R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 stuttering start and stop..gears?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011 | 12:49 AM
zudecke
|
1st Gear
stuttering start and stop..gears?

Hi all,

New here. Had my otherwise perfect and beloved mini cooper 2002 automatic for just over one year now, with a total of 40k miles on the clock.

As a bit of background, I've been experiencing some electrical / battery / starter issues for the past couple months, noticing things like occasional non start and first ignition and. Sometimes need to turn key twice to start.

Now whether the problem im about to explain is related to this seemingly electric problem, I'm not sure... The other day I noticed my car, although starting ok, was juddering from take off and braking to stop.

I.e. from 0-10mph and like wise from braking to this speed, the car sort of judders /stutters / pulls,but seems relatively ok when going +10mph..

Checked engine and found coolant was completely empty. Im not sure if the loss of coolant is the result or cause of the other issues explained?

If I did have a coolant leak that I was unaware of (no warning light) , could that have been the cause of this stuttering take off and stopping issue?

I appreciate any feedback and help guys!

PS its a UK Mini

Z

Old 07-22-2011 | 03:34 AM
zudecke
|
1st Gear
Guys,

I've spoken to the garage today as the car has been there overnight and he said everything in the diagnostic tests came up ok, however, manual tests have indicated that I need a new battery. He reckons that the the flat battery was causing my stuttering transmission problems..

Does that sound plausible to you guys?

Regards,

Z

Old 07-22-2011 | 06:23 AM
zudecke
|
1st Gear
Anyone?

Old 07-22-2011 | 11:35 AM
zudecke
|
1st Gear
guys,

after my initial jubiliation after hearing back from the mechanics who said the battery has fixed my problem... I went to collect the car, test drove it with the mechanic and in turn, his manager. The problem still persists.

It's definitely improved since my initial post.. perhaps the battery has improved it?

The manager said that the DST (diagnostic test thing) indicated no faults besides the battery and that everything else is working ok. I explained to him that the problem persists, but he said there's nothing he can do, and offered me about 1.5 hr to to change spark plugs, oil levels etc.

Can anyone else comment?

Might it be a spark plug issue?

The battery has solved me ignition problem at least.. So the £215 i spent wasn't all a waste...

Really appreciate any help.. Someone must have experienced a similar jerking snesation in their Auto Mini... Someone.. Somewhere..?

Old 07-22-2011 | 11:50 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
While the mileage is low, I'm inclined to suspect it could be as simple as spark plugs, ignition leads, or coil. Spark plugs are cheap, easy, and if it fails to solve the issue, chalk it up to preventative maintenance. I would have a look at the coil, where the ignition leads connect. These cars are subject to corroding there, and this is something that is more age related, than mileage. The recommended fix is to install replacement coil and leads. Normally one would clean, but the material used for the contacts makes cleaning a loosing battle over time.

Old 07-22-2011 | 12:02 PM
zudecke
|
1st Gear
Okay, so you recommend spark plugs and replacement coil and new ignition leads?

What makes you think I need new ignition leads?... as the car ignites perfectly with the new battery installed...

Old 07-22-2011 | 12:10 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Juttering from a start and to a stop.....
Sounds like the tranny....the dreaded CVT.....
other stuff might be related to the starting issue....
But the shaking imo is mostlikly the transmission....the start/no start is a red herring...

Old 07-22-2011 | 12:12 PM
zudecke
|
1st Gear
I was dreading the reply above :(..

At only 40k miles? That would be a real, real shame!

So the sensation of my gearbox seemingly not able to find and agree on gear shifts is reminiscent of the CVT failure curse? Because I trawled the various threads and didn't find a lot of the descriptions that matched mine...?

Old 07-22-2011 | 12:27 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Not an expert by any means....
But shuddering both when accelerating and stopping (when the motor is coasting) would point to drivetrain issues....if the motor was cutting out when declerating, I doubt you would feel much. CVT trannys seem too fail in many ways...maybe just getting a shop to reset the adapatations or getting fresh software might help....
Fresh fluid would 100% be a good idea...should have been done a few times by now...and will give you an idea if bits of the metal belt is in the tranny case...if so...too late.
Just a free opinion....the other stuff was likely needed just from age/wear, so no harm...
You might want to find a mini centric shop....they might have some useful insight.

Old 07-22-2011 | 12:33 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by zudecke
guys,

after my initial jubiliation after hearing back from the mechanics who said the battery has fixed my problem... I went to collect the car, test drove it with the mechanic and in turn, his manager. The problem still persists.

It's definitely improved since my initial post.. perhaps the battery has improved it?

The manager said that the DST (diagnostic test thing) indicated no faults besides the battery and that everything else is working ok. I explained to him that the problem persists, but he said there's nothing he can do, and offered me about 1.5 hr to to change spark plugs, oil levels etc.

Can anyone else comment?

Might it be a spark plug issue?

The battery has solved me ignition problem at least.. So the £215 i spent wasn't all a waste...

Really appreciate any help.. Someone must have experienced a similar jerking snesation in their Auto Mini... Someone.. Somewhere..?
My 2005 developed a jerking-stumble motion as I'd start out, 4 months after I'd bought it in January 2010. I wasn't quite sure if I was causing it or not, as I was so unfamiliar with the car. As it turned out, new spark plugs and wires totally did away with the problem. At some point roughly a month after it started the jerking motion, a warning did come on and the code indicated, "misfire on cylinder one".
Best of luck.

Old 07-22-2011 | 01:14 PM
SocietyAutoSportsLLC
1st Gear
I am a MINI master tech and it definitely sounds like a cvt issue. Now it might be normal wear as well. They tend to jerk at low speeds as they get age on them and changing the fluid and resetting the adaptations won't fix the issue. The transmissions aren't the greatest and they have some quirks. Have you ever had the transmission serviced. It should be done at every other service interval ie inspection1 and 2. Like I said it is pretty common for cvt's to develop this shudder and unless it is making a ton of noise or giving you alot of issues I wouldn't do anything but service. Make sure the shop that services uses Esso EZL 799 Trans fluid anything else will destroy the trans. You don't want that repair bill.

Old 07-23-2011 | 01:42 AM
zudecke
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kathy1946
My 2005 developed a jerking-stumble motion as I'd start out, 4 months after I'd bought it in January 2010. I wasn't quite sure if I was causing it or not, as I was so unfamiliar with the car. As it turned out, new spark plugs and wires totally did away with the problem. At some point roughly a month after it started the jerking motion, a warning did come on and the code indicated, "misfire on cylinder one".
Best of luck.
Thanks for your comments. So you're saying you experienced a similar problem to what I described and while new spark plugs resolved the problem, a worsened version of the problem appeared only a month later? What is the "misfire on cylinder one"? Sounds big.. Is that the dreaded CVT failure curse?

Originally Posted by SocietyAutoSportsLLC
I am a MINI master tech and it definitely sounds like a cvt issue. Now it might be normal wear as well. They tend to jerk at low speeds as they get age on them and changing the fluid and resetting the adaptations won't fix the issue. The transmissions aren't the greatest and they have some quirks. Have you ever had the transmission serviced. It should be done at every other service interval ie inspection1 and 2. Like I said it is pretty common for cvt's to develop this shudder and unless it is making a ton of noise or giving you alot of issues I wouldn't do anything but service. Make sure the shop that services uses Esso EZL 799 Trans fluid anything else will destroy the trans. You don't want that repair bill.
Thanks for this info! So you suggest I just drop it in for a main service 1 or 2 and that should show the fault? Because you sort of contradicted yourself saying that tranny oil top up would not solve the problem... What results could I expect from a service? Just want to make sure I'm on the same page as you.

Old 07-23-2011 | 01:48 AM
zudecke
|
1st Gear
Basically Mini do service 1/inspection 1: http://www.miniparklane.com/our_serv...one_hatch.html

or

service 2/inspection 2: http://www.miniparklane.com/our_serv...two_hatch.html

Do you think either of them will investigate thoroughly enough to discover what is causing my tranny jerkiness?

Old 07-23-2011 | 02:22 AM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
my 03 cooper also studders at lower speeds with just over 108,000 on the odometer. frankly i've ignored it as it is similar to the studdering a lot of my friend's manuals do. as far as using only Esso EZL 799 Trans fluid. i call dealership BS, i had my tranny flushed at tires plus (who probably don't use name brand bmw oil) and it's been running fine for 2000 miles. (still studdering mind you)

my experience with OEM branded oil (kia uses their own "blend" of tranny fluid too) is that it is not different enough from some standard oils to make a whole lot of difference considering the short ownership life of most people's cars. i put 60,000 miles on non dealership oil when i had my spectra5 and she was still running like a champ the day i sold her.

Old 07-23-2011 | 05:00 AM
ufomini
4th Gear
Man, Please tell us that you did not purchase a CVT Mini. There are numerous threads warning buyers of the CVT issues.

No offense, I realize people are excited about getting a different car, especially a beloved MINI, however, it is financially imperative that you not only read these threads, but heed the advice as well!!

Good Luck

Old 07-23-2011 | 05:07 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Rusty, keep us updated with your $8000 experiment please.

Old 07-23-2011 | 06:54 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyeuro
my 03 cooper also studders at lower speeds with just over 108,000 on the odometer. frankly i've ignored it as it is similar to the studdering a lot of my friend's manuals do. as far as using only Esso EZL 799 Trans fluid. i call dealership BS, i had my tranny flushed at tires plus (who probably don't use name brand bmw oil) and it's been running fine for 2000 miles. (still studdering mind you)

my experience with OEM branded oil (kia uses their own "blend" of tranny fluid too) is that it is not different enough from some standard oils to make a whole lot of difference considering the short ownership life of most people's cars. i put 60,000 miles on non dealership oil when i had my spectra5 and she was still running like a champ the day i sold her.
Standard transmission oil is a friction modified hydrolic fluid....
CVT fluid id more of a lube....
you are destroying the tranny....good luck.
A cvt is not anything like a standard clutched auto tranny....they are 100% different....and so are the fluids....
good luck rusty, but it is likely far to late.....a $8000 bill is in the mail.....

Old 07-23-2011 | 09:05 AM
SocietyAutoSportsLLC
1st Gear
Thanks for this info! So you suggest I just drop it in for a main service 1 or 2 and that should show the fault? Because you sort of contradicted yourself saying that tranny oil top up would not solve the problem... What results could I expect from a service? Just want to make sure I'm on the same page as you.
I'm sorry I misrepresented what I was saying. It needs to be serviced every 30k miles or so and try resetting the adaptations this might lessen the bucking you are feeling but won't entirely remove the problem. The CVT's do have an inherent jerk at low speeds and is really nothing to worry about. I drive them everyday and know quite a few people with 150 to 200k miles on them and have never had any issues, but and I mean but they take care of the transmissions they are not as bad as people make them out to be, but when the customer gets an 800 bill for an inspection 2 and they want to save money they don't get the trans service which is expensive i understand, but in 10k miles don't get mad when you need a transmission. The manufacturer sets these service intervals for a reason and I have seen aftermarket cvt fluid ruin the transmission in a MINI too many times to count. I've been around these cars since they came out I know quite a bit. I'm just trying to help you guys out as I am a MINI enthusiast and owner as well.

Old 07-23-2011 | 02:46 PM
zudecke
|
1st Gear
I'm sorry I misrepresented what I was saying. It needs to be serviced every 30k miles or so and try resetting the adaptations this might lessen the bucking you are feeling but won't entirely remove the problem. The CVT's do have an inherent jerk at low speeds and is really nothing to worry about. I drive them everyday and know quite a few people with 150 to 200k miles on them and have never had any issues, but and I mean but they take care of the transmissions they are not as bad as people make them out to be, but when the customer gets an 800 bill for an inspection 2 and they want to save money they don't get the trans service which is expensive i understand, but in 10k miles don't get mad when you need a transmission. The manufacturer sets these service intervals for a reason and I have seen aftermarket cvt fluid ruin the transmission in a MINI too many times to count. I've been around these cars since they came out I know quite a bit. I'm just trying to help you guys out as I am a MINI enthusiast and owner as well.
Thank you for clearing this up!

I understand the importance of servicing your Mini, ideally at a BMW garage. However, are you suggesting I take it in NOW, or wait until my service light pops up? I'm currently 3,500 miles away from my service 1... What are you suggesting here?

And with regard to it being a normal sensation to shudder at low speeds.. I am just worried as it was SOO smooth when I got it for the first year... I have been doing some extensive driving and didn't really notice it too bad today... Perhaps it's normal?

Old 07-23-2011 | 03:46 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The service light is just an idiot light of sorts....based upon the number of gallons of fuel used....will usually go off at 15000 mile intervals....in a car not driven much, more frequent serving is good idea.....miles, driving style and time are all things that effect when mantance is needed.....your has has an issue....so it needs attention...

Old 07-23-2011 | 05:56 PM
WinnieMiniFW
2nd Gear

I also have a CVT transmission but in a 2003 MC....I plan on taking my car to the Mini dealer in Indianapolis in August to have my transmission serviced as a precaution. I know (by the service records on MINIUSA.com) that my car has had the Inspection 1 done but not Inspection 2. Is it extremely needed to have all of the parts of the Inspection 2 done? Or do you think it will be okay if I only have the CVT serviced and a oil change? Do you think that my serpentine belt replaced if there is no indication of problem?

The only reason I ask is because my CVT service is 400 dollars and a oil change is like 80 dollars. But Inspection 2 is almost a thousand dollars of which I really don't have. I bought my Mini in February and it has 47K miles on it.

Old 07-23-2011 | 06:28 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WinnieMiniFW
I also have a CVT transmission but in a 2003 MC....I plan on taking my car to the Mini dealer in Indianapolis in August to have my transmission serviced as a precaution. I know (by the service records on MINIUSA.com) that my car has had the Inspection 1 done but not Inspection 2. Is it extremely needed to have all of the parts of the Inspection 2 done? Or do you think it will be okay if I only have the CVT serviced and a oil change? Do you think that my serpentine belt replaced if there is no indication of problem?

The only reason I ask is because my CVT service is 400 dollars and a oil change is like 80 dollars. But Inspection 2 is almost a thousand dollars of which I really don't have. I bought my Mini in February and it has 47K miles on it.
If money is very tight, the belt and oil change(if needed) and tranny service are all a good idea....the inspection has a few things like air and cabin filters on it....but is in large part a inspection of the car,largely intenteded to find problems while still small, before they become big $$ issues, or leave you stuck on the side of the road......a few items like a brake flush and radiator fluid change are most likely overdue....both items can cost $$$ to fix if neglected too long.....
the inspections are kinda labour intense, so using an mini centric shop (which often charge half the cost per hour) can be a big $$ in both labour, and even on parts...a non
mini shop...or a bmw shop with similar hourly rates may or may not save $$....the keening curve on mini's is steep.....and you really don't want to be the car they learn on...

Last edited by ZippyNH; 07-24-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2011 | 06:42 PM
WinnieMiniFW
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
If money is very tight, the belt and oil change(if needed) and grant service are all a good idea....the inspection has a few things like air and cabin filters on it....but is in large part a inspection of the car,largely intenteded to find problems while still small, before they become big $$ issues, or leave you stuck on the side of the road......a few items like a brake flush and radiator fluid change are most likely overdue....both items can cost $$$ to fix if neglected too long.....
the inspections are kinda labour intense, so using an mini centric shop (which often charge half the cost per hour) can be a big $$ in both labour, and even on parts...a non mini shop...or a bcm shop with similar hourly rates may or may not save $$....the keening curve on mini's is steep.....and you really don't want to be the car they learn on...

Well, I can do the brake flush, air filters, radiator, belts and all other more practical maintenance at a minimal price myself I just cant see spending more money that I have to ....The CVT is something I do not want to mess with myself because it is so temperamental and to flush it myself makes me nervous because I would have to remove the computer, yikes! The oil change is about the same price as if I would do it myself so I figured I would just let the professionals do it while I am in Indy (which is like a 2 1/2 hour drive from where I live) getting my CVT serviced. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't crucial for Inspection 2 to happen if I could do the rest of the maintenance myself for a fraction of the cost..

Old 07-24-2011 | 03:03 AM
zudecke
|
1st Gear
The service light is just an idiot light of sorts....based upon the number of gallons of fuel used....will usually go off at 15000 mile intervals....in a car not driven much, more frequent serving is good idea.....miles, driving style and time are all things that effect when mantance is needed.....your has has an issue....so it needs attention...
Can you please explain which part of either the inspection 1 or 2 would pick up any sort of transmission faults akin to what I've explained to be experiencing?

If money is very tight, the belt and oil change(if needed) and grant service are all a good idea....the inspection has a few things like air and cabin filters on it....but is in large part a inspection of the car,largely intenteded to find problems while still small, before they become big $$ issues, or leave you stuck on the side of the road......a few items like a brake flush and radiator fluid change are most likely overdue....both items can cost $$$ to fix if neglected too long.....
the inspections are kinda labour intense, so using an mini centric shop (which often charge half the cost per hour) can be a big $$ in both labour, and even on parts...a non mini shop...or a bcm shop with similar hourly rates may or may not save $$....the keening curve on mini's is steep.....and you really don't want to be the car they learn on...
The poster before me mentioned a "transmission service".. Surely that is what I need rather than an inspection1 or 2, right?

However, I cannot see an item called "transmission service" on the Mini website... Can anyone explain what this is and how much it is likely to cost?

Thanks again,

Z

Old 07-24-2011 | 08:46 AM
WinnieMiniFW
2nd Gear
Can you please explain which part of either the inspection 1 or 2 would pick up any sort of transmission faults akin to what I've explained to be experiencing?

The poster before me mentioned a "transmission service".. Surely that is what I need rather than an inspection1 or 2, right?

However, I cannot see an item called "transmission service" on the Mini website... Can anyone explain what this is and how much it is likely to cost?

Thanks again,

Z

I live in Fort Wayne, IN and my closest Mini dealer is in Indianapolis. I called Dreyer and Reinbold MINI and they quoted me 400 dollars to service my Mini. They said this included flushing the transmission fluid but not replacing the filter inside the transmission (which is like 600 dollars to replace for just the part, not the labor) but, from my understanding the filter doesn't needed to be changed as often. I don't know about price differences through the country depending on your location, but my Mini dealer said 400 dollars for just the service w/fluid flushing.

There is a way to change the fluid in you Mini yourself, but it is super labor intensive and you have to take out the battery, battery box, and computer which I don't want to run the risk of screwing up the computer.

Quick Reply: R50/53 stuttering start and stop..gears?