R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Preventative Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012 | 06:40 PM
quickslvr580
|
2nd Gear
Preventative Maintenance

I have an '06 MCS with 43,000 miles and I plan on doing the following in two weeks.

What should I do about the crank pulley? Should I replace the stock one? If so what should I replace it with?

Should I add or remove anything from this list?

I just replaced the thermostat housing/ gasket and changed the tranny fluid last week.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your input.

Replace fuel filter

Change Engine Oil/ Oil Filter

Flush / Replace Brake Fluid

Change Supercharger Oil

Install Supercharger Reduction Pulley

Change Plugs / Upgrade Coil Pack and Wires

Change Serpentine Belt

Install Oil Catch Can

Install Shock Tower Reinforcement

Last edited by quickslvr580; 02-14-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2012 | 07:18 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Add radiator fluid change...mini does not use long life fluid...(not sure if you just put it back in/refilled it when you did the thermostat).
Look at the crank damper...look at the rubber...look for cracks, or even too much wiggle if try to make it flex...replacements are either a fluid (gel filled one), the higher end ATI damper, or another oem...then another oem....then another....
Then change your SC belt...
next, check you apark plug wires...the oem ones are so short, the ohm reading is unlikly to be out of spec, but they might have wear from chafing, or corrosion where they connect to the coil pack...which offen gets badly corroded on the terminals...oem has nickel plated iron terminals, aftermaket is usually brass, but a quick pollish with an emory cloth, and some dielectric grease ca keep the connections good for a longer time...the oem pack is actually pretty good accoring to most tuneers, but is simple ro swap out, but like plugs, not a real factor in making more hp if it is working well.
I would also inspect the cv boots, look at the various bushing, and look at the engine mounts..a general poke around...don't forget the air filters...both the cabin and engine.

Old 02-14-2012 | 07:20 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
PS
If you do decide to pull the sc, look at the water pump...make sure the weep hole on it is dey, with no staining...and look at the radiator tank, and maybe check the cooling fans...both the powers steering cooling fan, and the radiator fan for both speeds....

Old 02-14-2012 | 07:50 PM
WayMotorWorks
Former Vendor
With 43k it's not going to need alot, it's more about the age of the parts now.

I would do belt, oil change, air filter, plug wires, and A/C filter.

Now I've seen so many crank pullies fail I wouldn't think it's a bad idea to replace it early. I would do the ATI Damper it is the best available.

Brake fluid should be changed every 2yrs no matter what, every 6months if your tracking the car.

Fuel filter, don't bother yet.

Strut reinforcement, good idea no matter the mileage.

Check terminals on coil pack, replace coil with Screamin Demon if bad.

Pulley, GO FOR IT, you'll love it.

Old 02-15-2012 | 06:26 AM
blue2turbo
4th Gear
From the looks of it, you're on the same exact path I just was. My car had 54k miles on it when I got it and ended up doing a laundry list of things to it, not because of abuse, but just because of the age of parts as Way mentioned. If you just did the thermostat, definitely flush the coolant all together and fill it up with some new OEM coolant.

Crank Pulley, ATI Super damper for sure. It includes almost everything you need for install, you just have to go get a generic pulley puller (Harbor freight for $20) and some long bolts.

While you're there, maybe upgrade your tensioner bushings with the powerflex ones and add a tensioner stop. Do the belt while you're doing the pulley. And check the idler pulley while you have it all apart, I got mine all back together to find out mine was bad and needed to be changed :(. If you can afford to do everything in the belt drive assembly all at once, I'm a fan of doing it once and being done with it.

Also, take a look underneath at your powersteering hoses where they connect to the reservior at the top and where they connect to the pump. Make sure there aren't moist or cracking (again mine were and needed to be replaced).

As for the catch can, before you do that, remove the intercooler and take a look inside/clean it out. If you don't have a lot of oil or residue, then a catch can may not be necessary. I am about to do this myself as I was getting ready to get a BSH catch can and figured I should check if it's even worth it first. Just be ready to replace the couplers on the Intercooler because the stock ones are thin rubber.

Honestly, I like seeing these threads, I prefer to read about people doing all the maintenance and preventative measures before they start to heavily mod. I always shake my head when I read threads about people that bought a car with 60k+ miles, modded the hell out of it and complained that some maintenance items started to leak or break.

Good luck and I just did most of the stuff on your list on my 06' MCS so if you need any advice or hit a snag, let me know and I can try to provide some insight!

Old 02-15-2012 | 09:06 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
I hosted a shop day at my garage for the local MINI club and we pulled the supercharger off of a 170K mile car, the oil was fine! We changed it anyway, but be aware that stuff is NASTY! I was also surprised to see how clean the iside of the oil pan and underside of the engine was for that many miles! We pulled the pan because there was oil all over the engine, but I'm still convinced 99% of the oil pan gaskets being replaced on these engines aren't leaking, the oil is coming from the crank sensor o-ring. Be sure to replace that while you're in there, it's held in with one bolt and it's just an o-ring.

At this few miles, I wouldn't bother with your supercharger, but do look at the water pump for leaks.

Other than that, follow Way's recommendations.....