rd Gear
if u are going to do performance, best bang for the buck IMO are pulley and rear sway bar.

comfort-wise, i love my zippee shades since i have the sunroof model.

Old 07-26-2011 | 06:49 PM
WeaverNH
2nd Gear
I changed out my run flats to Eagle GTs and it makes a world of difference. I also got just a plain K&N filter that fit the OEM air intake box. Also a world of difference. I changed my gearbox lube to Royal Purple. You may want to mess around with the brakes, but the little buggers stop so well anyway. Take it easy and do what you want to make the car all yours and have fun driving.
WeaverNH

Old 07-27-2011 | 04:39 AM
Skippman
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ericfreeman
Be sure your low speed fan is working on the radiator: this is critical to getting good life out of your cooling system. Also, make sure that when the low speed fan kicks on, the power steering fan turns on as well.

Eric
Well, thanks to the incident all of that has been replaced with brand new parts. So I have a new fan, power steering fan, radiator, and condenser.

I need to look into the sway bars for sure. Changing out my tires from the run-flats to the Dunlop DZ101's the original owner had made a big difference . I'm debating on going to the Continental ExtremeContact DWS's. They seem to get excellent reviews and these Dunlops make almost as much road noise as the Goodyear Duratrac's on my Jeep (35" off road tires).

I'm defiantly going to be getting the one touch window up module. I'm assuming it works the reverse of the remote windows down on the key fob? I don't understand why something like that was included in the design.

As for the Bluetooth, etc. Well... I'm gutting out the Boost radio anyway and replacing it with a Kenwood KIV-BT901 headunit as part of a multistage audio upgrade. The Kenwood supports Bluetooth and iPhone control including Pandora so that should take care of all that.

Any thoughts on the Mini Cupholder?

Old 07-27-2011 | 01:13 PM
wkp1219
3rd Gear
all the mods mentioned above are great. the 15% pulley made a big difference for me and there is a shop nearby that does the work for 1 hour labor ($90). I installed a Miltek exhaust which is awesome and and CAI along with MSD coil and wires. I just got my tune from RMW which I am very eager to download and see the difference.
I'm in the process of getting the rear fog light set up and installing a toggle switch where the missing/blank spot is in the toggle panel. for some reason that realy annoys me.
Cup holder? mine came with the one that is mounted to the upright tube on the side of the radio/control center area. Ive seen them on e-bay for $40+- but they really work well and are at a good height.

Old 08-11-2011 | 08:25 AM
wkp1219
3rd Gear
anyone have advice on changing out the thermostat to a 180 degree? I read it helps the engine run a bit cooler or at least cool down faster after a hard drive?????

Old 08-11-2011 | 11:44 AM
minirooferS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 36rodder
Buy a use Homelink like this one on eBay, make sure its a rolling code unit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Homel...s#ht_540wt_939
Easy to install in the space in front of the clock. Only wiring is power (you can tap into the clock power) and ground.

Is that a clock behind the sunroof switch? Never seen that

Old 08-11-2011 | 06:02 PM
36rodder
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by minirooferS
Is that a clock behind the sunroof switch? Never seen that
Yes that's where the factiory clock is on an '02 MCS. Where is it on your '06?

Quick Reply: R50/53 New R53 - What mods are a must?