R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Overheating in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 07:00 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
The thermostat probabily should get swapped out at the flush due to corossion, but if it was stuck, the fan would still run, but the water would be prevented from getting to the radiator...so it would feel cold/cool...and the fan would still run...from the ac, and from the computer telling it to turn on from the water temp...

Old 06-13-2012, 07:43 PM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can usually tell if the thermostat is open by CAREFULLY feeling the upper radiator hose when the engine is hot. If the thermostat is open and allowing hot coolant to flow thru it, the upper hose will be HOT to touch. Use caution not to burn your self, and keep your fingers away from the fan. Gently touch the hose to see if hot coolant is flowing thru.

Jason

Old 06-13-2012, 08:58 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would not suspect the thermostat since you know the fan is not turning on. You need to find out way the fan is not turning on such as the Power Steering fan has siezed causing the radiator fan not to work. With the car off, jack it up and try spinning the power steering fan by hand. You might even be able to reach the PS fan without jacking the car up.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, so if I am understanding this correctly:

1) Check to see if my power steering fan is operational. Try spinning it by hand and check its fuses.

2) If it isn't, unplug it and this should let my cooling fan work (assuming I don't also have to replace the assembly).

3) I should do a coolant flush/fill and replace my power steering fan ASAP.

Am I doing it right?

I'll check into this stuff later today. Thanks!

Old 06-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
Alright! Progress!

Went out and checked over fuses again. Sure enough, there was a little 5A that I had missed. And, of course, it was blown.

Then I jacked up the car a bit and tried spinning my power steering fan. No dice. Was completely jammed up and it took a bit to get it spinning at all. So I disconnected it.

If I am understanding things correctly, I should have fixed my fan issues already. I figure I'll do the coolant flush and fill now, while the car's up, before I try her out.

Related question: How important is the power steering fan? For that matter -- how would I go about disabling my power steering? I'm honestly quite inclined to do so (if possible) because I'm used to driving cars without it and I hate the whine my system has.

Is there a way to disconnect power steering but leave all the hardware intact (in case I change my mind later, or go to sell the car)?

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:58 PM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
The PS fan does serve a purpose, BUT on the cars with the updated wiring many people drive for years with a dead fan and don't even know. It's probably a little harder on the pump motor, but that's about it.

I'd highly recommend against trying to disable the power steering. The system is designed to have that level of assist. Having driven a MINI without a functioning pump, it's not that great. I'd hate to think of what might happen if I would've had to make an emergency avoidance maneuver. The non-assisted steering is very heavy and sluggish. Nothing like a non-assisted steering setup that's designed to be non-assisted.

Jason

Old 06-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
OK, just finished a coolant flush. That was totally more complicated than it should have been. Who leaves off a radiator drain plug? Germans, that's who.

Drove the car around. Still not hearing the fan come on at all, even with the fuse replaced and the power steering fan removed.

So, it looks like I'm buying a new fan assembly and a new power steering fan...

Fan assembly I have found for about 90 bucks. Power steering fan is pricey... Anyone know of a spot that sells them for less than $160? Or is there a way to clean mine up?

Edit: I'm going to order parts tomorrow. Should I add a thermostat to the list, just in case?

Last edited by Spraypaint; 06-14-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:46 AM
DailyDrivenMini
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to check for the physical well being of the fan itself, turn your AC on. As the AC clutch engages the fan should turn on as most modern vehicles do.

Start your vehicle and warm it up, then turn on the AC, don't need to be blowing full blast. Just turn it on. Listen to the engine bay as you engage the AC on. You may hear a tick along with loud fan turning on.

If you don't hear the fan turning on soon that means your fan is likely out.

In terms of PS fan, Mini has the electric power steering pump which the electric motor turns the PS pump. That motor is doing a lot, needs cooling. Last time I checked the PS pump was $450 for refurbished. I don't want to know how much dealer or a shop will charge for it. Get that fan running, you will be forking over more than $450.

Here you go $126+ shipping,
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...oling_fan.html

Old 06-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
Alright, sounds like I'm gonna have to do it.

Guess I'll be working a bit extra this month to fund some car repairs. Not such a bad trade-off, really.

So are people confident that if I replace the fan assembly and my power steering fan then I'll be back to normal and ready for the summer heat and traffic?

Thanks again.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:47 AM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
I personally wouldn't spend money on a fan assembly until you've verified actual temps. Now that you've replaced the fuse, it's possible that the high speed fan is once again functional, but the low speed isn't due to a bad resistor. This would explain why there's no fan with the AC on, as that uses the low speed setting if I remember correctly. It takes quite a bit of idle time before it gets hot enough to kick on the high speed.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
I am inclined to agree with you -- except I don't really have easy access to a scangauge and don't want to spend too much time figuring this out. Right now, the car is still being driven to and from work and so I don't want any chance problems. Might be easier to just replace the whole assembly and be sure.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:06 AM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lant-leak.html

Scroll down to post #15.
This will show you how to access the on board display of the coolant temp.

Jim

Old 06-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
Good to know!

I'll try that out. Right now my little display on the tach isn't showing anything. Wonder if that's a blown fuse as well...

Old 06-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Spraypaint
3rd Gear
Just giving my thread a little bump...

Ordered myself a couple hundred bucks worth of parts the other day. Time to fix this issue and do a little tune-up while I'm at it.

<> Cooling fan assembly (how-to: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...placement.html, alternate: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-assembly.html)
<> Power steering fan (http://www.billswebspace.com/MiniR53PSPFanDuctDIY.htm)
<> Thermostat (how-to: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hermostat.html)
<> Spark plugs
<> Wires
<> Oil and filter (how-to below)
<> Cabin Air filter (how-to below)

Figured I'd include links just in case anyone else was having this issue and was using this thread as reference. Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Will update thread once the problem is solved.

Last edited by Spraypaint; 06-20-2012 at 04:01 PM.