R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 my friend is crazy...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004 | 02:14 AM
CooperS53
|
2nd Gear
you guys won't believe what i heard today, my friend's cousin just challenged me to a race (sort of). I was bragging about the mini-handling (not downgrading any other cars, just bragging about minis) and he stepped in and said "my mustang will outhandle your car any day" and it went on and on for like 15 minutes until he finally said ok let's goto stunt rd (he's never been on it, and i've went only once), the deal is he follows me and he wants me to "try" and follow him... those were his words, it was sooo funny hearing those words come out of his mouth...now of course the mustang is no slouch when it comes to which will pull faster up hill, but handling... no contest (unless i'm completely overestimating the mini [i think not])... but anyways i ended up telling him that my driving skills aren't up to par with the mini's handling abilities so i'd rather not yet, naturally i'm the sissy but i'm okay with that becuase i know what's what... here's the crazy part... i mentioned that i can't drive it and he said it doesn't matter, "you stick anyone in the driver's seat and i'll outhandle them, i wasn't doubting your skills, i was doubting your car's" and then i'm like woa??? is this guy for real... so in the end he said he'll challenge anyone of the "mini-ers" on any road and he says he'll win for sure, i figured peter would kill him becuase of the experience but it's not my place to make challenges for people i only know through internet so the challenge remained as is... his mustang against anyone who wishes to shut him up, now i would but i don't want to risk an accident trying to push my car that i don't know yet just to prove a point, especially when someone with experience can do it much better with little or no-risk involved... of course i'm not supporting illegal activity so i suggested to set up cones in a closed area and see who can manuever their way through them better/faster (of course it won't be professional) but then still experience comes into play and i have non (he has about 1.5 years track experience) which is nothing i know and yes that's one and a half years not 15...

basically he's either tooo hyped up about his car, or tooo negatively-hyped up (couldn't think of a word) about the mini... i would love for someone to show him up but only safe and legally of course

i know the big socal/norcal thing is going on this sunday so no canyons so i gues i'll tell him to go practice before-hand but what do you guys think i should do? of course an accident or worse is not worth bragging rights so i am trying to convince him to take it to a track... even then i have no experience but then at least it's safe and stuff...

p.s. he has an eibach (spelling?) drop and that's it, it's an 03 GT convertible... I KNOW!! WHAT IS HE THINKING!!!!

Old 04-10-2004 | 02:25 AM
Mini_Street_Racer
4th Gear
make him take this to the track. Your bud in the G35 wasn't pushing it either and he almost spun. it would be a shame for your bud to wash off the edge of stunt trying to keep up with you...
if he does spin out on the track, or god forbid you spin out, the only thing hurt will be pride. (and bank account)

Old 04-10-2004 | 02:35 AM
CooperS53
|
2nd Gear
i know, but i just DON'T understand what he's thinking, doesn't he know mustangs are built for one thing a straight line???

no offense to mustang owners but that's all it is in my eyes, and i may not know the facts, but i know one of my friends lost control on dry asphault on a left turn no traffic or anything and ended up in a house... and another one pulled out after a rainy day and made a left and somehow his super-ford svt handling directed himself around a pole, but then it was a defect right ? even if we go to the track, i think it'll be more me being scared that will cause me to lose, which is why the challenge is up for grabs for whoever wants to take his pride and smoosh it... ( is smoosh a word?)

the reason i got so worked up is he told me SMG is automatic, which automatically told me that he was a retard... his basis was that SMG had a torque-converter so it was auto, and from my research it does NOT have one, but this is off-topic, this is the same stupidity that is saying the mustang will outhandle the mini... he's also boasting a 1:27 on willow springs (not him, a friend of his in a mustang)

Old 04-10-2004 | 02:45 AM
Mini_Street_Racer
4th Gear
I don't doubt he's probably a good driver. RFIbanez is a pretty good driver in his mustang. an even better one in the MINI. If he knows how to handle his 'stang he'll probably get decent times... but do consider for a moment when the 2 of you are competing, if he falls behind and decides to push beyond his abilities, better it just be his pride that's bruised. Since you've ran in a pack before, you know what it feels like in a togue run. (inline, running) it feels fast if you're behind catching up, and faster still if someone is behind pushing.

Better be safe than sorry. 'sides, no spectators in a togue/ canyon run. If you hand him a loss on the track, there will be more of us to heckle him if he loses.

Old 04-10-2004 | 02:53 AM
Mini_Street_Racer
4th Gear
you know what? Amir, I think you can take him on the Streets of willow. As soon as we can organize a track day. he's yours...

Old 04-10-2004 | 03:13 AM
CooperS53
|
2nd Gear
i have no experience whatsoever but i'd love to go and try it out, and i just got an extra 100 bux lyin around how soon?

i'm thinking tomorrow, but we all know that's not happening
how much are the driving school classes? or how much does peter charge if he does that (randy said he's a good teacher)

Old 04-10-2004 | 04:09 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
>>i have no experience whatsoever but i'd love to go and try it out, and i just got an extra 100 bux lyin around how soon?
>>
>>i'm thinking tomorrow, but we all know that's not happening
>>how much are the driving school classes? or how much does peter charge if he does that (randy said he's a good teacher)

Settle at the track only and kick his butt. of course the other thing you could do pretty cheaply is go to an autocross.....no big deal money wise and REALLY kick his butt......thinking on it, at an autocross event it might be like taking candy from a baby

Old 04-10-2004 | 04:18 AM
xslugbug
1st Gear
When you say a track day on the "Streets of Willow" where are you refering to? I say this because I have a racetrack very near me called Willow Springs and if you get a track day lined up I'd like to come out.

Old 04-10-2004 | 06:27 PM
CooperS53
|
2nd Gear
i don't know, i know streets of willow is the one in willow springs (makes sense), and i know my mini will outhandle his mustang, and i know i'm too inexperienced to drive it hard enough to the limits even on a track, so i know i'm going to need practice before hand

but all in all, i'd love to shut him up with his super-mustang-pride...

Old 04-10-2004 | 06:43 PM
lotsie
Banned
have a track near by,,should I??? the highway is good
but running the car hard WOULD be fun
back roads are cover'd buy insurance

Old 04-10-2004 | 11:44 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Take it to the track (a track with lots of turns) for a high performance driver's ed. It's safe and valid. By your 3rd run, if not sooner, you should be outhandling/outperforming him.

I participated in a track day at Lime Rock in CT. I was in the novice group, I'd done one track day last fall. Most in the novice group have not been out more than an average of 4 times. There were 13 MINI's in the novice group. A few of us did really well, though in general all of the MINI's did well. O.K., throughout the 4 runs of the day, I passed many powerful cars, including a Camaro, Lotus Espirit, and a Corvette Z06!

Lime Rock track map:

http://www.limerock.com/trackinfo_maps.htm

Get your braggart buddy to a track and show him what you can do. You'll do far better than you imagined with an instructor in the passenger's seat coaching you. O.K. so he'll have an instructor, too. But so did those guys in the powerful cars that I passed. If he has substantially more experience than you, get one of your MINI buddies who runs in an intermediate level to show him up.

In any case, I highly recommend HPDE to anyone who likes driving. It is thrilling, challenging, exhausting and educational. You will be a better driver in every day situations.

Have fun and good luck!

Old 04-11-2004 | 12:39 AM
rfibanez
Banned
>>p.s. he has an eibach (spelling?) drop and that's it, it's an 03 GT convertible... I KNOW!! WHAT IS HE THINKING!!!!

Stock for stock the MINI will kill his mustang in the twisties. If all he has is springs and he thinks he can beat you then he must be an idiot. A stock honda civic will out handle his Mustang if it only has eibach springs. The convertable top doesn't help either...he will need A LOT more then springs to even hang with a stock mini. I have a classic mustang and it handles like a boat, but I can still beat other cars in the corners (but I'm getting new springs/shocks/strut braces for the mustang soon

Sometimes the things other mustang owners do makes me feel ashamed to be a fellow stang owner.

Old 04-11-2004 | 12:40 AM
rfibanez
Banned
>>i know the big socal/norcal thing is going on this sunday so no canyons

The meet was on Saturday...but theres going to be an after party meet at VCR on Sunday I believe :smile:

Heres some info on the next track day at Willow Springs.

Next Event: Willow Springs Raceway, May 29-30 2004

Entry Deadline: May 22, 2004

http://touringcarclub.com/events/Events_Next.shtml

Old 04-11-2004 | 03:59 AM
AppleCello
4th Gear
Why dont you just hand him a sheet with some professionally recorded stats on the t wo cars. Go search out the the different track tests for the two cars that have been done by various magazines and show him whats what.

patrick

Old 04-11-2004 | 12:12 PM
CooperS53
|
2nd Gear
because he's an idiot, i would love to show him numbers and shut him up, but all he says is "you won't be able to keep up with me, your car doesn't make enough power to scare you" and i thought to myself, it makes enough power to go into a turn fast and it is stable enough to keep me safe, his car on the otherhand is unstable and would scare the crap out of me if i was in it, but he's all talk, he states that he will beat the sTi's and the EVOs and a bunch of other cars too, he's only 18 i don't knwo what he's thinking, but whatever, may 29th it is...

i just got back from VCR, nobody was there, except randy and steve, so i took a little cruise on stunt with my g35 bud and a 330ci... was fun, didn't go nearly as fast this time as last time (cause last time i was trying to keep up with the other 3 minis in front)...

yup, i'm definately signing up, as soon as i get another 200 bux, do i have to use the celica for the driving school or can i use my car? or should i even use my car (major abuse i would assume)

Old 04-11-2004 | 04:00 PM
CooperS53
|
2nd Gear
can anyone comment on the fastlane driving school? way worth it or not? do i get any tracktime (time-trials) on top of the school? or do i just get 2 days of training?

and what do u guys think? use my mini or use their celica? that would be a lot of stress on my brakes etc... but i would love to learn this stuff in my own car... i guess warranty covers everything that could possibly fail except tires...

Old 04-11-2004 | 07:23 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Yeah, you'll leave some rubber behind, use your brakes a little faster than you would otherwise, and get terrible fuel consumption, but it won't hurt your car.

Old 04-11-2004 | 11:28 PM
CooperS53
|
2nd Gear
would you guys recommend using my car or the celica? and if i use my car and my brakes do go out sooner, aren't they under warranty? (that's what the dealership told me)

and if i do lose rubber, how much mileage are we talking? like if it's daily driven from then on, how much longer would they last (got 2000 miles so far) and how much is a new set...

funny how it switched from mustang guy to tires but i'm a curious guy, is this supposed to be the day with the rematch or is it just an open track day? any special events going on?

Old 04-11-2004 | 11:35 PM
rfibanez
Banned
Dont worry about your car, one track day won't do much harm at all. Plus your MCS is fairly new so it still has new brakes :smile: If you use the celica then you can't beat your friends mustang with your mini. Plus you wont have to push your mini that hard, the race against that tang will be a walk in the park

Old 04-12-2004 | 01:07 AM
CooperS53
|
2nd Gear
good to know, will anyone else be heading out over there? and it's 2-days by the way ...

after the training do i get to go on the track alone?

do they have slalom?