R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Diagnostic Cable Experience or Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:58 PM
rennwerkes
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diagnostic Cable Experience or Feedback?

Anyone have any experience with the BMW/Mini Diagnostic Cables on Ebay?
I understand they give you the ability to read factory codes and program options on the computer.
Just can't see dropping $$$'s at the stealer.
Thanks

Old 06-13-2013, 10:58 AM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The cable just acts as a connector. You have to install software to communicate with the car's computer. I know when I was searching for a cable last year that most of the Ebay sellers offered the software with cable purchase. Just be mindful that there are several versions of each software program and some of the older versions are better for certain things than the newer versions.

My opinion:
Some of the cables have to be modified for certain applications, and the software install is not straightforward like one would wish it to be. In addition, it is very possible and very easy to mess up a programming option that will cause your car to be inoperable. The menu systems on each different program (there are multiple programs that do different things) are NOT straightforward either and it takes some research and/or digging to find what you are looking for. IF after reading all of that you still want to proceed, I recommend doing a lot of reading on INPA, Progman, GT1, Ediabas, NCSexpert, and VMware BEFORE ordering a cable.

Hope this helps. Not trying to scare you off, just being honest about the process.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:23 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
I've used the cable/software sold by bmcables.com to success.

I am having some trouble getting the new software to install correctly on my Macbook Pro, but on my desktop PC it runs fine. I'm sure I'll be able to sort it out once I have some time.

My previous cable from them, which required pretty involved computer setup, worked well in my MINI. They did include a how-to for all the computer setup.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:22 PM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, so I either did not find this place or it wasn't in business when I went through the process last year.

If their claim is true, all of what I said about installing the programs above can be wiped clean. From their site, "We have developed a new one click installer software application so you don't have to spend hours (or even days) setting up the software. No more fiddling around with registry settings, editing paths etc."

Good find gknorr.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:49 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
I can confirm that it all does install on my desktop PC, but, like I said, I'm having some issues getting it installed on a 2012 Macbook Pro. The software installer doesn't think the driver for the cable is installed when Windows device manager shows the driver as being installed. Hoping to sort it out soon...