R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Going to hand over my deposit Saturday, need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 10:02 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my car, I absolutely love the sunroof. I live in Massachusetts, so while it does get hot and sunny here, we're not talking FL or desert...and if I were in those situations I'd maybe rethink it. But I'm not (thank god!), and actually find that when I sit in MINIs w/o the sunroof they seem awfully cramped and claustrophobia-inducing. The sunroof - even when closed (which mine is about 75% of the time year-round average) really makes the car feel open and spacious. I couldn't live without it...rattles and all.

The Auto A/C, on the other hand, is the one option I now wish I hadn't gotten. It's quite non-intuitive, not very accurate, and a pain-in-the-butt to use until you figure out how it works (which takes a while since it's so friggin' non-intuitive). I'd say to delete it as an option EXCEPT that it comes in a package that makes it almost a free upgrade when you get something you really want such as the sunroof.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:08 AM
early_apex
6th Gear
how is the auto a/c non intuative? It seems simple to me - set the temp, and you're done. You want defrost? Hit that button. Want air on your feet? Hit that button. etc.

Am I missing something?

Old 02-04-2004, 10:13 AM
C4
Banned
The manual A/C controls do the same for $300 less. That's what you are missing

Old 02-04-2004, 10:21 AM
davo99
1st Gear
Hey Juan,

I really like the 03 cooper 5 speed that i got.. no tranny problems, or any other problems so far 20K miles.. I did the sport package and lights.. i like the lights they are cool as hell. I drive alot obviously... sun roof is not so great when you have a sun burn, cause the shade still lets light through.. I think all sunroofs will wistle at high speeds a little..

We all were at the same crossroads as you are when we ordered.. Good luck, if i had to do it over again, assuming no problems with eather car i would have gotten the S model, i still wish i had a little more power in pole position, and the S is a screemer..

DA

Old 02-04-2004, 10:37 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Juan Paco,

I love sunroofs as well, and I have one on my MCS. I really like it. It doesn't add much heat to the car if any (I live in Atlanta also and bought my car from Global Imports). The only drawback is that it is loud if open on the highway. Louder than previous cars I have had, so it has been unusable at highway speeds (i.e. 85-90mph on I-285 - which in some cases seems like the speed limit on that road).

I don't think you will regret a stripped down MCS. In fact a lot of us that have a fully optioned MCS sometimes long for a stripped down version for mods. You get the MCS and put just the pulley on and it would be a fun car for a long time.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:03 AM
sbgobig
4th Gear
Sunroof- I was also skeptical about getting the sunroof but I am very happy with it. It is closed most of the time but still gives you a great view because it is so big. I have had no problems with sun or heat since it is tinted and the screen works fine (I live in S.Calif). Mine is an '04 and I have no rattles or any other problems.

Auto A/C- I'm not sure it's all that great because it doesn't really do anything unique.

the MFSW is something I underestimated but is so worth the money, it lets you control alot of radio functions and is a great safety feature.

I would look for a dealer that will not charge you those prep and doc fees. My doc fees were $50 and I did not pay for any extras like interior and exterior protection pkgs. Use your money to get stuff you want rather than give it to your dealership.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:06 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the problem. The dealer is trying to rip you off with $1000 in added dealer profit. Dealer prep is always included in the MSRP. Another $595 for a crummy wash job? The documentation fee of $399 is another dealer profit markup. I insisted on and got this removed when I bought my MINI. I refused to pay one cent more than MSRP.

Go to another dealer. :smile:

R.E.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:26 PM
JuanPacoLopez
3rd Gear
My understanding was that the doc fee covered title/registration and related fees? If I'm not mistaken then $399 sounds reasonable, as Ad Valorem tax in GA on a Mini is right around $350 if my math is right.

So the prep fee is BS? How many of your have actually paid this (I'm specifically interested in the poster who also bought his Mini from Global Imports)?

If I could erase the prep and doc fees, than an MCS becomes a MUCH more attractive option as, at the very least, I could add a sunroof and MFSW.

Thanks again for the great suggestions... keep 'em coming!

Old 02-04-2004, 01:35 PM
fms
5th Gear
>>The stock manual A/C controls work great and are pretty straightforward to use. IMO, there is no need for "Automatic A/C" on a car the size of the MINI. Save the $300 on this useless option.

I've got the ACC, and I freely admit to not using it in the automatic mode. I leave the controls set so that I can turn the fan on, off, up or down w/out the silly "wind tunnel force" defrost setting. The reason I would always get this option again is because of how the controls look and work. The first drive I took after dark I was completely blown away w/ how cool the controls looked all lit up. Also, if you order the premium option, you don't really pay for this feature.

Old 02-04-2004, 02:00 PM
fuv
1st Gear
MCS is the best choice, no doubt....it's the way the car was meant to perform. All mods done in the future will be well worth it, which can't be said for the MC..

Sunroof for me was a no brainer, because I get claustrophobic, and the sunroof, even if not opened (especially when living in MA this time of the year), opens up the inside of the car and makes it feel more spacious...it's my own personal hang up

Heated seats a must up here in New England (by the way the home of the World Champions Patriots..sorry I had to get that in)

Skip the other stuff that you can live without....MFSW, ACC, Sports Package, DSC, 17" wheels, leather interior, auto dimming mirror, xenon headlights...

ciao...and good luck whatever you decide to do....

"leave the gun, take the canollis"

Old 02-04-2004, 02:35 PM
dandp
6th Gear
All mods done in the future will be well worth it, which can't be said for the MC..
Opinion, not fact. Sorry, but someone has to stick up for the Cooper here. You can do mods very wisely on the Cooper that will benefit the car. Whether it's a daily driver or set-up for auto-x, you can do things that improve it. I know some folks here cannot imagine driving a vehicle with 115hp everday, but really, you can wring alot more out of that engine than you realize.

Old 02-04-2004, 03:52 PM
pitpass
2nd Gear
Just make sure your dealer/MA stays on top of your order
mine has not and now nobody knows where my car is,
the sales manager says there is an investigation going
on at the plant to see what happened to my car but I've
gotten 3 different stories and I'm not waiting another 2
months for a car that was built in mid December that has
vanished. I have asked for my deposit back.

Old 02-04-2004, 03:57 PM
JuanPacoLopez
3rd Gear
Opinion, not fact. Sorry, but someone has to stick up for the Cooper here. You can do mods very wisely on the Cooper that will benefit the car. Whether it's a daily driver or set-up for auto-x, you can do things that improve it. I know some folks here cannot imagine driving a vehicle with 115hp everday, but really, you can wring alot more out of that engine than you realize.
Such a complicated decision....

What does everyone think about the dealer prep a doc. fees? It makes the decision MUCH easier if suddenly I can afford an MCS + Premium (or even just sunroof)... I have to say I'd love the extra hp, and could install some mods (like a beter stereo) later as needed.

Thoughts on extra fees?

Old 02-04-2004, 03:59 PM
C4
Banned
Sorry to hear that, Pitpass. Dealers that don't follow up on something as essential as the order itself do not deserve your business. They indeed dropped the ball. What are you going to do next? Whare are you located at? If you are in Florida or nearby I can highly recommend my dealer (Lauderdale MINI) and MA. She is absolutely fantastic. My Cooper had a 2 month wait and my Cooper S had a 10 month wait. Both cars arrived to the dealer before the time they were promised. I have bought two new MINIs from her.

Old 02-04-2004, 04:06 PM
C4
Banned
My dealer only charges a $399 non-negotiable prep/doc fee. This fee also includes a choice of MINI rubber or cloth floormats. Lauderdale MINI doesn't charge a penny above this prep fee. I think it is pretty fair as you would have to pay at least a doc fee to buy any other new car.

dealers that charge multiple fees or force you to give into buying overpriced accessories, do not deserve your business.

Old 02-04-2004, 04:19 PM
fuv
1st Gear
dandp:

Many dicussions here are opinions....

The point I didn't make very well was that no mods are necessary to wring out more zip from the MCS, the car already has what it needs....and if Juan was going to mod a MC, why not consider starting off where he may eventually end up?

no slight meant on MC owners who mod their cars...

....again it's all IMO

ciao

"leave the gun, take the canollis"

Old 02-04-2004, 04:30 PM
jsun
6th Gear
>>how is the auto a/c non intuative? It seems simple to me - set the temp, and you're done. You want defrost? Hit that button. Want air on your feet? Hit that button. etc.
>>
>>Am I missing something?

So, you actually LIKE hearing the fan howling at full-tilt-boogie when you select the defroster? I sure don't...and lord knows it wasn't obvious (to me) that the remedy to that situation is to hold down the defroster button until the fan backs down; after which, btw, you've disabled "auto" mode...which sort of makes the "auto" A/C less of an automatic feature.

So the prep fee is BS? How many of your have actually paid this (I'm specifically interested in the poster who also bought his Mini from Global Imports)?
Juan, I got my MINI for EXACTLY the price displayed on the MINIUSA website after I configured my car. I believe that price (fron the site) included a small amount for "delivery" but zip in "dealer prep." Oh, I did pay an extra $20 for state inspection. But that's it. Dealer prep is a boondoggle and is entirely determined by individual dealers. Shop around.

Old 02-04-2004, 04:50 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>My understanding was that the doc fee covered title/registration and related fees? If I'm not mistaken then $399 sounds reasonable, as Ad Valorem tax in GA on a Mini is right around $350 if my math is right.
>>
>>So the prep fee is BS? How many of your have actually paid this (I'm specifically interested in the poster who also bought his Mini from Global Imports)?
>>
>>If I could erase the prep and doc fees, than an MCS becomes a MUCH more attractive option as, at the very least, I could add a sunroof and MFSW.
>>
>>Thanks again for the great suggestions... keep 'em coming!

I didn't buy my MINI from Global Imports but I am certain that the $595 prep fee is 100% BS. The documentation fee is also BS. When you're selling a car at list there should be no need to pad your profit with "documentation fees". The $299 documentation fee I refused to pay had absolutely nothing to do with title/registration charges. I could be wrong but I don't think the documentation fee has anything to do with paying any taxes, (someone correct me if it does). If a car is in short supply the dealer can be expected to try to maximize their profit, but it's up to you to maximize the deal you get.

I'll bet you can buy a MINI for list, (no phoney prep or doc fees) if you look around. You might even get a discount off MSRP.

Don't get in a hurry, it's fun to get the best deal possible. :smile: :smile:

Old 02-04-2004, 05:07 PM
chamuco
1st Gear
That DOC fee sounds too high..I paid $50 for mine..it is mandatory at a lot of dealersbut it just covers the paperwork they do on the registration. Prep Fee..what the hell is that. Since when do they charge you to wash a car at the dealer? I wouldnt take that if I where you.

My vote isfor the bare bones MCS. Better tranny..faster car..better suspension = more fun to play with
Skip all the options...I've got almost everything they offer..and if (when) I do it over again..I'm gonna get it completely stripped down. The only thing I might reccomend is the MFSW..best $$ I ever spent on the car.

good luck

Old 02-04-2004, 06:24 PM
bludog
1st Gear
MSRP plus $51 doc fee, $15 county tax, $80 TTL and state and local tax is what I paid. So, any other fees are bull. my sales rep even threw in a set of rubber mats. Go for the S. I got the S w/ all 3 packages and leather but the only one thing I can really recommend is the MFSW. I love the sunroof but it's not for everybody. two that I dislike most are auto climate control and on board computer (numbers are off the mark).

Old 02-04-2004, 07:23 PM
ncdave
5th Gear
I've got a MC with premium, sport and leather package and have absolutely no regrets. The power is fine for everyday driving and the top speed was sufficient to rip my original cling flag off of the sunroof. I did try the MCS and was concerned that it was too stiff for everyday-type commuting (no doubt an age related-thing; I would no doubt have felt differently 20 years ago). Fact is, the MC handles great with lots of power even on track days so long as you keep the revs up. On the move, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference; accelerating out of corners, however, is a different thing.

I would seriously counsel against a Cooper without the sunroof; it really opens up the inside of the car and nothing is better on a sunny day or star-filled night, After living with it for a while, you won't believe how large it it is compared with lesser (so-called larger) cars.

Go with your gut and enjoy the ride!

Old 02-05-2004, 07:34 AM
JuanPacoLopez
3rd Gear
Ok, so I think I've narrowed it down.

After careful consideration, I decided that the S just isn't for me. While I would LOVE to think I'd be able to get out into the country to enjoy more "spirited" driving than my normal city grind as often as possible, I think in the long run I'll get more enjoyment out of the added ammenities (particularly the H/K system, sunroof, etc.) on my commute than the occassional weekend sprint or highway pass.

I think I've decided on an IB/W (Anthracite interior) CVT w/ premium, auto washers/mirrors, sport seats (black leatherette, heard bad things about the durability of the leather), H/K system and.....

2 questions to decide the rest if you don't mind:

1) How bright are the Xenons? While I would love the auto wash (and they auto level don't they?) feature, but I've always HATED those super-duper bright headlights coming towards me that look more like the "brights" on my old Civic. I don't want to be one of those people

2) If anyone has one, how is the 3-spoke wheel? My dealer doesn't have any to look at. I like the look of it, but it seems that the control buttons for cruise/stereo are AWFUL small?

Thanks again for all the help!

Old 02-05-2004, 12:40 PM
jimwh
Neutral
>>I hate to be an alarmist, and may get some flack for this, but based on what I've been reading lately I'd be pretty wary of getting a 5-speed Cooper right now due to the transmission longevity issues. The MCS transmission hasn't been any problem, and it seems like BMW may have worked the bugs out of the CVT programming...but 5 speeds seem to be croaking at an alarming rate as more and more cars reach the 25K - 30K point this winter.

jsun - can you be a little more specific as to what kind of problem the 5-speed tranny has been having? Where di you find this out?

I have heard that there is a different version coming out that does not have a reliability issue. Do you know if it has reached production and/or how to tell which component is installed?

TIA

Old 02-05-2004, 12:54 PM
jsun
6th Gear
jimwh (Welcome to NAM! ) - there are a couple of threads currently running re. failures of the so-called "Midlands" 5-speed transmission currently in the Cooper. Try this one ("Transmission being replaced!", but look for 2 or 3 more in the Beneath the Bonnet section.

Juan - I can't say anything about the steering wheel (I love my 2-spoke MFW!), but I do have the Xenons and love them. Yes, they're bright...but when your car has the bright lights, that's an advantage. The auto-leveling motors and washers are supposed to make them legal and less annoying than some of the after-market HID lights. I do have to say though that the washers ARE NOT a particularly useful feature IMO. Yeah, the DOT says we need them, but I could get along fine w/o. I do suspect that the leveling motors help keep us from blinding on-coming drivers.

Old 02-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Super_MINI
4th Gear
Ha, my commute to work is .8 miles....max speed limit 25mph. Bought an MCS anyway. I didn't buy it to just get to work, if that was the case I should have bought a bike. It's all about the weekends and the "Long way to work".

Get a base MCS.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Going to hand over my deposit Saturday, need advice...