R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 ECU Flash Sport Tune for 2006 MCS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012 | 06:37 PM
Hawk 06MCS
|
2nd Gear
ECU Flash Sport Tune for 2006 MCS?

Does anybody with an R53 MCS have any "hard numbers" on how many HP/WHP you can gain from an ECU Tune? Where we can get a tune? There must be suppliers who can do the job? Any links? Looking to break the 200 Hp mark.

Old 03-05-2012 | 07:46 PM
SniperDetailing
4th Gear
madness motorworks offers a few options for chip tuning, but to really get the full shebang out of their stage 2 software you would need a catback exhaust in addition to what you have and even then you won't be quite past the 200hp barrier. If you want to get past that barrier I would recommend a water/meth kit, catback and maybe a header

Old 03-06-2012 | 02:56 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Custom tunes are exactly that....
two different cars with the same mods will get different results, even when new due to the internal mechanical condiions of the motor and tolerances...
A good custom tune is always better than a canned tune.....

Old 03-06-2012 | 05:12 AM
Eggburp
3rd Gear
My hard numbers look like this,

base run on the dyno 176 whp @ 6700
165 ft.lb. @ 4200

third run with tune 190 whp @ 6700
180 ft.lb. @ 4400

The great change in numbers was the increased torque available over a much broader power curve. Also, we have emission testing in Ontario and my numbers are cleaner with the tune.

As stated numbers will vary considerably with dyno(s), atmos. conditions,
days of the week , what you had for breakfast and most imp. how liquid was the tuners' dinner the previous night!

Cost: $150 for the dyno time and $350 for the tune. RMW did my tune in Rochester NY @ a tune party.

I have a few more mods, 15% pulley, DDM CAI, Miltek Header/cat-back, JCW 380's, but stock head and cam.
I've recently added a number of go faster mods and will be getting a re-fresh on the tune, re-tune cost was $50 last yr. , not sure if inflation has got to that number! Good luck!

Old 03-07-2012 | 11:33 AM
BVTmcs
Neutral
No numbers- just questions & concerns!

Glad to see some recent posts on this topic- esp. the reference to the Madness Motorworks Stage 2 Power Package. First- I WANT IT TO BE CLEAR: What I'm about to report is not intended to badmouth or slight Madness Motorworks or their products in any way!! Overall, they seem to offer quality products.

That said, I'm left confused and concerned from the experience I've had after installing the Stage 2 Power Package to my '06 MCS last summer and I'm VERY INTERESTED to hear from any others who may have this setup.

You can see all mods that are installed here: http://tinyurl.com/86nfuam They were all installed properly (from what I and a mechanic friend who helped me can tell) including the updated/reflashed ECU. Full disclosure: parts that were also added that aren't part of the package were MSD spark plug wires and Coil Pack.

Now with the upgrades in place and a summer to experience driving with them (car is now in storage for winter), I consistently notice the following concerning effects: When driving in a "spirited manner" for more than ~15 sec or so and accelerating hard from 3rd-5th gear I notice a STRONG burning odor (smells like fuel. In other words, not to be confused with an electrical burn smell if that helps). In addition, during (and ONLY during) this period of hard acceleration (not during normal driving), I will begin seeing black smoke from my exhaust. All of this goes away or is at least not apparent to me when driving "normally". Also to note, before doing these mods I made sure the car was all current with regular maintenance and driving it in a similar manner pre-mods, I never had any issue like this whatsoever.

After I first began noticing this issue, I followed up with Madness-Motorworks to see what the deal was. I also explained that I added the MSD wires/coil pack after receiving the re-flashed ECU and asked if that could be a factor. They didn't seem to think it would be causing this and told me what I described was "normal" because extra fuel was being used for the boost that was expected to match the new components. I found this bewildering and a bit frustrating to say the least. But while I didn't like their answer, I decided to try to just live with it. After driving with it for the remainder of the summer however, I can't help but think it isn't normal and because I'm considering making further mods in a month or so when I take it out of storage, I called a different tuner shop (I'll leave anonymous) for their opinion. They offer a similar upgrade package although they utilize the Shark Injector system instead of re-flashing the ECU. Anyway, they didn't seem to think what I was describing was normal either.

So the question goes out to all of you: What should I do about this? I just want the damn thing running lean and mean without a trail of smoke and a smell to match! I'm not out racing at a track on the weekends though I go to the occasional autocross event (not after mods yet though). I just basically wanted a "better" stock Mini that would just be that much more fun driving on the twisty, hilly roads in my area.

Old 03-07-2012 | 11:55 AM
killerfox
4th Gear
You need to get a real tune!!! contact RMW plain and simple, he has more experience tuning these cars then anyone else. Madness is a parts supplier meaning they just sell aftermarket stuff. To put it another way, would you buy tires from the local candy store or a tire shop? Get a real Dyno tune or at least a canned tune from someone who has 400whp R53.

Originally Posted by BVTmcs
Glad to see some recent posts on this topic- esp. the reference to the Madness Motorworks Stage 2 Power Package. First- I WANT IT TO BE CLEAR: What I'm about to report is not intended to badmouth or slight Madness Motorworks or their products in any way!! Overall, they seem to offer quality products.

That said, I'm left confused and concerned from the experience I've had after installing the Stage 2 Power Package to my '06 MCS last summer and I'm VERY INTERESTED to hear from any others who may have this setup.

You can see all mods that are installed here: http://tinyurl.com/86nfuam They were all installed properly (from what I and a mechanic friend who helped me can tell) including the updated/reflashed ECU. Full disclosure: parts that were also added that aren't part of the package were MSD spark plug wires and Coil Pack.

Now with the upgrades in place and a summer to experience driving with them (car is now in storage for winter), I consistently notice the following concerning effects: When driving in a "spirited manner" for more than ~15 sec or so and accelerating hard from 3rd-5th gear I notice a STRONG burning odor (smells like fuel. In other words, not to be confused with an electrical burn smell if that helps). In addition, during (and ONLY during) this period of hard acceleration (not during normal driving), I will begin seeing black smoke from my exhaust. All of this goes away or is at least not apparent to me when driving "normally". Also to note, before doing these mods I made sure the car was all current with regular maintenance and driving it in a similar manner pre-mods, I never had any issue like this whatsoever.

After I first began noticing this issue, I followed up with Madness-Motorworks to see what the deal was. I also explained that I added the MSD wires/coil pack after receiving the re-flashed ECU and asked if that could be a factor. They didn't seem to think it would be causing this and told me what I described was "normal" because extra fuel was being used for the boost that was expected to match the new components. I found this bewildering and a bit frustrating to say the least. But while I didn't like their answer, I decided to try to just live with it. After driving with it for the remainder of the summer however, I can't help but think it isn't normal and because I'm considering making further mods in a month or so when I take it out of storage, I called a different tuner shop (I'll leave anonymous) for their opinion. They offer a similar upgrade package although they utilize the Shark Injector system instead of re-flashing the ECU. Anyway, they didn't seem to think what I was describing was normal either.

So the question goes out to all of you: What should I do about this? I just want the damn thing running lean and mean without a trail of smoke and a smell to match! I'm not out racing at a track on the weekends though I go to the occasional autocross event (not after mods yet though). I just basically wanted a "better" stock Mini that would just be that much more fun driving on the twisty, hilly roads in my area.

Old 03-07-2012 | 04:39 PM
BVTmcs
Neutral
Originally Posted by killerfox
You need to get a real tune!!! contact RMW plain and simple, he has more experience tuning these cars then anyone else. Madness is a parts supplier meaning they just sell aftermarket stuff. To put it another way, would you buy tires from the local candy store or a tire shop? Get a real Dyno tune or at least a canned tune from someone who has 400whp R53.
Thanks for the prompt reply killerfox! At this point I'm pretty open to the solution that seems like the best one to get the job done right with top quality. Am I correct interpreting RMW as http://www.revolutionmotorworks.com/ ? I notice you're located east coast as am I and RMW is in Austin, TX. Did you ship your Mini to them or go in person and stay for a while as work was done? If you don't mind describing the process a tad, I'm just curious. Did you have all mods decided upon ahead of time or did you just follow their guidance/expertise with more general goals like "make me go fast"?

Old 03-07-2012 | 08:07 PM
WayMotorWorks
Former Vendor
We do custom tunes and I can tell you that HP and Torque will vary from car to car and is very dependent on what mods you have so there is no way to just give a generic number.

Old 03-08-2012 | 05:30 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
At massmotoring club, we had a member that had a stage maddness tune/kit. Turns out it was running very lean (was a canned tune). Found out it was super lean, and had it custom tuned....
Mini's, like all forced induction motors run a bit rich too cool the motor, and prevent detonation/ping caused by hi intake temps...
Running lean is mechanicaly dangerous....can get $$$ very quick, or just short life with a burt valve in the longer term....
Since every motor is different, a canned tune is made for the worst case, a custom tune is just that, and matches the motor perfectly...
some folks gains lots, some gain very little. It is just the nature of the beast.
make sure the car is running well, all mx items are done, and maybe a compression check to see if it is worth spending $$ on a tune...

Old 03-09-2012 | 04:17 AM
killerfox
4th Gear
RMW (www.revolutionmotorworks.com) is in california. He travels all over doing "tune parties", check out this https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ct-2012-a.html
He also sells a flash tool that you can hook up to OBD2 port and load tunes. With that you can load a canned tune as well as he can remote tune your car. The flash tool allows you to load the stock tune for going to the dealer for service and then load back your performance tune after as well as get updates when you change mods. I would give them a call to discuss your goals with them. Every part they sell is tested on their street legal race car, a 400hp R53 GP.

Originally Posted by BVTmcs
Thanks for the prompt reply killerfox! At this point I'm pretty open to the solution that seems like the best one to get the job done right with top quality. Am I correct interpreting RMW as http://www.revolutionmotorworks.com/ ? I notice you're located east coast as am I and RMW is in Austin, TX. Did you ship your Mini to them or go in person and stay for a while as work was done? If you don't mind describing the process a tad, I'm just curious. Did you have all mods decided upon ahead of time or did you just follow their guidance/expertise with more general goals like "make me go fast"?

Old 03-09-2012 | 09:46 AM
Hawk 06MCS
|
2nd Gear
I would be interested in attending a "tune party" if one were held in Minnesota, Iowa or Wisconsin. I will check the web site out. Thanks for posting. My only real goal is to try to get an honest extra 50 WHP over the factory set up. Anything beyond that is just Bonus.

Old 03-10-2012 | 07:06 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
I think with basic mods that is common...most folks were getting about 200hp to the wheels....which is more than you think cause factory numbers are from the crank.
200 or 210 become many folks goals cause jcw on gen1 cars were those hp, and many folks think now they can match a jcw...fact is torque bands, etc a different cause the head work on a gen1 (minor, but still a diff), but depending on the car, the 190-210 range is common, more generaly need some more $$ parts or real tradoffs. And since an individual dyno can only be compared to itself on the same day, gains are best compared pre/post as %, not as hp...you can get a dyno to read most any ##, so a tuners numbers are only as good as his honesty.
In my tune i gained good tourqe, some hp, and tons more drivability, and netter mpg too!! Just tell the tuner what you want...relilable tune, race tune, etc....most can adjust what they do to ensure you are happy.

Old 03-10-2012 | 11:04 AM
Wheelspin
1st Gear
I'm with Hawk on an upper midwest RMW visit... Have a coworker wanting in too. Wonder how many hand raises it would take to arrange a visit...

Old 03-10-2012 | 01:47 PM
SniperDetailing
4th Gear
I'm in for an upper midwest visit. Come to Chicago or Milwaukee

Old 03-10-2012 | 06:08 PM
zamfield
3rd Gear
No chance of a VA, MD, DC dyno party?

I'd sign on for that... could even do a Tuesday!!

Old 03-11-2012 | 04:59 AM
HRM
6th Gear
First off, a good tune is so much more than peak HP/TQ numbers it is hard to explain. The entire power band is different. I had a GIAC tune prior to the RMW and I wouldn't be surprised if peak power was the same, but, it was a last minute, high RPM burst that tossed the car all over the place. Useless most of the time.

The RMW tune is smooth, hardly any brutal torque steer aside from when I am on the skinny snow tires, and even that is better than the GIAC with good tires. Power comes on at lower RPMs and that means 6th gear is not for downhill anymore. (GIAC tune 6th gear was useless for anything but maintaning speed.) 6th now is fine for normal passing at 60mph since the power is right there.

So, no matter what you gain from a tune, it will be better in ways you will enjoy with every single drive.

You can also do a remote tune with a dyno anywhere. You need the dimsport tool. Set a time and have RMW ready. Dyno the car and send the data log to RMW via email. After two or three times you can have the same service as if he was there. What you need is a dyno tuner with logging software (or you have it) to make the most of it, so it does have to be setup right.

As far as getting a tune near you, just find a dyno, call them and figure out if they are up for an event, make a post and see if you can get a crowd. If there is enough interest, you can set the dates and off you go. That's what I did last year and doing again this year.

The graph is to show how smooth the torque can be in the R53 so there isn't much drama during acceleration. It isn't about the numbers, but the smoothness you will enjoy around town while just going to the store.

Old 04-17-2012 | 02:10 PM
Mr.P
Neutral
I'd jump at the chance to attend a custom dyno tune event anywhere in the upper midwest. If anyone convinces Jan (or Way, or similar) to come to MN, WI, Iowa, Il, etc., I'll make the drive.

Old 04-17-2012 | 02:12 PM
Mr.P
Neutral
Or if anyone knows of an appropriate location for a remote tune as described by HRM above, do tell.

Old 04-19-2012 | 10:48 AM
blue2turbo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by zamfield
No chance of a VA, MD, DC dyno party?

I'd sign on for that... could even do a Tuesday!!
Check With Helix, I believe Jan (RMW) is going there in Oct? I am planning on attending the tuning party at Helix when he is there. Got a little time to get my JCW injectors and exhaust