R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Rental Car Reality Check

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004 | 11:29 AM
sbgobig
4th Gear
Enterprise Rent-a-Car has MINIs.

Old 03-04-2004 | 02:26 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
>>Enterprise Rent-a-Car has MINIs.

Have any idea what cities or do you have to call Enterprise? I guess I answered my own question - probably best to call Enterprise in the city you need to rent... :smile:

Chow!

Donna

Old 03-05-2004 | 10:16 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
I work right near an Enterprise, have priced out MINI rental (they offered automatic trans only) at around 60 bucks a day, with slightly better deals for say, weekends... I should consider myself lucky ??

Actually I only chimed in here to ask VAnwall politely to watch what he says about 1960 VW microbuses - my beloved "first car" was a green '67.

cheers all,
Tatt

Old 03-05-2004 | 10:41 AM
sbgobig
4th Gear
>>>>Enterprise Rent-a-Car has MINIs.
>>
>>Have any idea what cities or do you have to call Enterprise? I guess I answered my own question - probably best to call Enterprise in the city you need to rent... :smile:
>>
>>Chow!
>>
>>Donna

They have them here in Santa Barbara and I assume throughout So Cal. Obviously they will be automatics.

Old 03-05-2004 | 12:58 PM
Vanwall
|
4th Gear
>>Actually I only chimed in here to ask VAnwall politely to watch what he says about 1960 VW microbuses - my beloved "first car" was a green '67.
>>
>>cheers all,
>>Tatt

I loved those old Type IIs! I always wanted one with safari windows!

I remember when I was shotgun in a real early Van - the ones with the single rear window about 6 inches small, and the side mirrors about as big as quarters - and my buddy was at the wheel when we tucked in right up close behind a tractor-trailer to draft going down a long straight hill. We were gonna live forever, so we sucked up as close as possible, the Microvan kinda floating up & down, the steering VERY light. We were goin' faster and faster, redlined and howling, when my pal sez, "Wow, this is the fastest I've ever gotten this thing up to! I'm gonna pass this sucker!" Something must have come over him, like temporary insanity, or a brain f**t - he backed off a little, pulled over to the left and stomped on it.

The instant we were clear of that Freuhauf, it was like a giant hand just grabbed us and pulled us backward - we both practically fell forward, I braced myself on the dash with one hand, and that semi just disappeared into the distance as that li'l flat four of ours wound down to reality. "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over!?! Uh, that wasn't too smart, man, I almost fell out the windshield!" I yelled over the whining of all those gears and the popping of the VW, "Sorry, man we were going so fast, I figured momentum would carry us past!" He must have honestly believed that. I didn't have the heart to call him what I really shoulda, so I told him - "I don't think the words momentum and Microbus have anything to do with each other. Don't EVER do that again." Loved that little bread box!

BCNU,
Rob in Dago

Old 03-05-2004 | 02:29 PM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
>>>>Enterprise Rent-a-Car has MINIs.
>>
>>Have any idea what cities or do you have to call Enterprise? I guess I answered my own question - probably best to call Enterprise in the city you need to rent... :smile:
>>
>>Chow!
>>
>>Donna

Sure am glad all us MINI owners are not a collection of intellectually-challenged-individuals.......Donna, you come across as being almost as smart as me....who loses his wallet, keys, pen, notebook, cellphone, etc. etc. etc. practically on a daily basis......

Old 03-10-2004 | 07:15 PM
Vanwall
|
4th Gear
Well, the Rental Car Reality Check continues. After swapping the Impala for an Alero, which was a slightly better car, but nuthin' to write home about, I've come to the realization that the MINI is irreplaceable as a road car. The difference in the driving experiences between the MINI and the others is kinda like the latest Hubble pic - it'll be 13 billion years, at least, before the light from this day reaches those galaxies all the way across the universe before I buy another domestic car, unless they change utterly. The Alero only reinforced my impressions of weak design, poor roadholding, flimsy feel. I had vowed to keep driving it just to get it over with, but thankfully, the Alero was unable to hold air in the left rear, so I swapped it out yet again, this time for a Toyota.

Anyone who complains the MINI interior is too plastic should be strapped down with duct tape inside one of these with their eyelids taped open, and forced to look at the unutterably BAD interior. Preferably on a hot day, so the wonderful smell of decaying plastic can assault their nostrils as well. And don't gimme that apples and oranges thing - I'll compare 'em to the '63 Connie as domestics examples, AND to the MINI as a basic design philosophy that is meant to be enjoyed, not merely tolerated.

To make matters worse, I'm seeing other MINIs on the road every day! Ack!

BCNU,
Rob in Dago

Old 03-10-2004 | 08:17 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
Anyone who complains the MINI interior is too plastic should be strapped down with duct tape inside one of these with their eyelids taped open, and forced to look at the unutterably BAD interior. Preferably on a hot day, so the wonderful smell of decaying plastic can assault their nostrils as well.
didn't they use that as a torture device in A Clockwork Orange??
(channeling Sam Kinneson) OH! OH!

Hopefully Brooksie will be home soon. The best part of getting her back will be your first ride in her - it feels like taking delivery all over again! You'll have more PermaGrin than usual for weeks after!

Jenn

Old 03-11-2004 | 04:55 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
Another rental car moron story.....so I am travelling in Europe and ALL set to rent a couple of MINI's courtesy of Mother (Company I work for). Problem being, as I am picking up the car in London, I realize I have er misplaced my license. I beat them out of a car anyways but they have not assigned me a MINI and I am too worried to argue the point so I settle for some Vauxhall. Well, I will definetely get one in Milan, get on the web site, look myself up, make SURE it specifies a MINI. Get to the counter at Malpensa airport, your license sir? Oh I forgot it, but I am a Gold/Titanium Super Platinum customer...Tough s...t the lady says (or words to that effect) here in Italy, you can be God almighty, no license no car.......120 dollar ride later I get to my hotel.....GRRRRRRR :evil: