R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Clutch bleeding question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 05:21 PM
tbearmini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch bleeding question

I searched and read a bunch of threads about compressing the clutch slave cylinder when bleeding. However, most of the threads deal with pumping the clutch pedal or replacing the slave itself.

If I am using a pressure bleeder and won't be pressing the clutch, will anything happen or does the cylinder need to be compressed to get any fluid through the slave?

Only reason I want to do this is because just changed out the brakes and it looked like the fluid had been there a long, long time.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
As long as you do not bleed it dry you will be ok and won't need to bleed the slave cylinder.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:32 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tbearmini
I searched and read a bunch of threads about compressing the clutch slave cylinder when bleeding. However, most of the threads deal with pumping the clutch pedal or replacing the slave itself.

If I am using a pressure bleeder and won't be pressing the clutch, will anything happen or does the cylinder need to be compressed to get any fluid through the slave?

Only reason I want to do this is because just changed out the brakes and it looked like the fluid had been there a long, long time.
It's too bad they didn't put the bleed valve on the other end of the cylinder..... You won't be able to get the old fluid (nor potential air) out of the clutch slave cylinder without compressing the piston.

You can bleed the line without bleeding the slave though.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:34 PM
tbearmini
3rd Gear
The brakes went fine (I actually think the car had the original rotors on it). Since I have the bleeder out was going to put the wrench to the clutch slave and see if I can push any new fluid through it. So I should be okay as long as I don't push the clutch pedal?

Old 05-26-2013, 05:35 PM
tbearmini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AlexQS
It's too bad they didn't put the bleed valve on the other end of the cylinder..... You won't be able to get the old fluid (nor potential air) out of the clutch slave cylinder without compressing the piston.
Got it. Guess I'll either just leave it or see if someone ever sells the official clutch tool for it.

How can I bleed the line (and is it worth it in your opinion)?

Old 05-26-2013, 06:40 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just did my brakes, and did not do the clutch.

If the reason you're wanting to do it, is because the fluid has been there a long long time, I don't see the point of flushing the line if you're not going to compress the piston to get all that old fluid out of there too.

How's the operation of your clutch?

I did the brakes because its not only a maintenance item, but one that maintains safety at that. There are performance gains to be had with the brakes as well. I didn't see as many benefits with the clutch, and thought flushing the line only is like doing it halfway. There may be some potential corrosion issues that I'm ignoring, but my clutch works fine.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:23 PM
tbearmini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AlexQS
I just did my brakes, and did not do the clutch.

If the reason you're wanting to do it, is because the fluid has been there a long long time, I don't see the point of flushing the line if you're not going to compress the piston to get all that old fluid out of there too.

How's the operation of your clutch?

I did the brakes because its not only a maintenance item, but one that maintains safety at that. There are performance gains to be had with the brakes as well. I didn't see as many benefits with the clutch, and thought flushing the line only is like doing it halfway. There may be some potential corrosion issues that I'm ignoring, but my clutch works fine.
Clutch seems to work fine although it releases pretty close to the floor. I guess I'll wait until I need to replace the clutch slave before worrying about it.