R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 What went wrong???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:05 PM
fifty9singlecab
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What went wrong???

Ok today I was driving down the road in my 02 MCS at about 35 to 45 mph and it said 42 miles to empty and I ran out of gas. After it died and I put gas back into it and then my battery light came on and I have no power steering. My belt is brand new and it's not slipping at all. Supercharger still pulls hard, No check engine light, Not running hot, etc. What happened when I ran out of gas? Before this incident all was great. Anyone know anything? Thanks in advance... Ok I read another post and it seems it could be a dirty battery post, And possibly a power steering pump. Why does this happen at the same time? Seems it happens more than just a freak thing. Also I read that [SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]Common Symptoms of a Faulty Unit:
These units fail by making the motor run all the time. What are they talking about? What motor runs all the time?
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Last edited by fifty9singlecab; 07-15-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:05 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do have the alt checked. The power steering has a singnal wire direct to the alt so that when the alt is not working then the PS pump shuts down .
That would be my first check. Also, being it's an '02, it could be a failed pump.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:42 AM
hexon
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fifty9singlecab
Ok today I was driving down the road in my 02 MCS at about 35 to 45 mph and it said 42 miles to empty and I ran out of gas. After it died and I put gas back into it and then my battery light came on and I have no power steering. My belt is brand new and it's not slipping at all. Supercharger still pulls hard, No check engine light, Not running hot, etc. What happened when I ran out of gas? Before this incident all was great. Anyone know anything? Thanks in advance... Ok I read another post and it seems it could be a dirty battery post, And possibly a power steering pump. Why does this happen at the same time? Seems it happens more than just a freak thing. Also I read that Common Symptoms of a Faulty Unit:
These units fail by making the motor run all the time. What are they talking about? What motor runs all the time?
One of the ways that the power steering pump on first gen's fail is that even when you turn off the car the power steering pump/motor will fail to turn off. So that whining your power steering makes when you turn your wheel will continue even though your car is off. I doubt this is the case with your MINI, however, sense you have no power steering at all.

There's one 100A fuse in the engine bay and another fuse in your driver's side footwell that may be worth checking out. I can't remember which it is but it's either 39, 40 or 41.