R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Group buy on cravenspeed dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013 | 10:52 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cruzer214
The one pic is from cravenspeed website and the other is what I received. You can clearly tell its a different design which is probably why it doesn't fit snug.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring
Did you get the right one? The one you show looks more like the R53 stick?

Old 05-21-2013 | 06:24 AM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mark97xp
Is that a yes cause i was charged $6
Yes, using the link, shipping is free.

Old 05-21-2013 | 07:24 AM
Mark97xp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
Yes, using the link, shipping is free.
Just got off the phone with WMW and he pretty much said everybody is wrong regarding the free shipping
Im like whatever, six bucks isn't that big a deal i guess

Old 05-21-2013 | 07:34 AM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Just got off the phone with WMW and he pretty much said everybody is wrong regarding the free shipping
Im like whatever, six bucks isn't that big a deal i guess
Well, one of us is confused, and it's probably me. The dipstick shipping was not free. It is $6.00, at least that is what I paid. If you got the dipstick with the incorrect o-ring, the shipping of the correct o-ring from Craven IS free. You need to use the link on the Cravenspeed.com site to get the replacement free o-ring.

Old 05-21-2013 | 07:40 AM
Mark97xp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
Well, one of us is confused, and it's probably me. The dipstick shipping was not free. It is $6.00, at least that is what I paid. If you got the dipstick with the incorrect o-ring, the shipping of the correct o-ring from Craven IS free. You need to use the link on the Cravenspeed.com site to get the replacement free o-ring.
Awww the shipping on the replacement o ring is free not on the dipstick.
I get it now. Regardless the dude on the phone at WMW wasn't to friendly about it.

Old 05-21-2013 | 08:34 AM
InMyMini
2nd Gear
Standard Procedure

Awww the shipping on the replacement o ring is free not on the dipstick.
I get it now. Regardless the dude on the phone at WMW wasn't to friendly about it.

Well that's a shame. I know most others have always given a break as the volume goes up like Helix for example:

Originally Posted by Helix13mini
There's been enough support for another GB that we're going to start one early this year. Once again, we'll ship immediately at the end of the Group Buy, which will be March 1, 2013. We'll honor the same price as the fall intercooler deal which was $599. To sweeten the pot, if we get 20 participants, we'll ship the intercoolers for free*, and if we get 30 participants we'll lower the price to $579. That's $170 savings from the normal price (plus free shipping). .
But even if they aren't there's no reason to be all pissey about it.

Old 05-21-2013 | 05:01 PM
Mark97xp
2nd Gear
So when i talked to the the guy at WMW this morning about my order he said they wouldn't ship it out till thurs. or fri cause they were waiting on the correct o-rings. I thought thats cool as long as they send me the right part.
Well just a couple of minutes ago i get an email saying it shipped
So either they shipped out the dipstick with the wrong o-ring or they suddenly got some more o-rings in.

Old 05-21-2013 | 06:31 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
So when i talked to the the guy at WMW this morning about my order he said they wouldn't ship it out till thurs. or fri cause they were waiting on the correct o-rings. I thought thats cool as long as they send me the right part.
So either they shipped out the dipstick with the wrong o-ring or they suddenly got some more o-rings in.
Maybe Craven over-nighted a bunch to Way, they fixed up a batch and shipped them out, all after your call?

Old 05-21-2013 | 06:33 PM
WayMotorWorks
Former Vendor
Yes yours did ship today since it was for an R53, the orings were fine on them.

Sorry if you thought I was rude, I was just trying to be very clear about the shipping since you said you had seen otherwise and were very upset that it wasn't.

We will continue shipping R56+ dipsticks as soon as we have the orings.

Old 05-21-2013 | 06:53 PM
WayMotorWorks
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by InMyMini
Well that's a shame. I know most others have always given a break as the volume goes up like Helix for example:
I'm kinda taken back by this. Just because it's a group buy we are suppose to give free shipping

We're selling a $63 part, now lets say we are making $10 on this part. If we take $5-6 out of that $10 profit for shipping, then subtract credit card fees, then add the cost of business employees, electricity, and so on. How are we suppose to stay in business? This is exactly why it is hard to get vendors to do a group buy.

As a Vendor the idea of a group buy is cut profit for a group and make it up on the volume, because the group gives you a guarantee on the min you are going to sell.
Now Helix has run Group buys on their intercoolers 5+ times. At what point does the customer realize that it's just a sale?? If they are going to run a buy every 3-4 months, then customers just wait for the buy and get them. Marketing at it's finest, a sale with free shipping.

Old 05-22-2013 | 11:27 AM
InMyMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by waymotorworks
i'm kinda taken back by this. Just because it's a group buy we are suppose to give free shipping
Don't be taken aback by it... I was just hoping for free shipping. Didn't demand it, didn't say I was entitled to it, just wishful thinking.

we're selling a $63 part, now lets say we are making $10 on this part. If we take $5-6 out of that $10 profit for shipping, then subtract credit card fees, then add the cost of business employees, electricity, and so on. How are we suppose to stay in business? This is exactly why it is hard to get vendors to do a group buy.
I totally get the fact that you have costs. In fact I do too. Heck I wish I could buy a ton of stuff for my Mini. But much like you I have other costs to contend with; rent, food, gas, etc. etc. (not to mention the occasional: "Honey, what are you buying for the Mini now?") And I'd certainly never expect you to lose money on the deal. But I'm sure you understand that I'm looking of the best net price overall and if that fits my budget then I can buy it. If not I'm SOL or I have to find an alternative or give up X to get Y, you get the gist.

as a vendor the idea of a group buy is cut profit for a group and make it up on the volume, because the group gives you a guarantee on the min you are going to sell.
Now helix has run group buys on their intercoolers 5+ times. At what point does the customer realize that it's just a sale?? If they are going to run a buy every 3-4 months, then customers just wait for the buy and get them.
This is a deal I availed myself of. A $749 plus $50 shipping ($799 total) item that was first reduced by 20% to $599 where I'd pay the $50 shipping ($649 total). Then as more bought in, it went to a total with shipping discount of 25% ($599 total). This is where I got in. Then I got the added bonus as it went down even further with more buys until it was 28% off ($549 total shipped).

But they also are the distributor of the part so they probably have more margin to play with.

That could be why you can only discount a $74.95 item 16% to $62.95 plus $6 shipping.

Maybe had Craven decided to do this directly they may have been able to knock a few more % points off.

Marketing at it's finest, a sale with free shipping.
I won't argue with that, I mean looks like it worked for Helix:

Originally Posted by GFMINI
Yup, and we didn't even hit 30+. Helix sold out of the 20 units they currently have in stock, so they are giving everyone the $579 shipped price until March 1st.

Something tells me they underestimated the demand this time around...
Reviewing it; looks like they sold at least 35 or $20,265 worth. I'm guessing everyone's happy with that.

Bottom line: If you don't ask you may not get it.
If you do ask; what's the worst thing they might say: No.

But most importantly in all this, Thank You !!!
Thank you for all you do for all of us Mini lovers.
I know we're far better off having you out there than not.

Happy Motoring

Old 05-22-2013 | 11:45 AM
LarriB
3rd Gear
I second the Thank You. We all appreciate it!!!

Old 05-25-2013 | 05:44 AM
Cruzer214
3rd Gear
i received the new oring yesterday and it seems much better. thank you Craven

Old 05-25-2013 | 07:06 AM
uromini
3rd Gear
WOW so these guys charge $6 to ship this thing, expedited in a well packaged box for $6 and its a big deal? ahahahahah hilarious

there was a glitch, they're fixin it (and quickly at that) and shipping the fix for free!

I'm new to the whole mini thing and all the vendors I have seen on here and have bought from (about $2000 worth in the last couple months) have been fantastic!

Here's to looking forward to a future of "tuning" with these vendors.. coming from the VW world these guys are a breath of fresh air... thanks again!

Old 05-25-2013 | 09:33 AM
MikeysM3
1st Gear
Originally Posted by uromini
WOW so these guys charge $6 to ship this thing, expedited in a well packaged box for $6 and its a big deal? ahahahahah hilarious

there was a glitch, they're fixin it (and quickly at that) and shipping the fix for free!

I'm new to the whole mini thing and all the vendors I have seen on here and have bought from (about $2000 worth in the last couple months) have been fantastic!

Here's to looking forward to a future of "tuning" with these vendors.. coming from the VW world these guys are a breath of fresh air... thanks again!
Yes finally someone that appreciate these vendors.
If we don't show appreciation. They will stop making parts for our cars. We should be thankfull for the great vendors we have left.

Old 05-25-2013 | 11:10 AM
uromini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MikeysM3
Yes finally someone that appreciate these vendors.
If we don't show appreciation. They will stop making parts for our cars. We should be thankfull for the great vendors we have left.

my MK1 VW's for the last 8 years were from the late 70's and early 80's so I hear that parts loud and clear! finding a company that made and sold parts was a godsend.. lol

no negativity meant by my post to everyone else but geez, give these guys some slack!

Old 05-25-2013 | 11:23 AM
LarriB
3rd Gear
I got my new o ring direct from Cravenspeed on Thursday. I expected in an envelope with a stamp. Instead it was in a bubble pack. I was even hesitant to put in for the o ring, since the original one fit. I even considered asking for the specs so I could just go to the local hardware store, but they made so easy to order I couldn't resist.

I couldn't be more satisfied!!

Old 05-26-2013 | 03:08 PM
Gerldoc
3rd Gear
After not having been on NAM for a couple of years, I was REALLY pleased to see that the Craven dipstick is back! And, even happier to catch the group buy!!! I just placed an order.

To all who may who have qualms about the price, or the lack of free shipping, or whatever - my advice is, JUMP on this deal! I had to take the front of my car off a few years ago to get to be able to get to the dipstick tube to retrieve a 4 inch piece of broken stock dipstick that was STUCK at the bottom of the tube!

While there was a silver lining, in that I learned how to take off the front of the car, and thus added another topic to my "Girl's Guide to..." posts, it took all the *%$# day....

Thank you, Astro and thank you, WMW!!!

Melanie

Old 05-28-2013 | 09:11 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Thanks Melanie, Enjoy!

Old 05-28-2013 | 11:02 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Gerldoc
After not having been on NAM for a couple of years, I was REALLY pleased to see that the Craven dipstick is back! And, even happier to catch the group buy!!! I just placed an order.

To all who may who have qualms about the price, or the lack of free shipping, or whatever - my advice is, JUMP on this deal! I had to take the front of my car off a few years ago to get to be able to get to the dipstick tube to retrieve a 4 inch piece of broken stock dipstick that was STUCK at the bottom of the tube!

While there was a silver lining, in that I learned how to take off the front of the car, and thus added another topic to my "Girl's Guide to..." posts, it took all the *%$# day....

Thank you, Astro and thank you, WMW!!!

Melanie
YAY!!! I LOVE your 'Girls Guide to...' posts! Does this mean you might post more often?

(((adoring fan )))

Old 05-28-2013 | 12:32 PM
Gerldoc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JoanieB
YAY!!! I LOVE your 'Girls Guide to...' posts! Does this mean you might post more often?

(((adoring fan )))
Hi Joanie!

I just might post more, you never know!

I'm so glad that I did post what I did before, because I had to redo wires in my interior LED lighting system and I completely forgot what-went-where....so I had to go back to my old post and look at the photos - it was SOOOO much easier!

Now I am back to enjoying the ambient orange glow inside the cabin at night - I just love it, and it looks so cool in the Chili Red interior!

Your Winnie looks really cute, BTW

Cheers,
Melanie

Old 05-28-2013 | 02:44 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Kellen
Good morning, NAM. Sounds like we ran into a problem over the weekend. Well, the solution is already in place, so fear not.

Almost all of the dipsticks for this group buy were assembled just last week as quickly as possible to get them out to you. It looks like the one's that were made last week were made with the wrong o-ring. Not a cheap one, not the one out of the wrong bin (we are better organized than that). We got sent the wrong size, then we went ahead and sent you the wrong size. Either way, I know it is our fault, and we apologize. Here is how we are going to fix it;

http://www.cravenspeed.com/dipstick-o-ring/

Follow the link, put the free part in your cart, and checkout for free. We'll have the correct sized o-rings here tomorrow and we'll send them right back out as soon as we can.

Thanks for your patience and understanding, I am sorry about the error.

-=Kellen

Got my replacement/correct o-ring the other day! Just wanted to thank you again for the swift and seamless response to our dilemma! It now fits like a glove.

Old 05-28-2013 | 03:55 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Originally Posted by gezz81
Got my replacement/correct o-ring the other day! Just wanted to thank you again for the swift and seamless response to our dilemma! It now fits like a glove.
Very good, Thanks!

Old 05-28-2013 | 04:55 PM
user 837978240
Banned
Ordered two of these. They are excellent indeed.

Old 05-29-2013 | 08:53 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Thanks, G33KGUY. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Group buy on cravenspeed dipstick?