R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Driving a stick

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004 | 01:31 AM
isykal
|
2nd Gear
Driving a stick

I've never driven a stick shift b4, but i love the cooper S so much. is it hard to learn? and approximately how long it would take for me to learn?

Old 02-20-2004 | 01:34 AM
Teampajn
4th Gear
The Mini Cooper is a fairly easy car to drive as a stick. You should have someone with you that knows how to drive a stick when you learn. Everybody is different on learning, but you will get all the basics down in one day. I believe that next years model will have an optional automatic if you really wanted one, but they are alot of fun in manual.

Old 02-20-2004 | 01:42 AM
isykal
|
2nd Gear
ya thats wat i heard too. manual transmission is really fun especially on a MINI. i'm so excited! my parents are getting me the COOPER S.

Old 02-20-2004 | 05:03 AM
csasso
2nd Gear
My wife had the same fears but in a one hour leason she learned in my truck and after a week of practice she took of in the MINI. One sugestion would be to use another vehical other then your MINI to learn in, not that the MINI is hard to learn in its better to grind another cars gear while learning. A V8 truck is great to learn in because the torque is so high with those low reaving engines its easier to learn the feel of using clutch and gas at the same time. Get a friend who knows how to drive and go rent one of those 19.95 budget trucks for the weekend. It would be worth the 20 bucks to put the wear on the truck.

Old 02-20-2004 | 05:16 AM
meg
5th Gear
As said before it will probably take only a day to learn the basics. But having the car sit in the driveway is motivation in itself (I soeak from experience).

Old 02-20-2004 | 05:27 AM
chollomo
4th Gear
I like the stick on the S mini tho it is not a very forgiving stick.. it took me longer to adjust to driving stick on the mini than on other cars.. though in teh end I bought a cvt for sitting in traffic purpouses... antoher point is that the S is a 6 speed which felt a littel diferentt to me, especailly reverse.. btu if you've never driven stick, learning on this car should make you an expert at any other stik out there.

Old 02-20-2004 | 05:40 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
If you are a complete clutch neophyte, I suggest learning on a vehicle with more torque than a MCS. This is because until your leg/head/seat of pants gets comfortable with how clutches take up, you will probably be harming the clutch a little as you learn. IMO The ideal learner vehicle would be a six cylinder pickup or jeep, as it comes with a heavy duty clutch as well as sufficient torque to allow you to bog it without killing the engine. Short of that, I'd recommend a six cylinder car, like a Ford Mustang or Nissan Altima, or a relatively large displacement four like a Mazda 626. These vehicles are easy learners, and their clutches are very progressive, so it should be possible to get comfortable in a day or two and proficient within a week.

The MCS is a trickier beast. Engine revs at initial take off are at least 2,500 rpm and you may need to "feather" the clutch a bit.

Old 02-20-2004 | 05:46 AM
zfxr
5th Gear
I would not suggest the MC or MCS the first few times driving a stick. The lack of low-end torque combined with a (relatively) heavy car make it trickier. Now the "S" is a bit better on off-the line power (only a bit), and (IMHO) has an easier transmissions.

That said, after driving many sticks in my life (C5 Vette, Grand Am, various diesel rentals in Europe, etc...) the Mini is one of the trickiest. I still find myself feathering the clutch on hills and when pulling out into tight traffic spots! I've even stalled it a few times (tho usually the fault of DSC!).

Old 02-20-2004 | 09:17 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
I rate the MINI (both Cooper and S) "above average" for ease of use for a front-driver. Rear drive sticks are typically higher effort, but easier to "feel", and of course have better shifter feedback than the cable operated front-drive shifter. The MINI has one of the better shifters of a front driver, though the clutch pedal feel can be a bit clunky off the floor, it has relatively linear take-up - a BMW trademark.

Ditto on learning on a higher torque vehicle - a truck would be a good start. I defintely wouldn't learn on a new vehicle, as you need to be reasonably experienced to properly break in the clutch. Find a buddy with an old clunker!

Old 02-20-2004 | 09:30 AM
kgmini
2nd Gear
I haven't received my MCS yet, but I've driven one a few times. I thought the six speed was really easy to drive. I don't have anything to directly compare it to since I haven't owned a standard in a couple of years. My previous standard was a Boxster S. I think it was harder to drive since the clutch was a little vague and the shifter was not precise. The hardest stick I've ever driven was my Honda S2000. The sheer lack of any bottom end torque made take-offs tricky. I know I killed it a few times while I owned it.

In my short time with an MCS six speed it felt very good. The clutch action is very light and fairly linear. The clutch doesn't grab an the end of it's travel. The shifter itself is very nice for being attached via a cable. It slips into the correct gear with hardly any effort. On some six speeds the correct gear is a bit hard to find. The gates on the MCS six are nicely defined.

Probably the best vehicle to learn how to drive a standard is someone else's. I saw some suggestions to use a vehicle with some torque. Sounds good to me just remember that EVERY manual transmission car feels different. They are just as individual as the car itself. So don't expect to learn how to drive in a Mustang and expect the Mini to feel the same.

The scariest aspect for a lot of newbies is how to take off from an incline. The easiest way to do this minus growing another foot is to use the emergency brake. With the emergency brake fully applied start the car and hold in the clutch...have your right foot on the brake. Slowly release the foot brake to ensure the emergency brake is working. If you start to roll backwards you don't have the e-brake applied fully. Once you determine you're not going to roll back turn your front wheels the correct direction (if you need to merge onto the street). Apply a little gas and slowly release the clutch. At the same time release the e-brake (hold down the release button) and slowly lower it. Once you get moving give it more gas release the clutch and e-brake. It takes a little timing, but it's easier than trying to play musical feet (which you'll be able to do once you have some more experience). One thing to keep in mind is NEVER slip the clutch any more than absolutely necessary. You'll wear it out very quick.

Don't roll to a stop from 40 miles an hour with the clutch pushed in. Shift to a lower gear while decelerating (if necessary) and use the compression of the engine to slow you down. Just make sure if you down shift it's smooth. On wet or slippery roads you could loose traction if you drop down too many gears. Push in the clutch just before you get to the light, etc. If I’m going to be stuck at a long light I usually slip the tranny into neutral. I think it helps to save the throw-out bearing. Don't use the clutch (slipping) to hold your position. Use your brake!

That's a few ideas for you to mull over. I'm sure others here have more ideas (better ways) of driving a stick. Good luck.

Old 02-20-2004 | 09:50 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
I had not driven a manual transmission car for over 10 years and took a MCS out for a test drive.
Within a few seconds or one intersection I was back to being familiar enough that I could drive it smoothly.
10,500 miles later I'd say that the MINI MCS transmission isn't super easy to learn on but not bad at all.
When you begin to practice shifting using 1st and second gear to make it easy try practicing on a road that has a very slight downhill grade as opposed to slight uphill grade.

For more on learning stick see-
http://www.10w40.com/individual/100186.asp

Old 02-20-2004 | 10:52 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
You'll be use to it in no time! enjoy.

Old 02-20-2004 | 10:53 AM
isykal
|
2nd Gear
thankyou so much!! you guys are great!

Old 02-20-2004 | 11:30 AM
kgmini
2nd Gear
I helps to start out in a really big parking lot. Preferably one without many cars or light poles.

Old 02-20-2004 | 02:30 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Experienced Manual Transmission driver seeks the following definitions:

"Slipping" the clutch ??

"Feathering" same ??

ty,
Tatt

Old 02-20-2004 | 03:07 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Slipping and feathering is a tad different in a way that
on feathering, you are modulating the clutch in-out a little
(very very little movement) to adjust the engagement
smoothness.

On the other hand, slipping the clutch is somewhat more
of a linear condition where you just let the clutch slip
and engage gradually without modulation.

Once you get good at engaging the clutch you'll modulate
the clutch when needed or just linearly engage depending
on the condition without even thinking about it.

Old 02-20-2004 | 03:47 PM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
>>I helps to start out in a really big parking lot. Preferably one without many cars or light poles. :smile: A common thing for someone just learning to drive a stick is to get confused with what to do. Plus, please oh please practice on hills. It still isn't the same as the first few times of having someone 2 inches from your backside, but you'll get used to it.

I taught Lizzy how to drive (after numerous boyfriends failed (see why I'm such a catch?! ), and if SHE can learn....anyone can. Learn while you're young and you'll be in a good breed of people.

Old 02-20-2004 | 03:50 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
:smile: You'll get the hang of it lickity split... :smile:

Chow!

Donna

Old 02-20-2004 | 08:07 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
All these tips bring back memories of when I learned to drive a stick----on a 1962 Ford Falcon; what a tank that car was!

One more tip: At the time, it helped me to learn in a place that was quiet. Keep the radio off. It helps to listen to the engine and get a feel for how it is responding (changing revs) to your clutch and throttle action. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2004 | 08:33 PM
no_affiliation
5th Gear
My girlfriend prior to her mini did not drive stick

she learned on my car a toyota paseo, i took her out maybe 3 times, and when the car arrived i actually drove it off the lot becuase she was scared.

Old 02-20-2004 | 08:56 PM
c615586
3rd Gear
I learned on a Toyota Corolla (my friend's) have driven a Honda Civic for the last 6 years. Honda's are pretty easy to learn on, though they don't have much torque.

On a personal note, I find that when I drive a manual transmission car, I pay more attention to what I'm doing and to the traffic around me.

Old 02-20-2004 | 09:43 PM
MaxaMini
4th Gear
>>I learned on a Toyota Corolla (my friend's) have driven a Honda Civic for the last 6 years. Honda's are pretty easy to learn on, though they don't have much torque.
>>
>>On a personal note, I find that when I drive a manual transmission car, I pay more attention to what I'm doing and to the traffic around me.

Traffic? Around Me? It's a MINI. What are you doing with traffic?

Don't worry about the stick It becomes automatic.

Old 02-20-2004 | 10:26 PM
Larabees
1st Gear
Go for it. The MINI 6 speed is a pretty easy transmission to shift.

Old 02-21-2004 | 09:43 PM
Issigonis
Neutral
hey break the clutch...so what? its under warranty no?

its not too hard...just be careful

Old 02-22-2004 | 12:48 AM
trailblazer
2nd Gear
Before I got a MINI, I had only driven a manual once. Learning takes some time, but it is really not that bad. Start out in a deserted parking lot until you get the hang of it. Eventually you don't even have to think - it's essentially an automatic BUT MORE FUN!!

Quick Reply: R50/53 Driving a stick