R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Sick rides

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012 | 08:15 PM
Harley9703
|
Neutral
Sick rides

Here's my newbi thread with a few questions in it

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...i-love-hp.html

If nothing else I'll tell you why I like hp, and have decided on a mini

DD "beater" is a '94 aspire and it doesn't click with the other rides in te stable.

Drag truck, '03 F-150 Harley Davidson, 430/450tq with a few bolt ins and a best of 13.1 with horrid traction.

The 4x4 is under huge construction right now, for the same drivetrain, just nothing untouched, unsure on numbers but in the 550/650tq range after the squeeze.

And the muscle, bored +20 over 429/c6/9"

Any info you guys could answer in my first post would determine if I squeeze all the hp I can out of this little 4 banger!

Thanks again

Old 05-07-2012 | 09:06 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Harley you need to be more specific with your MINI. They have afterall been in the US for 10 years now, there's multiple models of two different generations of new MINI's.

If you dont have one yet, and you are looking for maximum power output a MINI is the wrong place to start. But if you must get a MINI and plan on droping A TON of $$$ to get the power you want (Judging from your other toys) STAY away from anything newer than a 2006. The R56 (2007+) just cant do it. Your best bet in my oppinion would be to fimd an '05 or '06 "S" and go from there.

There are MINI's that have been built in the 400-600 HP range. Most where converted from the supercharger to a turbo to do it, and most of those suffered enough failure that not manny do it anymore. There is another way to get into the 400+ HP MINI club though, but plan on spending about $25K-$30K on just the engine and Rotrex supercharger it is going to take to get that power relyably.

Getting 200 HP out of a good stock 1st gen car with a couple bolt on's is reletivly easy, the cheap and easy stops there though. Most never make it past 250 HP before they give up, or just say thats enough.

MINI's have never been much of a drag car. They are all about handling, and having fun in anything other than a straight line. There are quite a fewthat run in the mid to low 14's and even some with a full interior that will make an honest 13 second pass (at sea level). All of the people I have seen with the high HP setups though wont get their car anywhere near a drag strip though, so who knows. (The ABF Drag car, which was purpose built ran in the mid 10's)

Either way welcome to the forum, there are still a few here that know how to get real power from the MINI.

BTW, Nice XML's on that F150!

Old 05-08-2012 | 08:49 AM
Harley9703
|
Neutral
53" xzl's "their wider" those will be the street set, the mud pits will get some 64" tractor tires... Haha like I said though its under a little construction...

The motor I'm fixen to put together for it.

Thanks for answering some of my questions, it'll definantly give me a place to start looking...

My plans aren't to drag the mini lol, it'll be my daily driver, I just plan on it being quicker than the next one on the road beside me.

I see you can add boost with a few different pulley options.
Can or has anyone ported the m45 blower? I've never had one in my hands to see how much it can actually be opened up.

Prior '06 is more in my spending range as well. The ones I had been looking at we're the s/c models in the 7-9k range.

Thanks again

Old 05-08-2012 | 11:26 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
There hve been a few who ported the M45 but there is minimal to no gain from it. WAY MOTORWORKS still offers this service as an option when rebuilding the S/C I believe.

The reduction pullies are and have been the #1 mod to the R53 MINIs since 2002. Chances are good of finding one on your car when you buy it. The JCW models have a standard reduction of right around 12% over the standard "S" models. This 12% reduction was tested by them to bring the S/C to it's maximum RPM limmit with the engine turning at 7K RPM. Most people opt for the 15% reduction pullies because if you go much smaller, you are starting to be more counter productive in adding performance. Heat is the big power killer on MINIs, and in prolonged high RPM opperation with the 17% and 19% pullies things get HOT quick, and you will see power take a dive.

There are also A LOT of BS engine mods on the market that do little to nothing for performance if they dont even make power go down. Some of theese mods can be quite pricey and not even make a noticable differance, so beware and take the advice of people who have been there and done that or you could be out some major $$$ on junk.

Any 2002-2006 MINI S in good shape is a great place to start. The ones prior to late 2004 do have a different transmission, with gears that for some are too tall. At the same time they switched some of the engine mounts to a different design, and all the "S" models got the JCW S/C but with the standard pulley. (The JCW blower has a heat resistant coating on the rotors, and they are a little better.) There are also some other differances throughout the car. The JCW models or car's with the factory JCW kit, have a different head (Really not much improovement over standard) and 380cc/min (Standard is 340cc/min) injectors but that was enough to bump the factory HP rating to 205 (207 on later models) when combined with the JCW sized pulley (It came with the kit, or option package).

Hope that gives you a little more info than you already know.