R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Hi from the new guy

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004 | 09:57 PM
Duncan-Indi
|
1st Gear
Just got pointed to this board and wanted to intoduce myself. Picked up my Cooper S about a month ago and finally found a useful forum that isn't based in Europe!

I had a biturbo Audi S4 prior to this car and I must say it was a bit of a change to hop into a car with barely more than half the power and even less than half the torque, but I'm in love so it doesn't much matter :smile:

I actually was not even considering a Mini when I was looking at cars to replace my Audi, but when I was suffering from a lack of attention while at a BMW dealer to look at M3s I wandered into the Mini showroom and the rest is history.

Anyway, I hope I find this board to be as good as it has looked so far :smile:

Old 03-01-2004 | 10:26 PM
Thrilhouse
5th Gear
Hey Duncan-Indi, welcome to the fun, madness, and insanity, all rolled up into one enjoyable website for your convenience! You'll have a blast here, and you'll pick up some valuable information along the way. Post pics of your ride if you can, we'd love to see it!

Old 03-01-2004 | 10:52 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Old 03-01-2004 | 11:42 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
>>Just got pointed to this board and wanted to intoduce myself. Picked up my Cooper S about a month ago and finally found a useful forum that isn't based in Europe!

Duncan-indi,

Aloha and welcome to NAM. Good to hear from you. Let us know if you have a question or search since there are many topics and questions already discussed over and over.

I found MINI2.com to be good but very european oriented. Also sometimes the discussion was brief.

>>I had a biturbo Audi S4 prior to this car and I must say it was a bit of a change to hop into a car with barely more than half the power and even less than half the torque, but I'm in love so it doesn't much matter :smile:

While it is true that the Cooper S has a small engine at 1.6 liters, there is no shortage of raw power. My modded MCS is way over 200 HP and I have way too much fun driving but still get 27 mpg overall.

>>Anyway, I hope I find this board to be as good as it has looked so far :smile:
Just post or read and have fun motoring.

Old 03-02-2004 | 03:12 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
>>Just got pointed to this board and wanted to intoduce myself. Picked up my Cooper S about a month ago and finally found a useful forum that isn't based in Europe!
>>
Well duncan-Indy, you're a ding bat, dontcha know you shoulda bought a Pointiac GTO instead. Now you'll be embarassed to tell your pals at the gym that ya own a mini Wanna race?? I'll race ya......

Old 03-02-2004 | 05:12 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Welcome to: :smile: :evil: (The
many moods of NAM members.)

Godspeed.

Old 03-02-2004 | 05:18 AM
BoopedrivesmyMINI
2nd Gear
ha ha welcome to the site......i gonna have to agree pretty weird car change!

But you will soon find out the MINI aint no lil girl with a few add-ons

Old 03-02-2004 | 05:32 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Hi Duncan-Indi! I'd love to know...in order...what sucked you into MINI ownership? Was it love at first sight?? Just curious as it sounds like you had the unique experience of going in with a blank slate.

NAM is a crazy place at times but the U.S.-centric info on dealers, vendors, club scene, etc. is invaluable. It is truly a great community...in relation to all things MINI, and on a human scale, too.

Old 03-02-2004 | 07:27 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Welcome to NAM! Great to see an Audi convert! Enjoy the insanity...

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 03-02-2004 | 11:04 AM
Duncan-Indi
|
1st Gear
>>Hi Duncan-Indi! I'd love to know...in order...what sucked you into MINI ownership? Was it love at first sight?? Just curious as it sounds like you had the unique experience of going in with a blank slate.
>>

I had always enjoyed the Mini's design, and was impressed by the overal quality of the design and materials in the cabin when I hopped in one at the auto show in January. I had been considering a very wide range of cars to replace my Audi with, from a RX-8 to the old style CLK55 AMG and pretty much everything in between, but I had never once thought of the Mini as a candidate.

I wandered into the showroom just to look around, but when the saleswoman got me into a car for a test drive that changed rather rapidly. I had been reading about how great the Cooper S is since its debut, but I was still I was taken totally by surprise by just how much fun it is to drive. I've driven cars that are more involving, just as much fun, and far faster, but rarely rolled into one package. The really fast stuff leaves me bored much of the time because I can't make use of the power without giving up my license, while the other cars with a similar fun factor run turboed fours, which I love when I'm on it, but hate during normal driving. The Cooper S somehow manages to be huge fun, deliver serious pace on the right roads, along with a satisfying interior while everything else let me down somewhere.

That being said, the Cooper isn't perfect for me, I could do with a bit more grunt. Of course I'm about to fix that, so soon I think "perfect" won't be too far off :smile: