R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Painting a 2006

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:08 AM
audiodef
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting a 2006

I'm posting this here because there might be procedures related to the 2006 MINI that are specific to that year (remove this or that, etc.).

How do I paint it? From looking up general information about DIY auto painting, I'm led to believe it is not difficult. I'd like to hear from anyone else who has painted their own MINI, especially a 2006 or even a 1st gen of any kind. I think ideally I should remove certain parts, such as the trim. I've never done this before but I'm good with mechanical/handyman stuff.

Psst... I don't mean touching up. I tried that, with terrible results. I just want to repaint the entire body a single color.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:12 AM
clutch6425
1st Gear
just take your time. it is a long project and bad things happen if you try to rush.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I paint almost on a daily basis, although not cars. It's all in your prep!

Old 09-24-2012, 09:39 AM
clutch6425
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Jack & Coke
I paint almost on a daily basis, although not cars. It's all in your prep!
awesome, good to hear. base coat is most important in my opinion (prep) like you said

Old 09-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
....also certain colors are better for a first timer.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 AM
audiodef
2nd Gear
I definitely plan to work conscientiously and take plenty of time. I'm glad I already have a cover for the car, since I don't have a garage.

What colors are better for a first-timer? Thus far, I'm thinking of either a sunny yellow or a deep purple.

Any advice on removing trim or other parts for the purpose of painting?

Old 09-24-2012, 11:11 AM
daflake
6th Gear
I'm assuming you have the proper tools for all of this? Also, leaving a car outside when painting is asking for contaminates to get embedded in the paint.

Auto painting is not like painting a house, especially if you are looking for a good finish. It is a skilled task and not something that should be done without proper training and tools.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:48 AM
audiodef
2nd Gear
My in-laws have a garage I'm sure they will let me use, but it would have to be done in a day. Can a coat of paint be applied and dried within one day + overnight?

As far as I was able to initially discern, the most important tool for a decent DIY job would be a good compressor to apply the paint. I'm not looking for a "super-hot, ultra-pro" job, just a decent one.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 AM
tremperj
4th Gear
You could always work on your skills in vinyl wrapping, which is much more easily reversible, and then wrap your car. Example:

This guy wrapped his car in Matte White.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:58 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by audiodef
My in-laws have a garage I'm sure they will let me use, but it would have to be done in a day. Can a coat of paint be applied and dried within one day + overnight?

As far as I was able to initially discern, the most important tool for a decent DIY job would be a good compressor to apply the paint. I'm not looking for a "super-hot, ultra-pro" job, just a decent one.
Seriously, if you are asking these questions and you don't have a place to do this properly then you need to take it to someone. Painting is not hard, but it does require a clean place, prep and proper tools to even look decent.

Last edited by daflake; 09-24-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:32 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Painting a car in the in-laws garage = recipe for mad in-laws. Unless you plan to cover their entire garage in plastic sheeting or not have an over-spray.

Then you have issues of painting the door jambs, rocker panels, how many coats to apply, how many clear coats to apply, having proper ventilation, etc.

Of course, you could do like the owners of a 1990-ish Pontiac I saw a few years back... paint it with a paint brush.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by daflake
Seriously, if you are asking these questions and you don't have a place to do this properly then you need to take it to someone. Painting is not hard, but it does require a clean place, prep and proper tools to even look decent.

I have to agree with this post. Any dark color paint will show every imperfection of your prep work. Yellow can be tricky to spray since it's very translucent. At the end of the day, anyone can paint a car. Do you know how to wet sand and buff it after you paint it?

I would just take it to one of those cheap paint places. Paint alone is very $$$ these days. Not cheap like it used to be. You need a decent gun as well. I would't use a cheap harbor freight gun.

I don't know I really don't want to be a downer, but this sounds a little over your head. Just trying to keep it real. If you are going to paint it, you 100% need to paint it indoors. You can also wet the floor so you don't get dust all over the car. It will be there even after sweeping.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 PM
audiodef
2nd Gear
It doesn't sound over my head to me, but you guys have certainly given me the correct things to think about, including an appropriate place to apply the paint, which I am definitely lacking. I don't want a cheap paint job, even at a "professional" place, as I've heard those can go horribly wrong, and I can't afford a top-notch professional paint job, for which I've heard nothing less than $3000.

The wrapping idea sounds like a viable alternative, but not really a cheap one, even if I DIY. I'll have to look into it.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by audiodef
It doesn't sound over my head to me, but you guys have certainly given me the correct things to think about, including an appropriate place to apply the paint, which I am definitely lacking. I don't want a cheap paint job, even at a "professional" place, as I've heard those can go horribly wrong, and I can't afford a top-notch professional paint job, for which I've heard nothing less than $3000.

The wrapping idea sounds like a viable alternative, but not really a cheap one, even if I DIY. I'll have to look into it.
You can find a place to wrap a MINI for under 2k

Have you even priced paint? I don't paint cars, so I lack experience in that aspect. I paint signs and funny enough I do it in a spray booth for cars. Clean environment with suction and temperature control and weird shizzle happens with paint all the time. Nature of the beast. Different colors spray totally different. Base coats totally change the final appearance of the finished products.

Car painters can chime in. I know they sell like a "one shot" type of paint. Have no idea how that will turn out. Some of the cheap places can do a great paint job. Where it gets $$$$ is all the prep. If you deliver them a car that has been totally stripped down you can get a great paint job for an outstanding price. No matter how well you tape stuff up those paint jobs always turn out like dog doodoo! take the time and strip the car down. Buy a DA sander and get that sucker ready for paint. Just another option.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:16 PM
audiodef
2nd Gear
Hm, I like the idea of doing the stripping myself. That should save some money.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:16 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
I suggest you do all the prep work...strip off the trim, remove the glass, etc, then have it flatbedded to a shop with a spraybooth....
Trying to diy a paintjob is pretty high up on the skill list....think drips, etc....so since 90% of a paint job is labour, you can do MOST of it, and just pay a 3rd party to spray it.
a garage, with a floor wetted to control dust and TONS OF PLASIC, ON THE WALLS AND CEILING might work....but a few specs of dust....a bug....you get the pic.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:58 PM
audiodef
2nd Gear
That's an excellent idea. Thanks!

Old 09-25-2012, 01:37 AM
clutch6425
1st Gear
Originally Posted by tremperj
You could always work on your skills in vinyl wrapping, which is much more easily reversible, and then wrap your car. Example:

This guy wrapped his car in Matte White.
vinyl isnt cheap though. love it when it comes out good and would love to do it to mine but ya isnt very cheap at all.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:00 AM
tremperj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by clutch6425
vinyl isnt cheap though. love it when it comes out good and would love to do it to mine but ya isnt very cheap at all.
It isn't cheap, but neither is good paint. A mediocre wrap job looks better than a mediocre paint job any day of the week. And if you mess up a panel? Peel it off and start over. Or if you go the professional route, $2k will get you an amazing piece of work. A $2k paint job will be pretty mediocre.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:19 PM
DailyDrivenMini
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I painted my own mini.

It is a job.

Paint costs a lot more than you think. I spent around $200+ on paint alone and I also bought:

Respirator
Paint Gun $50
Moisture Filter $10
Reducer $40
Sand Papers $50
Primers 1k $50
Sanding Block $30
Buffer $60
Buffing Pads $50
Compounds $80

That is all I can think of for now.

I already had 20Gal compressor.

You can do it in your garage but it is a lotta work. It does take some practice to achieve the finesse to lay the clear flat.

In a nut shell, you scuff the painted surface down with gray pad until you have absolutely NO shine through the paint job, wipe it down and run over every surface with Tack cloth. Of course all this after removing all the trims and such. Mask everything where you don't want the paint to go; Meaning every small little holes where air will flow through, paint will flow through.

Then, prime, base, and clear it.

Once clear sets, you will see more imperfection as the clear coat shrinks. You will have to color sand/wet sand using 1500 then 2000, cut with rubbing compound then polish. Only then you can apply wax after a month.

Would I do it again? Yes. Black is the worst color to paint with. White is probably the easiest color to paint with.

Once you put the primer coat over the existing color, you don't need to worry about the color coming through.