R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 X-Pel Headlight Protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 02:34 AM
Nick_T.
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlamp assemblies are very expensive and are susceptible to breakage from flying road debris. X-Pel offers shields for MINI headlamps with and without headlamp washers. $43.95 for shields for the headlamps, signal lights, and fog lights.

These shields are fairly easy to install, but it is very important that you read and follow the instructions exactly! Make sure that the glass is absolutely clean and wax free by cleaning with a water/alcohol mixture and be sure that your hands and fingers remain wet with the water/alcohol while installing the shields. No matter how careful you are when you squeegee the excess wetting solution from under the shields there will be some remaining hazing. Not to worry, it will disappear in 2-6 weeks.

A note of caution if you have headlamp washers: although both shields appear to be symmetrical from top to bottom, they are not! It would be very easy to put the left side cover upside down on the right side! I recommend that before you even start the installation you lay the cover on a sheet of 8.5x11 paper, trace the outline, and use your kindergarten scissoring skills to carefully cut out a template. Reverse your template on the shield and you’ll see that the washer protrusion is about 3/16’’ above center. Now put your paper template on one of the headlamps carefully aligning the top and bottom edges, then check to see if the washer protrusion matches the curve in the template. The X-Pel is too stiff to do this easily without the paper template. Once you are sure which shield is for the which lamp, then mark the paper backing of the shield showing left or right lamp and which end is the top.

I’ve had X-Pel on my Z3’s lights for about a year and a half and am very pleased with them - - they’re almost impossible to see and I haven’t yet had a broken light assembly.

Old 04-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Nick_T.
4th Gear
Last night I forgot to say that there are also two 4" circles in the X-Pel kit. Are these the right size for the factory driving lights?

Old 04-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>Last night I forgot to say that there are also two 4" circles in the X-Pel kit. Are these the right size for the factory driving lights?

Exactly! They are for the driving lights.

I just put on the Xpel covers today and was suprised how easily the installation went. Do everything Nick_T has said and things will go well.

A couple of additional tips per the instruction sheet:

(1) Turn on the lights you are about to cover so the surface can warm up.

(2) Use a hair dryer to warm the Xpel material before applying it. The material will become more flexible when heated.

(3) When you apply the material to a headlight, align it carefully (use Nick_T's idea of the template to practice aligning the shape just right). Once it is aligned press the center of the material to center of the headlight first to hold it in place. Now get the hairdryer in one hand and the supplied squeegee in the other and smooth out the material from the center to the edges. Keep the hair dryer's stream focused on the area you are working. I woketd from the center out in a clockwise patten around the light.

I found out I was a little late for my left turn signal lense...a crack had already appeared. I just covered it up with the Xpel!

Theo

Old 04-10-2004, 06:49 PM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
Are you guys talking about the 3M material one can buy from Mini Mania? i've got the kit and am waiting for a non-moronic day to tackle the job....I think when it is warmer here in the Tundra.......gorgeous today though....like high of 50 and clear sunny skies......

Old 04-10-2004, 09:23 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they are talking about the Xpel kits that Ryan has at autoclearguard.com

I used a heatlamp to heat up the headlight and the protector itself.
The protector became very soft (and nice) to enable a quick fit onto the
headlight. I wasn't fond of the ideal of keeping the headlites lit while
draining the battery.

On mine, there was a small 1/2" diameter hazing that lasted 3months
before it went away!

Old 04-10-2004, 11:21 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
>>I used a heatlamp to heat up the headlight and the protector itself.
>>The protector became very soft (and nice) to enable a quick fit onto the
>>headlight. I wasn't fond of the ideal of keeping the headlites lit while
>>draining the battery.
>>
>>On mine, there was a small 1/2" diameter hazing that lasted 3months
>>before it went away! :smile:

Old 04-10-2004, 11:46 PM
Nick_T.
4th Gear
PKT RKT - - The X-Pel product does use a 3M material, but I don’t know if it’s the same product sold by MiniMania or AutoClearGuard.com.

I do recommend waiting for a fairly warm day to do the installation. I did my first one on a 60° day and it was difficult to keep the plastic sufficiently flexible with a hair dryer.

Old 04-11-2004, 06:02 PM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
Thanks Nick T!! I shall wait for a hot day......august maybe the way things are going around here.... :evil: I want summer....NOW!

Old 04-11-2004, 06:53 PM
Nick_T.
4th Gear
PKT_RKT - - even on a hot day you'll need the hair dryer to soften the plastic.

Old 04-11-2004, 07:13 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have them, they're great! The hazing on mine also lasted months and months, so those of you yet to do it, don't get frustrated. It will go away!!!

Old 04-11-2004, 09:46 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
btw, when you apply the protector over the lenses, don't use your fingers to
push out the air and water bubbles...it will swirl the surface (light scratch).
Use a squeegee only.

Afterwards, apply some polymer wax to make the surface slippery.
I use the new NXT TechWax from Meguiar's (even available at Target). :smile: