R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 New Aux Input DIY Tutorial! (R50 - The easy way)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 01:02 PM
ryangschultz
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Aux Input DIY Tutorial! (R50 - The easy way)

So I bought a cable to install in my 2004 MC and wasn't 100$ sure how to get started...well I searched and found a lot of different ways of doing it, so I'm going to kind of show compiled stuff that worked for me, pics included!

Note: You do NOT have to remove the whole stereo unit! This way is a lot faster no doubt, and less work.

I'm going to make this very easy:

1. Disassemble glove compartment (do you ever even keep gloves in there?) You will need a hex driver, I always guess the size so do that Don't forget to carefully remove the small light as well by popping it out with a flathead from the right side

2. Pop open valence panel underneath steering wheel, don't be afraid you'll break it. It takes some force, but grab it from the part closest to the bottom of the steering wheel and pull down. If you do break it, lay off the roids.

3. Your hands should now be able to touch behind the stereo if reaching from left and right, but don't do that too long because it's weird to hold your own hand, so now feed the cable (part that will plug into the back of the stero) from the right to your left behind the stereo

4. Now feel right behind the volume **** and you will feel where the cable is supposed to plug in. With the little clip on top of the cable, plug it in and test it to make sure it works

5. Now, using the provided faceplate as a template, use a sharpie to dot where the holes will be drilled to install the panel

6. Drill the holes where you want in the glove box (2mm for screws and 10mm for center hole) ...if you don't have metric drill bits - divide an duse dummy chart

http://bobmay.astronomy.net/misc/drillchart.htm

7. Now pop the cable in, screw on the little circular piece to secure it, reassemble the glovebox, and pop the valence under the steering wheel back into place if you didn't break it. (you won't)

8. Good job.

The nice thing to is you don't have to install this in the glovebox, but I wanted to so I can hide the cable somewhat.

Attached Thumbnails New Aux Input DIY Tutorial! (R50 - The easy way)-photo-2.jpg   New Aux Input DIY Tutorial! (R50 - The easy way)-photo-4.jpg   New Aux Input DIY Tutorial! (R50 - The easy way)-photo-3.jpg  
Old 07-16-2011, 01:05 PM
ryangschultz
2nd Gear
Oh and make sure the tube in connected that allows air to go into your glovebox...forgot that tidbit.

Fully installed (it was in the earlier pic too but that's because I didn't know I was going to make a tutorial to begin with haha):

It's easy to hide the aux cable too after you plug in:

Attached Thumbnails New Aux Input DIY Tutorial! (R50 - The easy way)-photo-1.jpg   New Aux Input DIY Tutorial! (R50 - The easy way)-photo-5.jpg  
Old 07-16-2011, 02:56 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice job! To avoid drilling anything, I just got a 6ft (probably too long.) stereo cable and snaked it down below the toggle switches, hidden under the change tray, then tucked in the same place as yours above, and all the way underneath the shift boot cover area. I have about 6" of slack that is coming out between the change thing underneath the handbrake and the seat heater buttons. Almost invisible and I can rest my iPod under the handbrake when I'm driving

Old 07-16-2011, 07:11 PM
ryangschultz
2nd Gear
Ah very nice. I thought about doing something like that, but still drilling a hole in one of the empty holes next to the window switches. I really like the clean look of the little aux faceplate though, and that it's hidden. It looks OEM!

Old 07-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Sebax
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks very clean. Nice job!
Has anybody done anything for power though? Once you hide the Aux input in the glove box how do you charge the iPod?

Old 07-17-2011, 02:55 PM
ryangschultz
2nd Gear
Thanks! And yes I simply use a cigarette lighter input that has USB ports on it (you just use your normal ipod charger cable), about $15, more or less. You can get a cable unit that hardwires in, but that will run you over $100 and it will be more work.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:40 PM
hexon
2nd Gear
A simpler solution would be to pull down the hinged dash piece below the steering wheel. There are no bolts to unscrew and you're already on the side where you need to plug in the AUX cable. However, if you want to install the faceplate in the glove box, your way is definitely the way to go.

Last edited by hexon; 07-18-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:32 AM
ryangschultz
2nd Gear
That's very true if you don't want it installed in the glove box, good thinking!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:30 AM
hexon
2nd Gear
And I like the "Preshrunk" sticker. Very witty and I haven't seen that one before.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:54 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sebax
It looks very clean. Nice job!
Has anybody done anything for power though? Once you hide the Aux input in the glove box how do you charge the iPod?
Before I got the AUX input I had a Monster FM transmitter that plugs into the cigarette lighter and charges the iPod. I have the whole assembly tucked in behind the toggle switches with just the charge cable peeking out. It's not a perfect system, but if I need to charge the iPod I just leave it plugged in there for awhile. I haven't tested to see if I can plug that in but play the audio through AUX.. not sure if the iPod can play audio out through the stereo cable when the "docking" cable is plugged in as well. I will test that today.

Usually I remember to have it charged before I leave the house

Old 07-18-2011, 10:49 AM
ryangschultz
2nd Gear
I believe it does work, I do it all the time but mine is just a charging cable.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:55 AM
ryangschultz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hexon
And I like the "Preshrunk" sticker. Very witty and I haven't seen that one before.
Haha thanks, I usually see the "actual size" sticker but I like mine better